Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail
So who all makes Contender barrels these days?

I have several barrels, all of which save for one are older T/C Carbine tubes. Most shoot pretty well, more than sufficient for hunting use. The 22lr "match" chamber shoots as well as my other .22's, as to say, well under 1/2" at 25 yards.

I have one MGM tube, a .357 Magnum stainless bull barrel. It shoots damn well with 158 XTP hollow points, under an inch at 100 yards. I put it together for Ohio Whitetails when they passed straight wall pistol caliber rifles a few years back.

Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Not a Contender but in an Encore I sized brass so that the action would just barely shut, kind of had to snap it. No issues w brass stretching that I could tell.

i mostly neck-size also on the various bottleneck cartridges in my 'tenders. When forming 30herrett, 357herrett, 30reece, 25classic, and the other oddball stuff i shoot i also set dies so as to require a good snap to close the action on a fresh case during
the initial fire-forming.

On some calibers i hunt with a bit (25/35ackley, 6.5x30/30ackley, & 30/30 ackley) a .375win FL sizer die works nicely to size case bodies down as needed without setting back the shoulder.

What Fyrepower said. I have a 7x30 Waters, and after the initial fireforming, I neck size only, and have pretty good brass life with the Federal 30-30 brass I'm using. My 357 Magnum tube doesn't stretch the brass anymore than running them in a revolver.

Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a good looking Contender. Is that the 18" 32 barrel? I think you pushed me over the edge, I may order one right after Christmas. Not to sound petty, but how did you do the camo patter on the stock? I love that. Looks great!

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by J23

That's a good looking Contender. Is that the 18" 32 barrel? I think you pushed me over the edge, I may order one right after Christmas. Not to sound petty, but how did you do the camo patter on the stock? I love that. Looks great!

J23...that one is an 18" barrel...i wanted light & quick swinging. I originally had it topped with hi-viz fiber optic type sights; later went to low powered scopes on most barrels like that.

I got bored with black tupperware stocksets, so sanded them a tad bit, then cleaned surfaces with Berryman's B12 Carb Cleaner to degrease. ...for paint i used outdoor paint i got at hobby lobby that was supposed to be for stuff like outdoor patio furniture & made a brush to blot it on using a wad of roll gauze i frayed.... i blot lightly & just slap it on there. Done about 6 sets of them so far, seems to be holding up OK. Only wear i've noticed was where one of those that had a wider bull barrel forend is tight in the gunrack of the 4 wheeler the paint has rubbed off some, need to go back & touch that up.

I recall the paint was cheap, around $2-$3 a small bottle. i just dabbed it on, and sometimes mixed a few colors to get different shades... after drying i sprayed lightly with clear sealer...a few pix of the home-brewed paint jobs.

============================================================

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Proly get one as a belated Xmas present to myself.
Currently down to one Contender, older version.
Bought cheap, evidently had trigger job, as it bumps off easy and trigger pull is light.
Would prefer it a bit heavier.

Have not taken it apart to see what needs modified.
Wonder if I need just a spring change or notch deepened somewhere.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I like your paint job. Hard to mess those up too badly. If you don't like the way it looks, just start over.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Those stocks look great!! What a huge difference over the black tupperware.

I have one with the black plastic, and three with walnut. Two are the older G1 factory walnut with the factory pencil thin 21" barrels, and one is a newer G2 wood.

I dont like the new G2 stock.. way too bulky for the handy little G1 frame. So I put it on the bull barreled .357.

I was just looking at MGM, specing out a 32H&R barrel. Not sure if I should stay with the factory 21" length or have it cut to 18". SS or CM. I'll definately go with the medium contour. The options are endless. I think that's why I like Contenders so much.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like the factory plastic but used a G2 forend and added a cheekpiece made of kydex. The G2 forend had #8 shot and epoxy added to hollows for more weight fwd. Was kinda twitchy w super 16 bbl

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got a email yesterday, they’re gonna ship April 3rd now..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Got a email yesterday, they’re gonna ship April 3rd now..

+1
frown

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I signed up for one, but the date has slipped to May, I believe. Hope this isn't vaporware. I opted to pay by M.O. when it's ready because of that. If it slips again, I'll bail.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
FyrepowrX

Beautiful job on the stock set, better than what's available commercially.

Steve.........

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.