Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good morning, looking to see if anyone has done any tests with these bullets. I have real world experience with the A Frame on Buffalo (2), but now with the Woodleighs. The reason I pose this query is because on more than one occasion, I've heard Woodleighs are relatively soft, particularly at MVs exceeding 2150 or so.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you get a Rigby, Jorge?

I’ve heard the same re Woodleighs. Have no first hand with them though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See page 7, starting at post 128, for my experience.

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...aris-exceeding-expectations.53046/page-7

Be sure to also see posts #155 and 157

Last edited by Tarbe; 11/05/19.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A-Frame

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good read, thanks. Glad I used Aframes. MM, it's a CZ Safari. I took a Ruger RSM to Africa for buffalo, but sold it a few years ago. I'm using the same loads to test the CZ and the interesting fact is this rifle, although it has 1" longer barrel, velocities were slower. I also have a stash of (very) old, original 410gr Hornady solids with the thick steel lining that shoot to POI with the A-Frames.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Good read, thanks. Glad I used Aframes. MM, it's a CZ Safari. I took a Ruger RSM to Africa for buffalo, but sold it a few years ago. I'm using the same loads to test the CZ and the interesting fact is this rifle, although it has 1" longer barrel, velocities were slower. I also have a stash of (very) old, original 410gr Hornady solids with the thick steel lining that shoot to POI with the A-Frames.

Jorge, I would be interested in your assessment of the RSM Rigby vs. the CZ.

My bud took his .416 Rigby RSM to Zim, shot a 41" buff. His PH liked the RSM, but said it was too heavy. His back up gun was a push feed M-70 in .416 Rem. loaded with 400 TSX ammo.

Another bud is planning a buff hunt next year. He had a push feed magnum M-70 that was a gift and has nostalgic value for him. We sent it to David Christman for retrofit with a 24", #5 Shilen and action work to accommodate the .416 Rem. David installed cross pins, I Steel Bedded the action. We fitted a Trijicon 1-6 that I found here on the Classifieds. It's pretty light for a big gun, compared with the RSM. We're waiting on which bullet his PH prefers...

I loaded some "rabbit loads" to shoot WT's and hogs as he gets used to it. I used the 350 Speer over enough 4064 to reach 2,225 fps. It kicks but is manageable. We sighted it on a standing bench like Elmer advocated.

The Zim bull was killed with a 400 TSX. It was a raking shot, passing around 50" thru the bull, bullet recovered. He ran. Bud says they got after him too quick. He was down but got up when pursued, ran into some thick stuff. As they approached, guns ready, they came up on him lying dead. Bud says PH didn't give him enough time to bleed out. Wounded buff in thick stuff's gotta be a serious "pucker factor" moment... shocked

Here's the bullet and the buff..

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Simply put, there is NO better bullet and especially in this application than a TSX. In a 416, the 350 is an even better choice according to Randy and Connie Brooks and I tend to agree. My rifle shoots them just fine and I will probably use them if/when I ever get back . As to the comparison , your PH's assessment is spot on. I had one of the original 416 RSMs (like No 11 off the line or close to it, I forget). There were some initial stories about the stocks splitting, so I had mine bedded (well the big metal insert in the stock). I also had an issue with the bolt binding, and Mark Penrod tuned it to perfection. The rifle was scary accurate, I mean a half MOA group was a bad day and it didn't care what you fed it.
My load was 90.2gr of IMR 4350 and that gave me around 2375 fps. The rifle was very front heavy and had no barrel band on a 24" barrel. Subsequent models were cut to 23. The CZ has a 25" barrel, but it balances better, maybe because there is more meat in the action and it does hold an extra round. Bottom line it's a toss up. The CZ could use an action polishing, but so far no issues and I work the action hard and fast at the range. Also, the barrel is slower even though it's an inch longer. The RSM would spit them out about 50-75 fps faster. As to the push feed issue. I have no problem with them....just as long as its not a 700 action. I'd rather use a Swiss Army knife smile

J

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've read those accounts about the 350 TSX. I've read and heard it said, the PH often has an opinion about the "perfect buff bullet".

Question: If you insist on your bullet choice and things don't do as scripted, would the thinking be that you should have listened to the pro. It may be an unspoken thing, as PH's try to accommodate clients,

Bottom line: How would you handle using the 350 TSX, knowing what you know, if the PH was pretty set on using 400 gr bullets...

What's Kosher in that situation?

DF

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I write the check and I know my rifle and ballistics better than most PHs anyway. I fact from what I can tell, most PHs particularly the older crowd, still insist on the silly notion of solids for buffalo.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, I write the check and I know my rifle and ballistics better than most PHs anyway. I fact from what I can tell, most PHs particularly the older crowd, still insist on the silly notion of solids for buffalo.

Spot on!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am in the throws of planning a trip to the Caprivi. My trip to Matetse a couple of years ago landed a solid bull that just crumbled to the 350 gr TSX from my 416 Remington at 120 yards. If things sort out the same combo will see Namibia, trophy and non-trophy (<40"). For a number of years the TSX or TTSX has been my go to.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Never tried the softs, but I have taken a couple of elephants with a .416 Rigby solids. Worked fine. I will be using it again in 10 days for another ele in the Caprivi.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Best of luck, Jorge.

It wasn't a 416, but my two cape buffalo both fell to first shots from a 375 H&H with 350gr woodleigh PP's. Neither were recovered. I was happy with the woodleigh's performance.

Brandon Gleason
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have confidence in the Woodleighs, us them in my double and a couple of other calibers, but from my limited hunting experience, when my 416 goes afield, it'll be loaded with TSXs and if for some reason they were unavailable, I'd use the Woodleigs with no problems

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No experience with the Woodleigh's. With that being said, they would third on my list.

Last year, PH stated "400gr TSX or A Frames, whichever shoot best in your rifle." TSX shot best, and worked perfectly.

I now have a 416 Remington in a Model 70. If/when I go back, this would be my order of preference.
1. 350gr T/TSX
2. 400gr TSX
3. 400gr A Frame

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Woodleigh would be my pick if the bull is in a herd situation and then the rest of the magazine would hold Barnes or A-Frames. All will do the deed.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

563 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 160user, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,290
Posts18,448,930
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.