Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Utah has a 46% "sin tax" on alcohol

Say what?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree on JW Black, it’s pretty good. Don’t really buy it because of the price point but when I do have it, it’s not bad at all. Pretty sure there’s Talisker AND Caol Ila in it so, you know.

Recently had the JW Blenders Batch wine cask blend and thought it was a really good deal for ~$20 a bottle. Dunno if it’s still available.

They call JW Green a vatted malt instead of blended (because it is) but for $55 a bottle with an age statement of 15years it’s pretty bad ass. I expect you’ll scold me for bringing up vatting in a blended thread, like a bastard, but I’m committed now. And I don’t drink all that many blends due to things.

Few months ago I was at Walgreens and they had on clearance Famous Grouse for $4 a bottle! I bought them out, having never tasted it before, roughly a dozen bottles. It’s not bad, plenty better than $4!! Figured even if I just needed a few quick Molotov cocktails I’d still be getting a good deal:)

M
mathman Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by huntinaz
I agree on JW Black, it’s pretty good. Don’t really buy it because of the price point but when I do have it, it’s not bad at all. Pretty sure there’s Talisker AND Caol Ila in it so, you know.

Recently had the JW Blenders Batch wine cask blend and thought it was a really good deal for ~$20 a bottle. Dunno if it’s still available.

They call JW Green a vatted malt instead of blended (because it is) but for $55 a bottle with an age statement of 15years it’s pretty bad ass. I expect you’ll scold me for bringing up vatting in a blended thread, like a bastard, but I’m committed now. And I don’t drink all that many blends due to things.

Few months ago I was at Walgreens and they had on clearance Famous Grouse for $4 a bottle! I bought them out, having never tasted it before, roughly a dozen bottles. It’s not bad, plenty better than $4!! Figured even if I just needed a few quick Molotov cocktails I’d still be getting a good deal:)

These days the industry calls those blended malt. Check the label.

[Linked Image from cdn4.masterofmalt.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by huntinaz

These days the industry calls those blended malt. Check the label.

[Linked Image from cdn4.masterofmalt.com]

Yessss. Then I can safely recommend it in this thread. Really good. Blend of Talisker, Caol Ila, Cragganmore and Linkwood with a 15yr age statement for under $60. That’s a deal.

When I first had it, roughly 15 years ago, the story on the box made a big deal about how it was not a blend, but a vatting.

M
mathman Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The "official" terminology has changed since, and I don't care for the change either.

Some of the best whisky of any type to cross my bar was a high age statement Famous Grouse labeled vatted malt.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Utah has a 46% "sin tax" on alcohol, so the brands you guys recommend are prohibitive here. When I travel, I enjoy a tumbler or three of the good stuff; but at home, it's Famous Grouse, mostly.

Sounds to me as if you need to make the short drive to Wyoming, Rocky. laugh

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That “ sin tax” is tough! They don’t want you all to drink or what?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is of course illegal to drive to Wyoming, Idaho, or Nevada to buy booze - but at least half the cars in the lots there have Utah plates!

The dominant religion here realizes it can't stop people from drinking, but they can make it unattractive through punitive pricing. And, those taxes come to them, making the sin tax doubly attractive. Other states collect healthy taxes on booze, too. So the difference isn't as great as you might think across the border. But it IS substantial.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t always drink Scotch, but when I do, I prefer Glenlivet.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was wrong. It was a four pack. Black, Blue, Platinum and Gold, IIRC.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by hatari
Famous Grouse. Try it!

The Scots prefer a blend and laugh at us Americans that spend more on single malt. Their stance is a blend is consistent bottle to bottle and year to year. They know what they are buying. Single malts can vary from not much to extreme.

Plus there is a grouse on the label

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround
I don’t always drink Scotch, but when I do,I prefer Glenlivet.

Originally Posted by lastround
I don’t always drink Scotch, but when I do,I prefer Glenlivet.

It's a good choice, IMO. It's my always-on-hand Scotch. I like the 12 y/o.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I looked.

Didn't have any.

Jim Beam black tonight.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For an inexpensive blended Scotch that is very consistent try Bell's. First had it in Scotland, that was what many of the locals drank. I prefer the single malt's, but some blends are not bad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I looked.

Didn't have any.

Jim Beam black tonight.

That's some rot-gut shi t. It's not as bad as Evan Williams though. I'd rather have Old Crow than either. Not Ten High. I haven't drank Ten High since 1983 in Manhattan, Kansas.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I looked.

Didn't have any.

Jim Beam black tonight.

No Scotch...? Heathen

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Johnny Walker Green is probably the best of the stable, but that really isn't Scotch, imho. Monkey Shoulder is the best of the blends, if one must.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For blends, I like Compass Box Spice Tree.

Ted
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Only thing I drink is JW Black. Good thing Christmas is coming up so someone can give me another bottle. A bottle will last me a year.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Local grocery chain used to have a “clearance” on slow moving stock. Picked up a 1.75 liter jug of JWalker black for $25. I was never a scotch guy but It is about half gone. I really enjoy it in small doses with a cigar.

CK
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.