Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Once or twice a year, I clean up my work shop. It consists of three areas. The first is for bullet making and storage. The second is for gun repairs, and the third houses lead, cast bullets and related equipment. There is an unofficial fourth area in my office upstairs, where I keep what it is that I'm playing with currently.

As you can see, I'm not a very good housekeeper. You likely have a work shop or reloading area that looks the same, or worse!

In truth, I don't actually tidy up every bit of this space. I never go through every shelf and box. I bet you don't either. I also have an 8x10 room that was once a cold cellar, nicknamed "Shawn's Tornado Room". It became the tornado room after my oldest grandson started watching those twister movies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Some of the junk

Besides being a safe place where a person can go to stay safe from tornadoes, it's used for lead storage, spent rimfire cases and anything else that isn't affected by the cooler temperature.

It's normal to see stuff stacked or sitting all over the shop. There are hidey holes under tables, things wedged between equipment, and for me at least, things stored in old filing cabinets and discarded office furniture.

This stuff has accumulated over the years. If you have a shop, you have probably forgotten exactly what "stuff" is hidden inside. Me too. Those plastic tubs, wooden boxes and ammo cans all contain something, so it's best to reacquaint yourself with whatever's inside every few years. That's why I'll have a peek every now and then.

My wife calls the shop "junky", but you cannot have a love for something without making a mess. That's what I tell her, and I believe it. I'm lucky because she rarely ventures into my space.

An old, metal filing cabinet

Recently, I decided to move some benches around so that I could bring in a couple of shelving units. My grandson Shawn loves hanging out in the room and came over to help me make a mess. He started moving some "empty" Rubbermaid storage boxes out from under one of the work benches but stopped.

"Grampa, this tub has stuff in it"

So we opened it.

I was excited. It's kind of like Christmas – opening a big, heavy present, and not knowing what's inside.

It was another of my time capsules. I label everything and noted the date – 2005. It's not clear in the above picture, but the contents were 1200 home made .224 bullets from 49 to 70 grains that I was supposed to test. Some were made using Berger J4 jackets. Others had jackets made from fired rimfire cases. There were also 60 lightweight 42.5 grain 224 bullets that were originally made for one of my 22 Hornets.

Hmmm. Then I remembered putting the box away. Those bullets were destined for whatever 223 rifle I owned in 2005. It was probably the Savage that became my heavy barreled 6x45mm.

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever started a project, or bought some bullets, rings, bases, or other equipment that you forgot about or thought you lost?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh you know it, but it is cool finding something that you thought you lost or sold. How's the 6.5x55??? Shot it yet
.??? Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's for sure.

I'll be out later in the week to sight in the Swede. I figure to put some 140s downrange.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never lost any loading stuff. Forgot I had some it on occasion. Thus I have minor duplication. Steve, the way to stop collecting this stuff is to run out of room for storage.

Ask me how I know.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cannot run out of space. I have an insulated driving shed and part of a barn. Whoever has to clean up after I leave for the Happy Hunting Ground will have his work cut out for him. I will have to cut back though, but it's like Lay's potato chips - Betcha can't eat just one.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just recently packed up and moved residences. I was shocked at the amount of components I had. I think 32 lbs of smokeless, but there were some duplicates. shocked And a decent collection of 405 Winchester projectiles, Barnes and Hornady, and some home cast stuff as well. Enjoy it while it lasts. wink

No-wheres near as much as you, Steve.

Last edited by the_shootist; 11/04/19.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, it's amazing what accumulates. I hope your move went well. Moving around was one of the least favourite things about my years in the service. The wife and I vowed never to move once my service days were done.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I only served in 3 locations while policing, and a couple temporary postings, but that was in just over thirty years. Having a house built here in MB. The older I get, the more difficult adaptation to change becomes. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks familiar. I have been buying and collecting guns since I was a kid, nearly 60 years ago. I don't need to go into detail about my "meagre" piles of stuff. A few years back, I bought an old shop in the "downtown" area of my small town. I refurbished half, plus made an office and a separate heated room to keep things at a decent temperature. I go there nearly every afternoon in the winter and reload, cast bullets, etc. Some days I don't get much done because of hot stove league meetings, or going down a rabbit hole on the 'net.

I have a gun room at home, where I keep another pile. 'nuff said. grin

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I only served in 3 locations while policing, and a couple temporary postings, but that was in just over thirty years. Having a house built here in MB. The older I get, the more difficult adaptation to change becomes. blush

You're not alone.:)

Originally Posted by kjohn
Looks familiar. I have been buying and collecting guns since I was a kid, nearly 60 years ago. I don't need to go into detail about my "meagre" piles of stuff. A few years back, I bought an old shop in the "downtown" area of my small town. I refurbished half, plus made an office and a separate heated room to keep things at a decent temperature. I go there nearly every afternoon in the winter and reload, cast bullets, etc. Some days I don't get much done because of hot stove league meetings, or going down a rabbit hole on the 'net.

I have a gun room at home, where I keep another pile. 'nuff said. grin

As long as you are happy, that's all that matters.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.