Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
have y'all known tikka t3x's to be sensitive to action screw torque as far as shooting groups? reason i ask is 4 of my tikkas t3-t3x mix shoot great at 40in/lb but my superlite in 7mm rem mag just don't like 40in/lb and even worse at 45in/lb. it seemed to settle down some providing 3/4" 3 shot group at 100 yds at 35in/lb. not gonna bed it so don't come at me with that please. just wondering if its a common thing for tikka t3/t3x to react to action screw pressure/torque like that.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New one. You sitting on the lug right?

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 16bore

oh yeah its seated. bounced a few times on the buttpad to seat like i do will all my other tikkas.if it wasn't seated it would be a huge gap at forend tip correct?
thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As best as I remember. I can’t say I’ve ever seen one sensitive to torque in that way.

You certain the front action screw isn’t hitting the bolt head? Or the front scope base screw? I’ve seen that one.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
i'm using the same warne base i use on all my tikkas but i'll check. never had an issue with too long a bolt but there always a first i guess. how would you know? rubbed or scratched place on the bolt head?
thanks,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
45 on all of mine.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore

Id suspect not. Ive seen it multiple times.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's not seating correctly, it's probably nothing you did, but something that came like that from the factory.

That is why bedding is instrumental and people see such a benefit not only in group size but consistency.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i'm using the same warne base i use on all my tikkas but i'll check. never had an issue with too long a bolt but there always a first i guess. how would you know? rubbed or scratched place on the bolt head?
thanks,
Big Ed

Sharpie.

I’ve seen the front base screw make a mess of TTG’s (Typical Tikka Groups 😂)

You could always sharpie the lug and see what’s doing.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
so, i pulled the bolt out and there aren't any scratches or marrs where it looks like a screw has been rubbing the bolt lugs. guess i could unscrew the action screws and take the barreled action outta the stock and reseat the action into the stock lug. i don't think thats it but i'm ready to try something different short of bedding. all my other tikkas shoot half minute routinely as long as i squeeze the trigger right but this one is a touch different. best i've gotten is 3/4" which i'm fine with if its repeatable.
Big Ed

Last edited by whitearrow; 11/06/19.

Col. Townsend Whelen
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it possible you swapped the front and rear action screws?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
still the long one in rear and short one in front of mag correct?thinking about just disassembling barreled action from stock jut to see if lug is engaged. don't see how it can't be as the screws caught plenty threads and there is no rocking of action and no gap between barrel and stock.
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It is possible for the front screw to catch
still the long one in rear and short one in front of mag correct?thinking about just disassembling barreled action from stock jut to see if lug is engaged. don't see how it can't be as the screws caught plenty threads and there is no rocking of action and no gap between barrel and stock.
Big Ed

It is possible for the action to not be seated on the lug and still have enough threads catch that it tightens down, the odd thing about it is that when looking at the rifle you would think that it would be very obvious that the action is not seated - Not So, if one looks carefully the action will not be quite level and the barrel does not look like it is sticking above the stock. I had a friend who was having an accuracy problem with his Tikka and that was the cause.

I don't remember if it was here but a couple of weeks ago someone had a post citing a similar problem as yours. I suggested that he remove the action from the stock and be sure that the action seats on the lug - he did and it fixed the issue.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by drover
It is possible for the front screw to catch
Big Ed

It is possible for the action to not be seated on the lug and still have enough threads catch that it tightens down, the odd thing about it is that when looking at the rifle you would think that it would be very obvious that the action is not seated - Not So, if one looks carefully the action will not be quite level and the barrel does not look like it is sticking above the stock. I had a friend who was having an accuracy problem with his Tikka and that was the cause.

I don't remember if it was here but a couple of weeks ago someone had a post citing a similar problem as yours. I suggested that he remove the action from the stock and be sure that the action seats on the lug - he did and it fixed the issue.

drover

Thanks drover but there is no absolute way to “know” you are over the lug. You can eyeball it and when it slips on and the action doesn’t rock back and forth you “should” be in the correct position. I’ve even had the stock kinda make a popping noise when the lug mated up with the action recess then you press her on. Tomorrow I’m gonna pull the stock off and reseat the action into the stock.
Thanks for the suggestions men,
Big Ed

Col. Townsend Whelen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.