Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow 'Fire Canucks and those who peruse the Canada section;

Good evening to you all, I trust all is well in your parts of the globe.

This morning before work I ran across this video on one of my favorite channels - Forgotten Weapons.

Honestly I've lost count of how many Cooey arms I've owned over the years - well and still have secured in various areas about the place for that matter.

My late father bought his first 39 for $3.50 back in the day and as far as I am aware it's still dealing with pests.

Anyway hopefully it's both educational for some and a walk down pleasant memories for others.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/06/19.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Always enjoy the forgotten guns videos.

Had one of the Lakeside guns about 10 years ago. Very poorly made.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you good friend Dwayne, Cooey is as Canadian as the maple leaf, pine trees, and Red Rose tea.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Dwayne. I remember my Cooey, As I was a a kid I was real Intrested in positional shooting through our club, reciever sighted, European made match rifles.
So I put a Wiliams reciever sight on my Cooey, that I earned through chores. I refuse to use the club's rifles and all targets were scored and recorded at 20 yards.
The lock time was quite long compared to the fine anshuetz target .22's. I persisted though

S
S
I read the forum post on here about Cooey firearms the day this video was posted on his channel, and got excited like a kid waiting for Saturday morning cartoons. wink

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
, That was enjoyable. I still have Dads Cory 22 single shot. He wasn't much for altering firearms but he managed to file down the trigger & get rid off about a pound in sawdust. It has shot well over 1000 muskrats, umpteen ground hogs, a few deer, beef cattle when being butchered, rabbits, squirrels, bull frogs, beaver, crows, starlings, coon, (not that kind) a few coyotes, fox, & ??????! Always wanted to scope it & reeeeelly see what it might do. But I may be disappointed so I'll leave well enough alone & keep the imagination rolling along. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
, That was enjoyable. I still have Dads Cory 22 single shot. He wasn't much for altering firearms but he managed to file down the trigger & get rid off about a pound in sawdust. It has shot well over 1000 muskrats, umpteen ground hogs, a few deer, beef cattle when being butchered, rabbits, squirrels, bull frogs, beaver, crows, starlings, coon, (not that kind) a few coyotes, fox, & ??????! Always wanted to scope it & reeeeelly see what it might do. But I may be disappointed so I'll leave well enough alone & keep the imagination rolling along. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thank you good friend Dwayne, Cooey is as Canadian as the maple leaf, pine trees, and Red Rose tea.

wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope all is well with you and your fine family.

Of course you are most welcome and I'm glad you and some others here have enjoyed it.

Whilst I had to dig around in the memory banks to find this one, here's a sample of what was in the safe at one time.

The top one is a Model 60 - in very good shape internally and fed quite smoothly too as I recall. It's since gone onto a new home.

The second from the top is a very fine Model 39 from the era when the butt plate was still steel. I'm not sure how old that would be, but as a kid I don't recall any new ones with steel butt plates - they were all plastic by the late '60's so this one predated them. It went away on a trade.

The next one down is a "pass around" arm which I shortened the barrel on a 39 and a buddy shortened and trimmed up the stock from a 75. Our girls used it, then buddy's grand daughter, then another buddy's grand kids and finally it's with another friend teaching his kids to shoot. It is emphatically not for sale, but is something that I put together to loan out indefinitely as a training aid for the next shift of shooters.

Finally the bottom one is a very, very reworked 75 which used to have some semi-serious receiver sights on it, but then I traded into an ancient El Paso Target 8X with built in rings from Kesselrings I believe. I reworked the sear, built a new trigger, modified the bolt and installed a recoil lug of sorts - so I could epoxy bed the thing into the stock.

It actually shoots quite well from a good rest - as comerade said, it's a slowwww lock time on them. grin

[Linked Image]

A good friend up the valley collects the shotguns and my goodness do we have fun finding pristine examples at the local shops and gun shows. As mentioned we're always on the hunt for a 28, but so far haven't even laid hands on one.

Lastly, in the dim recesses of my mind I know I've worked on at least one Cooey center fire rifle - likely an '06 - and no, it's not exactly a Model 70 as I recall it.

Anyway thanks for looking and for letting me walk down some very pleasant lanes in my memory.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.