Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

60+ years using spinning gear for all manner of fishing here in PA and NY.
Mitchell 300’s
D-A-M Quick 2000
D-A-M Quick 220N
Penn 4300 SS

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer/
To answer the original question about the Stella is that it is an incredible reel worth the money if you are a serious fisherman. It will last a very long time when a lesser reel would have to be replaced several times.
Crypes for the price one of those Stella reels ought to catch 'em, clean 'em and cook 'em all by itself. I realize I don't fish as much as some here, realistically probably only 30-40 days a year but my god man, my Garcia Cardinal cost 29.99 12 years ago and has caught a boatload of fish. Now I'm sure it ain't as smooth and sophisticated as a Stella but It still shows no sign of giving up the ghost. Same could be said for my Mitchell 300 and 308, which if I remember right, cost about the same. You'd have to burn through about 20 of those reels to equal the cost of one Stella and that would take more years of fishing your ass off to accomplish than most people have on this earth.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by weagle
I started using Zebco Cardinals back in the 70s and that's what I still fish with. Plenty of them available on ebay. Light, smooth and fast; I have some I've been fishing hard for 40+ years.

+1
I figure my oldest - still in use - goes back almost 50 years now. Not quite, but almost!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Poconojack

60+ years using spinning gear for all manner of fishing here in PA and NY.
Mitchell 300’s
D-A-M Quick 2000
D-A-M Quick 220N
Penn 4300 SS

As I recall D-A-M reels were made in Germany......built like Panzers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer/
To answer the original question about the Stella is that it is an incredible reel worth the money if you are a serious fisherman. It will last a very long time when a lesser reel would have to be replaced several times.
Crypes for the price one of those Stella reels ought to catch 'em, clean 'em and cook 'em all by itself. I realize I don't fish as much as some here, realistically probably only 30-40 days a year but my god man, my Garcia Cardinal cost 29.99 12 years ago and has caught a boatload of fish. Now I'm sure it ain't as smooth and sophisticated as a Stella but It still shows no sign of giving up the ghost. Same could be said for my Mitchell 300 and 308, which if I remember right, cost about the same. You'd have to burn through about 20 of those reels to equal the cost of one Stella and that would take more years of fishing your ass off to accomplish than most people have on this earth.

To each his own. I have no problem paying for quality if it enhances my enjoyment. I used to have to explain myself every year to folks who just didn't understand how I could catch 2 or 3 fish to their 1. I would explain my technique and so forth, but most of the time, it was simply the fact that the equipment I was using put me at an advantage. Now days, if it is a good friend or someone I trust, I tell them to just bring whatever snacks and such they need, I will provide all of the tackle and gear to include rods and reels. I like to try new stuff as much as the next person, but I know what I like and luckily my job allows me to afford it.

CK
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I fish about 180 days a year and always used the low end shimanos. Switched to Pflueger Presidents and feel they are much better. Much beefier bail and bail spring. Quality smooth reel with a great drag and only around 60 bucks.

Am sitting here looking at my new President, waiting on the wife to get ready to go to town to buy some FireLine to spool it up.

Been using low/medium end Shimanos forever. Broke two rods last weekend when my cooler fell on them in my truck trying not to kill a dog in the middle of the road, and decided to go with a Fenwick/Phlueger set up to replace my broken rod.

Hoping it is as good as everyone says, as come tomorrow I will be chasing 20 plus pound cutthroat trout with the new set up! Thanks for the indirect advice all you President fans...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You're going to like that Pflueger President....I own 4 of them. Good reels for the $$

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to several reviews I've read the new Shimano Stradic FL at around $200 (still not inexpensive) has improved features that compare favorably to the newest Stella for over $400 less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Batchief909
You're going to like that Pflueger President....I own 4 of them. Good reels for the $$

You were right, really enjoyed the new set up. Too bad the fish didn't really cooperate....

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Easy answer-Shimano...

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
Originally Posted by Batchief909

You were right, really enjoyed the new set up. Too bad the fish didn't really cooperate....

That's the beauty of fishing. At first you don't succeed.... cool

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Starting to replace most of my Shimano's with Diawa Legalis and BG, very impressed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Reloder28
What’s the quality buy regardless of price

I read that 'regardless of price" and am shaking my head at some of the suggestions.

Look, I love my Pflu presidents and daiwa BG's and sub $100 shimano du jours. I have plenty and use them plenty. I use old Penn 712's all the time, and have some nice old abu's.

But regardless of price is a bold statement, and IMO none of hte above belong in that category. I have a stradic, a baitrunner (old model, thanks) and a slammer. Thats morethan spendy enough for me.

The stradic is a hell of a lot of reel, but even that can be bested by $200 extra.

Start with a slammer or even better the saragosa and go from there. Call stella.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by swag
Starting to replace most of my Shimano's with Diawa Legalis and BG, very impressed.

I have newer daiwa RG AB (at least a step down from legalis) and BG's and am very impressed as well. So much reel for the $

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently picked up Pflueger President that I like. If I ever get out again I'll have to review it. Otherwise I have some old walmart shimano reels ax100q,etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
diawas are great reels for the money

Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by swag

I have newer daiwa RG AB (at least a step down from legalis) and BG's and am very impressed as well. So much reel for the $

Last edited by ribka; 11/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m running two Shimano Stratic CI4’s on steelhead float rigs.
Super lite weight, smooth and fast retrieve at 6.0:1....35” per handle revolution.

While twitching jigs for coho the other day, I found the retrieval rate of the Okuma reel I was using to be too slow.
Too much effort (compared to the Stratic) trying to keep the slack in control and not nearly as smooth.

So, I found myself looking for a deal on another Stratic....
A local dealer is closing out the Stratic FK 2500 series for a good price - enough that I’ve decided to snag two of them!

The FK is the aluminum body version of the CI4 and just a bit heavier - all else is the same.
Neither Stratic is inexpensive, but they are top picks for any serious angler.

You’ll have to spend a lot more $$ to get a better product.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

EWR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Daiwa BG. If new is what you want. 80's vintage Mitchell 300 a if used is ok. I'm still using my Mitchell I bought brand new in 1980.

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two things I look at right away when comparing spinning reels is line retrieval rate and reel weight.

If rate of retrieve is less than 6.0:1......I turn the page. Faster retrieve = more control and less fatigue.
Weight......ounces = pounds by the end of of a long day of fishing. The bigger and heavier the setup, the more fatigue and user dissatisfaction.

Buy once / cry once, is appropriate here.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have been a private guide for 30 some years primarily freshwater in the north. I mention this only to give an example of the hours I spend yearly on the water. I have always liked the older Shimanos, I happen to favor the front spool drag models.
For the first time this year I tried the Abu Garcia Revo SX. Worked exceptionally well. Very impressive.
Primarily used for walleye but I did use it on some lake trout up to 40 lbs and it was great even tho only a #10 size.
The drag systems are liquid smooth these days and will outlive me I'm sure, the lightweight materials in the body and parts components is where I think the expense is.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
258 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.