Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't, but tend to buy only when the price is average or below-average. But I profit on guns partly by writing about them: If I buy at a reasonable price, then write an article or three, then I don't mind selling it at break-even, or less.

But aside from that, don't mind selling at a little loss, just because of what I learned--and enjoyed--from the experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

But aside from that, don't mind selling at a little loss, just because of what I learned--and enjoyed--from the experience.

This might be one of the most true-to-me statements that I have heard from you. I am into Mannlichers right now and they are so interesting. I will be on another grail quest soon but those rifles from Austria sure are getting my attention right now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't, but tend to buy only when the price is average or below-average. But I profit on guns partly by writing about them: If I buy at a reasonable price, then write an article or three, then I don't mind selling it at break-even, or less.

Thats a good way to look at it. Besides, if the feds find out you are selling at a profit, they could come knocking on your door. Thats why i always "break even" on gun deals. whistle wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Old rare stuff in excellent condition still sells well.

Yep, heck just try to buy a 39A pre safety for under 500.00. Quality pieces will always have a buyer provided you didn’t way over pay originally. Nice O/U and SxS seem to always sell

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

I've had my own Federal Firearms License since 1990. "The Feds" know very well what I'm doing with it, because I accompany each 3-year renewal with a letter explaining that I primarily use it as a convenience in my profession. They're fine with that, as long as I follow the regs, and my accountant is also fine with it as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't mind paying top dollar for the best I can find. I buy junk too, just to play with. Lose money on shooters every time. Everyone already has shooters. When I sell I like to get my money back on mint stuff I can't shoot w/o ruining value.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thats a good way to look at it. Besides, if the feds find out you are selling at a profit, they could come knocking on your door. Thats why i always "break even" on gun deals. whistle wink

Really?

Shaking my head...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I guess I’m getting ready to find out, I have a Sako 7 mag I need to sell. I bought an earlier one. I don’t need six, five is enough.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been slowly liquidating my accumulation (it never was organized enough to constitute a collection) after a heart issue last year. I'm trying to get down to things I'm going to shoot regularly and dispose of the rest.

I've found that there's relatively little interest in most of what I have for sale - revolvers (mostly 1980s or 90s era S&Ws), sxs shotguns (British and European), single shot rifles (mostly small frame Martini actions built into custom rifles) and blue steel and walnut bolt actions. My local gun dealer tells me that the hot market right now is military stuff. I've never owned any military firearms except a Stevens 416 .22 with U.S. Property markings and a couple of surplus S&W Model 1917s.

The younger guys seem to be fine with polymer and some sort of parkerized or stainless finish. I've always preferred blue steel and walnut. Guys my age are selling into a down market and true collectors seem to be liquidating their fine firearms collections at an ever increasing pace. Look at some of the higher end auction sites to see just how many collectible firearms are hitting the market and what they are bringing versus 10 years ago. It won't bring you much comfort if your collection is a key component in funding your retirement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fortunately, my collection is a key component in enjoying my impending retirement.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly location has much to do with it. I moved a couple of hundred miles and the prices where I am now are significantly less than my old home. I've pretty much retired from rifle hunting and started shopping all my customs. I've seen at least a 25% decrease in value and not nearly the interest. When motivated I guess I'll try the Campfire.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just a thought, but those of you who are looking to add to your collection of older firearms should be making lemonade from this lemon of a situation. Be positive.

I suspect there are quite a few members here who would be happy to find a 6.5mm other than a Creedmoor, a 270 rather than a 280. A wooden stocked rifle rather than a plastic one. Etc. The bargain hunters should be all over this reporting the great deals that they've found.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The market is determined by the buyers. Good luck trying to find one of Darcy or Melvin's rifles at a bargain price.

Marlin levers w/ JM markings are doing OK. I'm not finding any killer deals on Kimber or Barrett rifles.A matching numbers Garand or M1 A will cost you a few bucks as will a US carbine. Used rack rifles are like used cars, some are desirable, most are just used. You can make a killing on used Norinco aks grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The market is determined by the buyers. Good luck trying to find one of Darcy or Melvin's rifles at a bargain price.

Marlin levers w/ JM markings are doing OK. I'm not finding any killer deals on Kimber or Barrett rifles.A matching numbers Garand or M1 A will cost you a few bucks as will a US carbine. Used rack rifles are like used cars, some are desirable, most are just used. You can make a killing on used Norinco aks grin

mike r

Good collectible stuff is always where the best prices are, regardless the market. Common stuff will never appreciate like the rare stuff.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Good collectible stuff is always where the best prices are, regardless the market. Common stuff will never appreciate like the rare stuff.

True. It may be a bit harder to find a buyer on rare stuff...but those items do hold their value better.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
July 2019 I owned 121 guns today I have 55. I started by selling guns that friends said they wanted if I ever sold them. That was good for 25 or so. Then I started listing on a local internet sight. Eventually a few months ago I started selling here usually listing 3 guns and a few stocks/ scopes per month. So far I have sold 19 items here. I have failed to sell only 1 rifle, a Kimber SSV. I sold 4 desirable M700 classics after they were listed less than a week. Mauser custom are very slow sellers but high end 22's went same day listed...I am now down to wood stocked customs, shot guns & a few hand guns to sell. I plan to die with about 20 guns left.

It cost about $75.00 to pack & ship a rifle by USPS. The buyer pays for insurance if they want it.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 11/08/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is certainly a buyer's market for most firearm categories and I am doing my best to take advantage of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Quak
Very soft. Tactical rifles are popular but over supply and a Republican prez has lowered demand and the prices have crashed.

Sporting guns as in blued and walnut...prices are low do to lack of demand. Many of the guys who are into custom Mausers and old Winchester are getting old and no longer buying or worse . Their collections are getting sold off by family that’s not into collecting and hunting and it’s got the market flooded during a time of low demand.

It’s what I see anyways...but others will chime in with their .10

This. summed up nicely.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know about this. You look at used firearms on GunBroker and everyone sure likes their stuff. $$$

Coyotes shot no waiting.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I don't know about this. You look at used firearms on GunBroker and everyone sure likes their stuff. $$$

And most of those ... aren’t moving.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.