Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/F...-in-Anchorage-this-summer-564426721.html

They are still stuck on letting the population grow as much as possible rather than keeping the numbers stable to reduce bad interactions every year, but especially in bad years. Seeing 42 bears killed last year does not make me happy because we paid people to go out and do when many would be happy to do it for free...

Fish and Game reports far fewer bears killed in Anchorage this summer

By Taylor Clark | Posted: Mon 6:52 PM, Nov 04, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - It is not uncommon at all for Anchorage residents to step outside their home to find a bear that has found its way off of the hillside and into an urban trash can. However, according to the Alaska Fish and Game Department, this past summer it was much more uncommon than it was in recent years.

According to new reports from Fish & Game, this past summer, only six bears had to be killed in Anchorage city limits. That’s a stark difference from 2018, when 42 had to be put down.

Cory Stantorf is the assistant area wildlife biologist for region 14-C for Fish & Game in Anchorage. He said he and other wildlife biologists do not have the perfect explanation for this change. However, he said they have a few ideas.

“It’s a combination of us having a good spring, so the green-up came early,” he said, “Over the last two years we’ve euthanized quite a few bears that have conflicted with humans so some of our conflict bears have been removed from the population.”

Of the six bears killed in the summer of 2019 in Anchorage, Stantorf said two of them were done by Fish and Game workers on a call for the bears.

Since spring came so early this year, Stantorf said more food was readily available to those bears close to town.

“If we get a good green-up, there’s food in the woods where they want to be, and we just don’t see them come into town,” he said.

Stantorf said while this data is interesting, it’s not quite indicative of a long-lasting change.

“You know, this year we had an early spring, next year we could have a late spring and we could go back to having conflicts,” he said.

The slow beginning of winter this year is also having an effect on the bears even right now. Stantorf said they are still getting reports of black and brown bear sightings in town even in early November.

Moving forward, Stantorf said wildlife biologists are going to continue studying the fluctuating numbers of nuisance bears being killed in town. While research takes place, he said there are ways to help keep those numbers down.

“Killing bears isn’t the long term solution,” he said, “the long term solution is securing the trash, securing the attractant, and getting people to hand those attractions more responsibly.”

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Umm any idiot knows if you aren't managing it all, it will never work. Regardless if the bears are in trash or not, the population still has to be kept in check... Idiots. Way to many of them out there and some want to "manage" game and fish

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
“Killing bears isn’t the long term solution,” he said, “the long term solution is securing the trash, securing the attractant, and getting people to hand those attractions more responsibly.”

Wow...

I mean, people do need to secure their trash. But the bears aren't homing in on that single unlocked garbage can from 20 miles away.... they are in town, looking for something to eat, as mentioned previously in the article. Human/bear interactions are going to happen. Bears are going to learn things, and some of them are going to become problems. Killing those bears is certainly a major part of the "long term solution."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What is it with all of these people and their obsession with trash?

I find it insulting and racist of them for always associating bears of color with trash.

Bears are people too!!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How about the poor Native fellow that was first (according to the news) attacked by a bear, which became a human, and eventually morphed into a moose? How much therapy do you think it took that poor spirit bear to get over that profiling fiasco?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only as long as it took to put a 12 ga slug into it.

I didn't recall the incident. Took a bit of searching but finally found out. June 2016

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/P...was-likely-mauled-by-bear-382374991.html

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wil...-was-injured-by-moose-not-bear-or-knife/

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Only as long as it took to put a 12 ga slug into it.

I didn't recall the incident. Took a bit of searching but finally found out. June 2016

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/P...was-likely-mauled-by-bear-382374991.html

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wil...-was-injured-by-moose-not-bear-or-knife/

Yup, that is the one I was thinking about.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I had forgotten they killed a bear over the "false charge."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's the human rate this year? It seems like there's some very regular shootings taking place.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Send themolis to minneapolis there are lots of people roaming around shooting people. Give them some variety for a change.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VernAK
What's the human rate this year? It seems like there's some very regular shootings taking place.

Looks like 29 murders in ANC so far this year. Per APD data entered into communitycrimemap.com database.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That’s a big difference. Made me wonder if officials changed the tolerance threshold or some other management thing.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I guess they need a wall ...

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
How about the poor Native fellow that was first (according to the news) attacked by a bear, which became a human, and eventually morphed into a moose? How much therapy do you think it took that poor spirit bear to get over that profiling fiasco?

That poor f’er better better off my couch! I paid for an hour of head shrinking and I better get at least 50 minutes of it..... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I guess the bears finally realized what a schithole Anchorage is. Either that, or they didn’t want to deal with the heat/smoke last summer, either...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.