Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Today's walk was only about a mile and a half... But oh so fun!

Maverick's first pheasant hunt. He did well. I stacked the odds in his favor by hunting at the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club - so these are not wild birds. But we found eight pheasant, brought home five, and had a wonderful time. He hasn't had a lot of actual hunt training, but did a wonderful job of finding and pointing the birds, then retrieving them for me. He's not to blame for the pheasants that I didn't hit. Sigh...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think we're going to have a wonderful time hunting together for many years. I sure hope so.

Oh - tracked down his lineage - he's a German Wirehaired Pointer through and through. Purebred and all that. I got him as a rescue dog, but he's a GWP, no doubt. Just a "liver" colored variant, with which some folks may not be familiar.

Regards, Guy

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff. My dog struggles with my shooting as well. They adapt. Keep stacking em up!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great job Maverick! Dogs don’t care if they’re wild or not. It’s a great way for them to get a handle on what hunting is all about. It’s the rush of the flush!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well done for your first go. Congrats!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
dogs are just like kids... set them up for succss early and they will love their work

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Super!! I'd be highly surprised if that dog doesn't have large dose of pudelpointer in it.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!! Love dogs!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Guy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Great job Maverick! Dogs don’t care if they’re wild or not. It’s a great way for them to get a handle on what hunting is all about. It’s the rush of the flush!

That's what I was thinking. We'd been out once for quail and once for chukar, but in dry, windy conditions that made for difficult hunting. No birds taken only a couple of quail flushed. I thought I'd make sure that he got on some birds this time - it was a fun & productive hunt. The dog really seemed to be understanding what we were doing after the first few birds, and thoroughly enjoyed himself.

He was one worn out pup and napped all the way home.

Oh - pheasant dinner that evening was great too!

Guy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice going!!! I can still remember my first hunt with my GWP . We went for birds but got into a few ducks on a pond. Downed 2 & he retrieved 1 but the other one dove. He new it was there & kept going out after it. He actually dove under the surface & I was getting a bit worried but up he came duck in tow. Man was I impressed!!! Years with many hunts & adventures he's now 14 & unable to hunt but still gets a bit excited if ya take out a gun. I wish you many hunts & memories with your (dog) best pal in the years to come, he will amaze you so much that you will be hesitant to tell some of the stories to others Best of luck!!!! Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ya, ol' Clark, my first GWP, was one heck of a hunter. He'd been trained by a pro early in life, and when I took him out for the first time, he hadn't hunted since that training, several years earlier.

It took him a little while to figure out that we were hunting, not just running around in a field! LOL! Once he scented birds... I swear he looked at me as if asking "Oh, is this what we're doing? Cool!" Then he was INTENSE. I remember having to drag him back to the Jeep, after he found and pointed a bird and we'd already limited out. He didn't understand limits I guess.

New dog has a long way to go - but it's going to be good hunting with him. He's so fired up about it all!

Next up, some wild birds. Chukar & quail most likely.

Guy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice job! I love watching a pup work birds.....one of the real
joys in life!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love those rubber noses and varmity eyes. cool cool He sure reminds me of my sweet Rosie. She's a WPG, a close relative IMO.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zAiVUSn.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/26/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just great!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Nice job! I love watching a pup work birds.....one of the real
joys in life!

Truth.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.