Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'll keep it quick.

I was looking at a Kimber Hunter with a pencil thin factory threaded barrel in the 6five. I have a 30 caliber suppressor. Threads are compatible, and obviously a .264" bullet will slide through a .308" hole, but I am concerned about the weight. The can is over 20 ounces, and the Kimber barrel is 22" and THIN. Will that kind of weight cause any issues on that pencil-thin barrel??

I called Kimber today and spoke to a lady in CS, but she couldnt wrap her mind around what I was asking. She was more concerned about me shooting a 6.5 through a .308 can, and suggested that I call the suppressor manufacturer. crazy So after asking three times, trying to explain it three different ways, I gave up and thanked her for the help. I will never understand why they hire folks who havent the slightest clue about firearms to work the CS line at a firearms manufacturer, but I digress...

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You'll probably see a significant amount of POI change when you screw the suppressor on, But there's nothing to worry about. Just screw the suppressor on, sight the rifle in, and go shooting or hunting.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not a problem. My Kimber Montana loves the weight.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Also, inquiring minds want to know... The Hunter is not factory threaded, no? So maybe it's a Montana BA swapped out, no? If so, then it is 7/16-28 and unlikely direct to suppressor meant for 30cal, no? Is your barrel threaded 1/2-28? If so it's not factory, no?

20oz. Dang. But I will reiterate, my Montana is so super well-behaved with the suppressor, just do it. Anyone on the fence about buying a suppressor or yet another rifle? Buy the suppressor.

My internet BFF added a suppressor to his Fieldcraft, and had a POI change to 1.5" high. I did not check my setup this way and changed scopes, POI, POA, and suppressor all at once to keep me guessing. Best thing I have done in decades. I sleep with my suppressor some nights, it floats my boat.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Suppressors are the stuff dreams are made of. First shot and you'll be back at the dealer doing Form 4 again.

IC B2

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Also, inquiring minds want to know... The Hunter is not factory threaded, no? So maybe it's a Montana BA swapped out, no? If so, then it is 7/16-28 and unlikely direct to suppressor meant for 30cal, no? Is your barrel threaded 1/2-28? If so it's not factory, no?

You are correct, The factory Kimber Hunter is not threaded. This particular specimen is a Kimber Hunter that apparently is produced specifically for sale at Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops.

It's a Kimber Hunter with an Octane camo dipped stock, and a 22 inch burnt bronze Cerekoted barrel, threaded with a slimline muzzle brake. It's pretty sharp. It's on sale, and I have a gift card, so I was thinking about picking one up.

As far as the barrel threads go, you are again correct. The barrel is threaded 7/16-28. Kimber makes an adapter taking it up to 5/8-24, matching the threads on my older Yankee Hill can.

I was just concerned with that much weight hanging off of a tube that thin. But the consensus seems to be that it shouldn't be a problem. So I may give it a try. If I end up picking it up, ya'll will be the first to know!

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool. Thanks for the followup. Grab one if you CAN. I could locate no other 7/16-28 to 5/8-24 adapter than the Kimber one... I have a Silencerco Omega on mine. A bit long but dang it's mellow and quiet, less jump, less recoil and it's 22LR loud. Or so it seems..Happy hunting.

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TRnCO
You'll probably see a significant amount of POI change when you screw the suppressor on, But there's nothing to worry about. Just screw the suppressor on, sight the rifle in, and go shooting or hunting.

Ha...

none of mine move more than a half inch at 100 yards...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Originally Posted by TRnCO

Ha...

none of mine move more than a half inch at 100 yards...

Of the seven different rifles I use a suppressor on, all have dropped an average of four inches at 150 yards. Even the heavy barreled Ruger Precision Rifles needed to be re-zeroed for a suppressor. Not saying always the case, just the case in every centerfire I have tried. Oddly enough, that has not been the case with my rimfires, but their barrels are a lot heavier compared to the weight of that suppressor compared to the centerfires. I agree with the statement of just re-zero and go for it. I'm using a suppressor to deer hunt with for the first time this year and really looking forward to it. The weight of the suppressor probably doesn't stress the barrel anymore than the upward pressure used by some manufactures with the pressure point at the ends of some stocks. I would expect quite a bit change of impact with a suppressor with that long of and thin barrel, just re-zero and go for it. In a lot of rifles for reasons unknown to me, a suppressor may tighten up and round out groups on most rifles. Perhaps the added weight at the end of the barrel may help control barrel "whip" when fired, I don't know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Build your own and do an E-File form one. Got my stamp back in 21 days.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You'll probably see a lot of drop as the added weight will cause it to droop. Were it me I'd have it cut off and rethreaded for 5/8-24. A friend of mine is a manufacturer and licensed to make them. His are different than most but are pretty good although are a little difficult to switch between guns because of how they are made. His threads, for instance 5/8-24, have a short flat at the front and the back and that's where the suppressor registers, not on the threads per se. Those flats are the major and minor diameters of the threads. Also the suppressor is sort of a reflex as it comes back over the barrel a bit and has a Teflon grommet, I guess to protect the barrel and further stabilize it. It is a super secure setup and won't come loose but can be taken on and off easily to change between barrels.

I would say if you like the gun the by all means buy it. It sounds great. It is a hunting gun. You will be adding nearly a pound and a half of weight to the end of the barrel and probably eight inches of length. By cutting it off as much as you can afford you will be saving some weight and bringing the handling and balance back to where it will be more manageable for your intended purpose. Buy the gun and the adapter. Screw the suppressor on to it and try it and see how it feels. You'll see what I mean.

Suppressors are a great help and completely change the dynamics of a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do these have a contour sufficient to thread 5/8"?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by J23
I'll keep it quick.

I was looking at a Kimber Hunter with a pencil thin factory threaded barrel in the 6five. I have a 30 caliber suppressor. Threads are compatible, and obviously a .264" bullet will slide through a .308" hole, but I am concerned about the weight. The can is over 20 ounces, and the Kimber barrel is 22" and THIN. Will that kind of weight cause any issues on that pencil-thin barrel??

I called Kimber today and spoke to a lady in CS, but she couldnt wrap her mind around what I was asking. She was more concerned about me shooting a 6.5 through a .308 can, and suggested that I call the suppressor manufacturer. crazy So after asking three times, trying to explain it three different ways, I gave up and thanked her for the help. I will never understand why they hire folks who havent the slightest clue about firearms to work the CS line at a firearms manufacturer, but I digress...

If you had actually had a problem with their product it's likely she could have solved it for you.

You had a technical question about adding someone else's product.
You need an engineer to answer your question, and it can't be done over the phone.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My Yankee Hill suppressor is heavy on my short barreled 20” long 308.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Do these have a contour sufficient to thread 5/8"?

No. Moontuna measures 0.560" just back of the threads.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked cuz the Cabela's site says it has a "sporter contour" barrel, whatever that equates to, and was curious if it was indeed 0.725" in diameter...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ohh, just assuming they're the same same as J23 indicated and threaded 7/16-28... What's the price? Or do I have to search for that?

Oh, $899? Seems a bit much for the threading and paint job of the standard hunter which you could chop back to 18" and thread...

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/09/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ne-aw-bolt-cf-rifle/2947058.uts?slotId=0

Give a man a search, and he'll search for a day. Teach a man to search...

Or something like that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...ne-aw-bolt-cf-rifle/2947058.uts?slotId=0

Give a man a search, and he'll search for a day. Teach a man to search...

Or something like that.

Wayy ahead of you, like seconds. My 7/16 brake cost around $75 BTW.... Waste if you're going suppressor. And 22" plus the Omega, is lonnngggggg. 29" with the brake end...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should have been more clear. My question about enough contour to thead 5/8" was aimed at rainshot's suggestion of whacking it off (the barrel) and threading. I apologize to the Pygmies in New Guinea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.