Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing you said is wrong, but you base it on a lot of if's. I've actually done it.
I have a min spec chamber.
I mentioned that loaded ammo is within SAAMI spec.
We are talking about Lapua brass which as you mentioned is not max sized.
I select bushing size based on desired neck tension, not chamber dimensions. If my chamber was larger by just 002", going larger would leave me with zero neck tension.

HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
What does your Lapua brass mic out to prior to (or after) resizing? What's the neck of your fired .280 AI brass?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Doesnt have to know what it mics out at neck one down load a bullet and see what the neck dia. is with loaded bullet that will tell you.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Any information would be useful. He claims to have a min-spec chamber, but I question if that's true because if so he would be at zero clearance starting with .014 wall brass. Either the Lapua brass is very thin, or his chamber's not as small as he thinks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took a different route. Jon R. Sundra always used Winchester nickle plated brass for his 7 JRS, a sort of Gibbs like short neck blown out 280. I got around 500 cases at a close out bargain sale. I think the myths and misconceptions about nickle plated brass helped reduce the price. He always wrote that it had the highest capacity of any of the cases he tested.

The only thing I have done differently is to run either a stainless steel brush or one covered in 0000 steel wool inside the necks to remove any loose or extra plating. The only issue I have had is when I over annealed a batch and lost about three cases due to separation at the shoulder. I am only on about my 6th loading on the first bag but seems to be holding up fine, no trimming and so far no shoulder bump or FL re-sizing needed but will do this anyway on the next loads to head off and cambering issues.

Other rifles I have gone the Lapua route with a lessor number of cases. If you wanted cheep I would look into once fired LC 30-06 brass. You could save enough to get a hydraulic form dye if you wanted to save barrel life and components. I also used some 6.5x65 RWS brass and it was excellent even if the head dimension is undersized.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/21/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s not complicated. Size just enough to ham the bolt closed on the lapua -06 brass. Load a bit low and shoot them. Don’t be surprised by good accuracy while forming.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hmmm, I sort of have the opinion now that Llama Bobs #'s don't lie. I haven't had any issues but I get where he's going with it and now rethinking things. My ammo is in spec but it doesn't leave much room for bullet release and/or variation. Anyway, I'm going to delete my posts above, not because I have an issue eating my words, but just because I don't want anyone following my advice on the topic for now.

Looks like it's too late to edit my earlier posts.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nosler brass is excellent and what I use now. As a bonus it is properly headstamped 280 Ack. Imp. For years I fireformed Remington brass with great results, I just had to cull a few. I always fireformed new brass only and followed the instructions in the Nosler reloading manual. I don't have any experience with Hornady brass in 280.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Nosler brass is excellent and what I use now. As a bonus it is properly headstamped 280 Ack. Imp. For years I fireformed Remington brass with great results, I just had to cull a few. I always fireformed new brass only and followed the instructions in the Nosler reloading manual. I don't have any experience with Hornady brass in 280.

How many loadings do you get?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
6-7 before I start seeing split necks, sometimes more. I'm to lazy to anneal cases or I would probably get a few more.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Remington280
I ordered some 280AI Nosler brass for now but still curious about using the Lapua 06' brass . Anybody care to detail the process how they use it? Like said above I have read where it would be too short.

take 30-06 brass and run it into your 280ai full length size die. Take a moderate book load and fire. Good for off hand practice and the reward is a fully formed 280ai brass. It is a bit short but no biggy.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Loaded up some Nosler brass with several different powder combos with 140 Nosler AB. I found IMR4831, RL22 and N165 all to be pretty accurate. I did try some factory Nosler 160 AB and they shoot excellent also. My 140 grain loads shot right around .5 moa which is excellent for the recoil. I tend not to shoot great with higher recoiling rifles.

Looks like my load will be

Nosler brass
140 grain Nosler Accubond
RL-22 63 grains
210's

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nosler if you value your time. Hornady, sort, and sell the leftovers if you want minimum $.

Hmmmm.........

The softest brass I've ever encountered was 243 and 270 Nosler. The best at at non-premium prices has been Hornady in recent times.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nosler if you value your time. Hornady, sort, and sell the leftovers if you want minimum $.

Hmmmm.........

The softest brass I've ever encountered was 243 and 270 Nosler. The best at at non-premium prices has been Hornady in recent times.

Agree , add 260 to the list .

Nosler across the board bullets/brass/ammo is WAY over priced .
I use nosler 280AI brass only because i bought it on sale at cabelas years ago on sale - about $50/50ct. . Only bought it for the convience of not fireforming . Priced at $85.34 = $1.71 per case what a joke . I don't buy anything nosler not even the seconds at shooters pro shop <-- because even there the rejects aren't worth the price .

Sierra has joined nosler in expensive bullet race - none of their products come in my door .

Last edited by ol_mike; 11/08/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.