Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the industry bellweathers, Sturm, Ruger & Company (NYSE: RGR) reported their third quarter results late yesterday afternoon. As expected, they’re down - like twenty-four percent (24%) for the first three quarters of 2019 compared with 2018.

As has become a longstanding occurrence, however, the company maintained their profitability, returning a dividend of eleven cents per share to investors. It’s not a big return, but it’s certainly better than a notice written in red ink.

Ruger CEO Chris Killoy attributed the Q3 results to continued soft demand - the same that will cause 2019 to be remembered as a slow year for the gun industry. He also made the case that rather than attempt to soften the results via the “aggressive discounting and extension of payment terms” being employed by others, Ruger took the “fiscally prudent measure of reducing production” (for the third consecutive quarter) to moderate inventory levels in the company’s warehouses and in the distribution channel.

Gaming, he noted, works only in the short-term. Ruger, he says “is in it for the long haul.”

Long-term health versus short-term expectations is one of those conundrums that makes me very glad I’m not in the manufacturing side of things. A continued focus on making quarters doesn’t do much toward assuring longevity.

He also noted something important to our discussions this week: one significant impact on Ruger’s numbers has been the loss of a “formerly significant distributor that ultimately filed for bankruptcy protection in June 2019 and the market disruption caused by the liquidation of its inventory of Ruger products.

While buyers are being “cautious” about purchases of new guns, Killoy did report that Ruger’s sales of new products represent $70.6 million - twenty-three percent - of firearms sales in the first nine months of 2019.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bring back the Security-Six and i will buy one.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krupp
Bring back the Security-Six and i will buy one.

Bring back the boat paddle.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think Ruger may be more financially prudent than most manufacturers. It seems most firearms manufacturers don't seem to understand the concept of riding the good times of business and saving for the low times of business. As bad as I hate it, firearms manufacturers are among the worst managed businesses in the manufacturing business with the possible exception of U.S. auto manufacturers.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I am sure if a democrat gets elected in 2020 sales will explode.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The big money makers for Ruger has been compact .380s and 9mms. They've sold them by the train loads for many years. Not to mention the 10-22. Lately they have tried to build revenue by tapping into the 1911 and AR-15 market.

They targeted a market, flooded it, and now they're trying to get market share in markets that are already flooded.

Competition is very stiff for pocket 380s, compact 9mms, 1911s, and AR-15s.

I'm not sure what a firearm manufacturer could come out with that would be a big seller at this point.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I just bought a stainless RSI No. 1 with great wood. I'm trying to help.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jacare
I just bought a stainless RSI No. 1 with great wood. I'm trying to help.

This year I've bought four Ruger Precision Rifles, one each in 6.5CM, 5.56, .22LR and 17HMR. I've also bought a Wrangler revolver and a SS Single Six .22 convertible revolver also. Doing what I can to help the Ruger bottom line myself this year. It seems Ruger has brought to market what has caught my eyes this year. I bought the Single Six in case they quit manufacturing them like they did with the 77/22 with the success of the Wrangler they introduced this year. I've also bought a Tirus High Power clone , Victory Smith and Wesson pistol and a Smith and Wesson Shield this year. I'm trying to get myself in position to retire in the next few years and some of you younger guys will have to pick up the cross and bear it in regards to supporting the Firearms manufacturers in the future. wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just waiting on my lgs to get in a 3in lcrx 22lr...and I'm toying with getting one of those m1 carbine 10/22s

Last edited by killerv; 11/08/19.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Truth be known, I own six Ruger products, everything from a 10-22 to a custom built Blackhawk converted to a five shot .480 Ruger revolver, and have owned many others in the past. Thing is that two safes are filled with guns, and while I would fancy buying a few other historical reproductions, prudence tells me I don't need them. The one thing about Ruger, their firearms seem to be trying to outlast me, so unless they come up with something really compelling, I'll not be buying anything new. Sometimes success is it's own competition.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think Ruger could have a hit if they took their 9mm carbine, eliminated its takedown feature, and put it in a more traditional stock.

The concept is good. But the product looks clunky as hell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a perfect time to knock the dust off those Ninety - Six and .44 carbine molds to me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,35 calibers, these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

Last edited by pete53; 11/08/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pete53
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

Yep. I wish they’d bring back their blued, heavy barreled target rifles, in walnut stocks particularly in .220 Swift. Add .204 as well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
Ruger needs to start making Red Label shotguns again,Ruger # 1`s, and go back to making those fine bolt action wood stock, with the great old Ruger rings and make many different cartridges again,examples of cartridges > 257 Roberts,65.x55 Swede,7mm Mauser,6 mm Remington,222 Rem.,these are what many people want and probably even some other great old cartridges ?

Yes, and they need to focus more on the quality of what they are sending out the door...….just had to send a brand new unfired Redhawk in 45 LC back, which makes about the third Ruger handgun in a row that has had to go back for QC issues. For $850 they should be able to produce a handgun with no issues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger and Smith started a price war in the compact auto segment to squeeze out the smaller makers.
Ruger's best mark-up is on the LCR.

abusus non tollit usum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 7.62X39 and had a problem the first time I went to the range. Somehow I retracted the bolt out of the chamber without it cocking. It would not go back in and I sent it back to be repaired. They said they installed a new firing pin stop. I should get it back soon and hoping it's problem free in the future. Ruger is a good company to deal with.

Last edited by MD521; 11/08/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think Ruger could have a hit if they took their 9mm carbine, eliminated its takedown feature, and put it in a more traditional stock.

The concept is good. But the product looks clunky as hell.

It's also priced too high.

abusus non tollit usum
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
Ruger profit down 24%

Ruger sales are down 24%. If Ruger is managed well they're profits could be the same as last year.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how Ruger's drop compares to other manufacturers. I have bought my last Ruger due to their schidt QC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.