Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Here is just one LINK to a list of restaurants and other places that offer "Thank You" meals and deals for veterans.

I always go to my local Applebees and sit at the bar. It's a pleasure to talk to fellow vets, get a nice lunch, and chat with the pretty bartendress.

Enjoy the day, my brothers and sisters. Crisp salute to you all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the heads up; Rocky. There's a local small burger chain near me that's doing that and the wife and I may just be down there Nov. 11th. I qualify for a free cheeseburger, medium fries & drink with proof of service. That means I only have to show my drivers license. NY State has a thing where when you renew your license they can give you "Veteran" endorsement on your license with proof of service. Beats carrying a DD-214 copy around. Don't most states do that now ?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't think anyone still ate at Crapplebees. Mmmm, thawed microwave entre'

Oh well if it's free.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Utah does. Mine says Veteran and Donor. They removed the CCW annotation it used to have, apparently. As a retiree, I also have my magic blue card but Applebees has never asked me or anyone else for proof of service. They just hand you the special menu for that day and say "Thanks."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We're doing a vet's luncheon at our baptist church. We do this every year. Have since 2001 when our pastor at the time was retired from 5th Group SF.

Usually have 20-30 vets show up. Weather is supposed to be 80% chance of rain. I'll probably go up there and help out.

Usually I do a big slow cooker of white beans with country ham diced up in them. Do it the day before and muzzleloader hunt that morning, come out the woods and carry it up to the church. Hunt behind the house till 10, zip back the house on the wheeler on head up to the life center a mile up the road with the beans.

Big pot luck, church buys the meat. Often we get one of the other men to do up some pork butts and have pulled pork.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never been able get either my dad or renegade50 to show up.

Both of them have close to 25 yrs, each. Can't seem to get the career guys to do these things. They seem to abhor anyone making a fuss.

My old man doesnt have 20 fuggin stickers on his back window, neither does renegade. Not even the retiree license plate.
You wouldn't even know it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad was in the National Guard for 27 years.

I cant even get him to go to school with my daughter for Hero day!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Some folks downplay their contribution to the country. They shouldn't. They are not only part of the 1%, but of the BEST 1%. When others hold out their hands to ask for for freebies, veterans hold up their hands for the oath to support freedom.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I do appreciate what a lot of places are doing for the Veterans these days.

Although it is free, I am slow to call them freebies.

Thanks and appreciation for all who served their country.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Some folks downplay their contribution to the country. They shouldn't. They are not only part of the 1%, but of the BEST 1%. When others hold out their hands to ask for for freebies, veterans hold up their hands for the oath to support freedom.

Yeah but dad was never in combat.

Thats his position on the matter.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Does not matter, Jim. He served. There is more to the spear than the point. Those who make up the shaft are equally important. Someone once said that taking the oath is like writing a blank check for up to and including your life. That is true for every service member.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I feel the same way.

He got out as an O4 in an armored cav outfit.

No changing his mind however.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When others hold out their hands to ask for for freebies, veterans hold up their hands for the oath to support freedom.

Kind of a odd thing to say considering the name of the thread and it intent.
Hey, I served, give me free chit.....

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Does not matter, Jim. He served. There is more to the spear than the point. Those who make up the shaft are equally important. Someone once said that taking the oath is like writing a blank check for up to and including your life. That is true for every service member.

Funny thing, I was talking to Viet Nam era Seal one day and told him that I hadn't been to Viet Nam but had been in the service. What you said is exactly what he said. Sure made me feel better. And I was talking to a VN vet one day who said "I didn't do anything. I was a truck driver" and I could tell him what I was told. I hope it made him feel better.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No, sir. There is a huge difference between begging for free stuff and accepting a gift freely given. These Vet Day meals and deals are Thank Yous. Accepting them graciously is not the same as demanding them because they are owed us.

Those are simple truths, g5m. Where would that Seal be without that truck driver? He'd be without the beans, bullets, and bandaids he needs to do his job, that's where. All those and more came to him by truck. Inventoried and ordered by a supply clerk. All necessary. All part of the action - even if they didn't see any.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I see those that just go around town all day for the free meals.
That's going too far and taking advantage of people with good hearts.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I thank everyone of them I know for their service that day.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've never been able get either my dad or renegade50 to show up.

Both of them have close to 25 yrs, each. Can't seem to get the career guys to do these things. They seem to abhor anyone making a fuss.

My old man doesnt have 20 fuggin stickers on his back window, neither does renegade. Not even the retiree license plate.
You wouldn't even know it.

I got one " I Love Me" plaque on the man cave wall.
Thats it in the entire house.

Given to me by my 39 armed goons when i was their platoon daddy after OIF1 when we got back and i got orders to go to Korea for my 3rd time.....
Busted my azz for them and they did the same for me and each other.

Trinkets , doodads, fruitsalad, awards, uniforms, war souvenoirs
Ect ect ect
Boxed up.
Wife , kids , grandkids ( if the daughters ever get frigging busy)can go through that stuff after they smoke my azz and put it in a urn.

I will make a full blown retard triangle flag and award case for the wife and stash it in one of the boxes for her and the girls to discover.

That time aint nowhere near yet.

Tried the golden corral freebie last year.
I like golden corral/ put the feed bag on.
Fugg that .....
Drove by
Line musta been 125 yds long literally.
But this is a military town also.
Think i went the mcd,s quarter pounder drive thru route on the way back to da house. Next best thing!!!

Stood in plenty of lines in the army not by choice
Homie dont play dat stand in a line game anymore when he has a choice now.
LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 11/08/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Service has been commodified to a point now that it seems kinda weird.

Growing up, pop and others i was close to NEVER made a fuss. Veterans from the South Pacific, Europe, Korea...none made even the slightest fuss or ever even so much as asked for a discount.

Maybe it was the times, I dunno.

Thanks to all that serve their country and fellow man.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"Maybe it was the times, I dunno."

The times they are a changing. Some for the good and a lot for gain.
Some of us were born a couple generations tooooo late.
I know the good ol days were not all that good by todays standards, but
I think I would have called them good if I were around back when.......

Yes, as noted above, all who served, served together. A brotherhood that lasts forever.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 2,990 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.