Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big gun #14221463 10/22/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Ok I've been a member here for years but I've never posted here. I've shot a .300 win mag for 30+ years and have killed everything from groundhog to black bear with it. It's a older BDL made back in the late 80's and I'm not getting the accuracy I used to get. So anyhow I started looking for a replacement and after lots of research and believe me lots my eye kept coming back to Bergara. Well I ordered me a brand new Bergara Ridge in .300 Win Mag. I have not shot it yet because I've got to wait due to unforeseen circumstances and I've never owned one a SWFA on Black Friday. Well I've reloading for everything from .17 Rem to 220 swift for the last 30+ years for groundhogs, coyote and fox and so forth but have never loaded anything for a big gun like the .300 win mag. I always shot Rem Core lokt 180's and they shot well but now I've got the hankering to reload for it so what bullet manufacturer, powder and primers? I want to stick to 180 gr and something that gets good penetration, so what's best for say deer, bear and elk if I get a chance to go?

I forgot to ad this will be for longer range hunting than what Im used to like if I get a chance to go out west. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry so long.

Mike
RLTW


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


300 BP

Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14221644 10/22/19
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
irfubar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
Congratulations on your new gun, sounds like a fine rifle. I would recommend something along the lines of a Nosler 180 gr accubond with RL22 powder, any reloading manual should have info on that load .
Or if you are concerned over powder temp sensitivity H1000 is also good


A good conservative will give you the shirt off his back.

A good liberal will give you the shirt off someone else's back.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14221775 10/22/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Hey Thank you, I swear I believe it's a 700 better than the 700 today lol. I was leaning toward Nosler and you hit me broadside lol. As for the powder I'll read into that. I guess there is something to that temp sensitive stuff. I've read about it off and on so probably that H1000 to be safe lol. Real good info Sir and thanks.

Mike
RLTW


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14221782 10/22/19
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 490
Cascade Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 490
The 300 Win mag responds really well to 180 & 200 gr bullets over a slow burning powder. I've had excellent results with the Nosler Partition. The Accubond is better suited for longer ranges and don't write off the good ol' Ballistic Tip - it's surprisingly stout anymore.

Usually I rely on the Federal magnum large rifle primer. It's always worked well.

Regards, Guy

Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Cascade] #14222467 10/22/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by Cascade
The 300 Win mag responds really well to 180 & 200 gr bullets over a slow burning powder. I've had excellent results with the Nosler Partition. The Accubond is better suited for longer ranges and don't write off the good ol' Ballistic Tip - it's surprisingly stout anymore.

Usually I rely on the Federal magnum large rifle primer. It's always worked well.

Regards, Guy

Appreciate you. Partition is good I know from what I've read but the accubond is probably how I'll go. I bought some Federal 215's the other day. Slow burning powder, Roger that. Thanks again Guy

Mike
RLTW


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


Alpha

Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14222681 10/22/19
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
irfubar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
If you go to the (shooters pro shop) they have Nosler blems and over-runs for a discounted price. They may not have the 180 in stock but if you check in regularly they will have them.

I have used them extensively and had no problems, kinda nice to save a few bucks during load development etc...


A good conservative will give you the shirt off his back.

A good liberal will give you the shirt off someone else's back.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: irfubar] #14222739 10/22/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by irfubar
If you go to the (shooters pro shop) they have Nosler blems and over-runs for a discounted price. They may not have the 180 in stock but if you check in regularly they will have them.

I have used them extensively and had no problems, kinda nice to save a few bucks during load development etc...


Sure thing, I'll do that. Thanks

Mike
RLTW


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14222837 10/22/19
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 7,402
dave7mm Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 7,402
75g of Reloader 22 and a 180 ballistic tip.
CCI-BR primer.
Win or Norma case.
dave


[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14223242 10/23/19
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 548
OrangeDiablo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 548
180gr. and good penetration? Take a look at the TTSX. Don't overlook the CBB 168gr bullets either.


I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14223392 10/23/19
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,173
Ringman Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,173
You might give Hammer Bullets a look. They are mono-copper bullets so are legal in stupid states.


"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Bravo

Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14224751 10/23/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Great info right here. I appreciate it! Thanks

Mike
RLTW


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14237730 10/28/19
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 112
Tstorm1 Offline
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 112
Just came across your thread and you're going to be happy with that purchase! A year ago I bought a used Bergara Ridge in 300WM that had 13 shots through it. Had a 20MOA rail on it by Precision Hardcore Gear and a muzzle brake by Muzzle Brakes and More (MBM). Like others have said RL22 or 4831, both have very similar burn rates and I have gotten excellent results from H4831. Follow the break in procedure, then keep shooting and cleaning it...your groups will keep getting tighter with each cycle. I quickly developed a load when I got it with Nosler BT 168gr for whitetails and it made very short work of one buck (DRT). I just got around to developing a load using Berger 190gr VLD Hunting bullets and put 5 into 0.3"! One thing I noticed is make sure your brass is all the same. Mixed might be fine for short range, but mine varied POI an inch or so at 100 yards just by switching case manufacturers. My days of using mixed brass are now behind me with everything I shoot. I've got my load data in an Excel spreadsheet, I'll drop you a PM with the info. Picked up new Ridge in 270 a couple days ago and had it at the range today for break in, with cheap Winchester 130gr loads it was shooting one inch already.

Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14240579 10/29/19
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,464
salmonhead Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,464
180 swift scirocco over RL 22


Salmonhead
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Tstorm1] #14246256 10/31/19
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Diablero Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Just came across your thread and you're going to be happy with that purchase! A year ago I bought a used Bergara Ridge in 300WM that had 13 shots through it. Had a 20MOA rail on it by Precision Hardcore Gear and a muzzle brake by Muzzle Brakes and More (MBM). Like others have said RL22 or 4831, both have very similar burn rates and I have gotten excellent results from H4831. Follow the break in procedure, then keep shooting and cleaning it...your groups will keep getting tighter with each cycle. I quickly developed a load when I got it with Nosler BT 168gr for whitetails and it made very short work of one buck (DRT). I just got around to developing a load using Berger 190gr VLD Hunting bullets and put 5 into 0.3"! One thing I noticed is make sure your brass is all the same. Mixed might be fine for short range, but mine varied POI an inch or so at 100 yards just by switching case manufacturers. My days of using mixed brass are now behind me with everything I shoot. I've got my load data in an Excel spreadsheet, I'll drop you a PM with the info. Picked up new Ridge in 270 a couple days ago and had it at the range today for break in, with cheap Winchester 130gr loads it was shooting one inch already.


Excellent! Appreciate it. Yes I would like to see your info. Thanks again.


89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN


Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14266698 11/09/19
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,286
Dre Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,286
I would go little heavier 190-210 if you want Long distance. Got all that powder, might as well use it


All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14284414 11/16/19
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,370
GF1 Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,370
My favorite load for a pet .300 WM of mine is 77.3/RL26, Fed 215M, 200 gr Nosler Accubond, Norma brass. Superbly accurate, just over 3000 fps from 24” barrel.

Last edited by GF1; 11/16/19.
Re: Newbie Long Range Hunter with Big guns [Re: Diablero] #14285642 11/16/19
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,763
Jim_Knight Offline
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,763
I got terrific accuracy with R23/200 Nosler Partition. H4831sc was wonderful also, and shoots to my same zero as my R17/150gr TTSX ( another gee wiz load I get under .75" and 3160fps!) Good luck to you pard!


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
613 registered members (10gaugemag, 1234, 117LBS, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 552 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 5.6.40 Page Time: 0.082s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 1.1211 MB (Peak: 1.3944 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2019-11-21 18:55:12 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS