Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I took my 1955 Model 70 to the range this morning to sight it in. I mounted a Burris Fullfield 2 on it. Took me awhile to get it close, but finally got it doing well at 100 yards on a final 3 shot group. I know it would do better if I had more time, but there were quite a few people there and I have other things to do.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
A classic. Post kill pics when you connect.

Which bullet did you settle on?

Last edited by nyrifleman; 11/09/19.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
150 grain Winchester power points. There always been quick killers for me in the past in a .270.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds about perfect to me. Just needs eye candy pics and it would be a perfect thread.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I'll try later, had to get home and stack a load of wood.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14267691#Post14267691

I put the target upside down, my final three are the bullseye, the one directly above it and one of the two just to the right. Good enough to get the job done where I'll be hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That rifle will be shooting better than that, when you find a good load for it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That rifle will be shooting better than that, when you find a good load for it.

Pretty sure he is content with those groups. majority of shooters/hunters are like that. Go to a big public shooting range you will see it. I was working a load up for my buddies 264 win mag few yrs back, I showed him the groups he goes wow, And said I’m happy if they are all in a 8 inch paper plate.. my groups were small clusters.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have no doubt the rifle will do better, the shooter on the other hand...😁 I was adjusting on the first three shots on the right, also, the 100 yard target is uphill more and I wasn't getting a particularly good rest.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mr. AlleghenyMountain, do you have Imgur? Post some pics of your pre 64. I just put a new 100% all original stock on my most recent 30-06 featherweight... I love mine. Have 2 of them...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How do you guys think a Winchester 30/06 featherweight from the late 1950's would stand up against this one by Savage if run through the paces in a real world scenario?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Mr. AlleghenyMountain, do you have Imgur? Post some pics of your pre 64. I just put a new 100% all original stock on my most recent 30-06 featherweight... I love mine. Have 2 of them...

I don't have Imgur, I might look into that. I'll take some pics this evening and if nothing else put them into the gallery. I used the Talley lows on this one and they worked out well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
How do you guys think a Winchester 30/06 featherweight from the late 1950's would stand up against this one by Savage if run through the paces in a real world scenario?

Thats a nice old savage, but wont ever be a pre 64 model 70. No matter how much lipstick you put on it. Go to the thread about savage weak points and get back to us.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain

I don't have Imgur, I might look into that. I'll take some pics this evening and if nothing else put them into the gallery. I used the Talley lows on this one and they worked out well.

Get an imgur acct. Its so much easier to post good pics that way.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage is a safer, stronger action, and will generally be more accurate.

Having said that, I could never own one and throw up a little in my mouth when I see them laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting and thought provoking question, Roy.
Since I own several Winchester pre-64 fwt and several Savage bolt actions, although my Savages are much newer and generally set up as long range guns. I simply see the Winchesters as classic well built and rugged rifles. Mine have given me excellent accuracy and function.

My Savages are a different animal, strong safe and efficient, with outstanding accuracy.
I like your classic Savage and believe it is a very fine and underrated rifle.... and a real bargain... won't impress the snobs though. I have been tempted by your add, I have too many rifles as it is.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Brad

Having said that, I could never own one and throw up a little in my mouth when I see them laugh

grin

Them Salvages do tend to shoot...

But why date an ugly girl... blush

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

grin

DF

Beauty is more than skin deep, you two.... ha smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

grin

DF

Ugly? I always thought the early vintage Savage looked looked better. At least they completed it and put a damn gripcap on the thing. The only Savages w/o a grip cap are the economy models. Pre-64 Winchester's always look economy to me.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/12/19.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thats a nice old savage, but wont ever be a pre 64 model 70. No matter how much lipstick you put on it. Go to the thread about savage weak points and get back to us.

Where can I find that thread?

BTW, any time I read one of those "weak points of x,y,z" articles whether it be trucks or guns, I generally see a little envy and an obvious bias from the author that colors his objectivity.

The question I asked was a serious one since I am not a bolt action shooter so much and only own one of the vintage Winchesters and just a few of the Savages. I will say that my early vintage 110 .243 like the 30/06 above shoots 100 grain Nosler Partitions into less than 1/2", and it's a beautiful, reliable, and lightweight rifle.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
313 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.