Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
A week or so back I saw a TC Contender Super 16 barrel in 45/410 pop up in the local classifieds. I really enjoy pack rifles and Contenders and so I jumped on it quick and bought it to try. I've never owned a 410 of any sort before, but thought it should do ok as a grouse / rabbit / small game shotgun. Took it with me to try out yesterday and was able to bag 2 grouse, which were the only ones I saw. Both were shot at about 20 yards and while not hammered like a 12 gauge would do, they both dropped on the spot with a load of 3" 4s. Definitely a fun little gun that is super easy to fold down and carry in a backpack. And with the trigger work I've had done on the Contender it is really a nice shooter.

[Linked Image from backyardlivingsource.com]

[Linked Image from backyardlivingsource.com]

BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Neat little setup.

Nice shooting too!!

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 26" VR barrel for my G2 walnut stocked carbine that I got from MGM. Pricey but it does turn the G2 into a pretty neat little bird and small game gun. They also make a 28 guage barrel which should be ballistically even better, but I'm already set up for reloading .410s and am very used to shooting them.

The MGM barrels come in a variety of finishes and are a very handsome addition, as well as useful. With a Winchester "Home Defense" 3" loading of five 000 buckshot, they make a decent "things that go bump in the night" gun, too.

Check your state's overall length requirements for shotguns before you pick a barrel length--some states require a certain length and a 16" barrel won't make the cut. MGM makes them from 18" on up to 26, I think.

Neat gun; neater grouse!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aspencreek Is that a rifled barrel or smooth? Thanks for your time . Cheers. NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks guys!

Northcountry -- It is a rifled barrel. Should shoot the 45s well too although I haven't tried that yet.

Mesa -- I saw those MGM shotgun barrels. I've got a couple of their rifle barrels that are extremely accurate and I really liked the idea of the 28 gauge in a 20" or 22" length. I almost ordered one, but they are definitely very pricey so I held off a while and then saw the 410 barrel come up for sale. I'd still probably buy an MGM if I saw a good deal on a used one though.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
here's mine

10" 410 and 15" 223
[Linked Image]

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
About the only used ones you are likely to find are those that MGM made some years ago for the old T-C Custom Shop. I think the longest they made were 22" with a VR, and they were both in .410 and 28. The ones I've seen (few) were marked T-C on the barrel and MGM on the rib. MGM didn't start making the current ones until a year of so ago, and they have had some production problems that slowed them down, also they moved to a larger facility.

I sure like the one I got. It has removable choke tubes. F and Mod came with it, but I also bought a Skeet tube direct from Colonial, the tube manufacturer. I think I may try to sell the two tighter ones since the Skeet works so well. But anyone who is shooting grouse in trees or on the ground might well want the tighter choke. I mostly use mine for quail and cottontails.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am an ardent fan of T/C Carbines and pistols. However for the cost of a single shot 28 gauge or 410 Contender one could purchase a very nice side by side 28 gauge conventional shotgun. It is easily taken down into 2 pieces without tools. It also swings on a moving target much more smoothly. I spend time at a resort in good grouse country. To access the hunting area I have to walk through the resort grounds. With my shorthair and shotgun in a pack I am just another yuppie walking a dog. Once in the woods I quickly assemble the shotgun, put on a blaze orange cap and the dog and I go to work.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want packable .410, look up Garcia Bronco.

LOL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Should shoot the 45s well too ..."
You will find that the long jump from the case mouth of the 45 Colt to the leade of the 410 chambered rifling very detrimental to any semblance of accuracy. Better to fire form 9.3 x 74R brass cases.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Interesting. Skeleton stock folding shotgun. Reminds me of the Chiappa Little Badger rimfire rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Aspencreek

Interesting. Skeleton stock folding shotgun. Reminds me of the Chiappa Little Badger rimfire rifles.

Those things had a horrific trigger.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by bobmn
I am an ardent fan of T/C Carbines and pistols. However for the cost of a single shot 28 gauge or 410 Contender one could purchase a very nice side by side 28 gauge conventional shotgun. It is easily taken down into 2 pieces without tools. It also swings on a moving target much more smoothly. I spend time at a resort in good grouse country. To access the hunting area I have to walk through the resort grounds. With my shorthair and shotgun in a pack I am just another yuppie walking a dog. Once in the woods I quickly assemble the shotgun, put on a blaze orange cap and the dog and I go to work.

True, the TC and MGM shotgun barrels are fairly expensive. But since I already have a couple of Contender frames then it isn't too much to add another barrel. And the Contender barrels, especially in Super 16 and hard to find lengths, really hold their value well. So I could easily resell the 45/410 for the same or more than what I paid if it doesn't work out.

If you wanted to go really inexpensive you could get a Midland backpacker folding shotgun for like $150 in 410, 20, or 12 gauge. I've actually got one in 20 that I've used a few times, but it is still just a single shot. Breakdown side by side 28 isn't a bad idea though. Never shot a 28, but from what I've read it is quite a bit more effective than 410s typically, plus 2 shots would be nice at times. So they pop right apart without using tools? And how long is it broken down?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Aspencreek

Those things had a horrific trigger.

I have one of those. Probably the most uncomfortable gun I own to shoot! That metal stock wacks your cheekbone sharply and you have a nice bruise after a few rounds.
I wouldn't describe the trigger on mine as horrific, but it's certainly not great.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The length of the barrel. The butt stock and receiver is shorter than the barrel. To dismantle pull a lever in the forearm, remove forearm and open the action lever I paid $300 for a sweet little 28 gauge AyA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 77 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.