Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
It was such a perfect day, weather-wise, and all the talk here about black powder recently had me leaning that way for a while now. It's been years since I've shot any of my black powder guns, so I figured I'd start with something simple ... my screw-barrel .45 caliber, cap and ball Derringer.

Loads of fun. I used real black powder (FFFG) that I had on hand from like twenty years ago or more. Already had the .451 balls, also very old stock, and caps (old too). Everything worked without a hitch. I guess this stuff lasts a long time in storage.

I had to shoot within ten feet (yes, you heard that right) to get any kind of decent groups, since there are literally no sights on the gun, not even rudimentary, so you really are left with almost guessing where the barrel is aimed (the view is almost completely obscured by the cocked hammer). These were intended as belly guns, to be used at bad breath distances. They were quite popular once, though, back in the middle 19th Century.

Still put a smile on my face, despite the absence of sights.

I loaded the max charge. You screw off the barrel with the supplied tool (fits into the rifling from the muzzle), then fill up a reservoir in the receiver with powder. Then you place the ball on top of the powder, and screw the barrel back on over it using the tool. There's some resistance, since it has to be snug.

Cleaning was no big deal. Just lots of hot soapy water in a tub (Only the nipple, barrel, and tool, got actually dunked ... everything else made of metal was brushed and swabbed with soapy water), followed up by rinsing then drying everything, then applying Ballistol liberally and wiping down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's awesome fun!!

I remember as a kid shooting black powder single shot pistols with my brother and dad. We had a lot of fun with them. One was a kit gun that he put together and the other he bought second-hand somewhere.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
The gun that shot Lincoln was similar in size and caliber, but required conventional front stuffing, since it lacked the convenience of a screw-off barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely awesome.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well done.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool Hawkeye, I have a cap & ball revolver and the accuracy is amazing....
Thanks for sharing....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by irfubar
Very cool Hawkeye, I have a cap & ball revolver and the accuracy is amazing....
Thanks for sharing....

Put this gun in a vice, and it will likely pattern tightly too. It's the human factor that causes a spread at ten feet. No way to align the barrel at any particular point on the target. The idea was just to pull it out, and essentially jab it at someone standing next to you (or at contact distance), and fire.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keeping the lineage alive.

Good on you.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Speaking of cap and ball revolvers, this video is pretty interesting.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good thread!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a cool slo-mo video!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All black powder is real, the other stuff is phony.

Lord Black has no shelf life unless it gets wet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
All black powder is real, the other stuff is phony.

Lord Black has no shelf life unless it gets wet.

Apparently so, since that can has been in my possession for well over twenty years (I believe, upon reflection, that I purchased it in the early 1990s). Good to know.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have some 2F that is near 40 years old, works just dandy. Historical record recounts BP kegs found in old mines estimated to be 150 years old or so...still viable.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have some 2F that is near 40 years old, works just dandy. Historical record recounts BP kegs found in old mines estimated to be 150 years old or so...still viable.

Might as well stock up, then.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The owner of Hodgdon Powder Co, who was one of my customers in the Wholesale Firearms Industry several years ago, told me the same thing. Said they had some at the Factory that was well over 120 years old. that they tested from time to time.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/10/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now that is a neat little Pistol !!

What kind of Powder charge did you use ?
Wonder what kind of speed you are getting from it ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bcraig

Funny thing about the powder charge is that you cannot load more or less than the reservoir allows. Any less and you risk detonation. Any more will just fall over the sides and be wasted before you could screw on the barrel. I suppose you could front stuff it and load a bigger charge, but it’s not designed to be loaded that way. I think, with the standard load, the ball isn’t moving much more than 600 FPS. I seem to recall someone saying that who reviewed it on YouTube.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This thread is making me want to shoot this Colt...might try it out next range trip. Could be fun.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Very nice. An 1851 Navy .36? Or is that a Dragoon .44? With the trigger guard squared, it must be a Dragoon.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Very nice. An 1851 Navy .36? Or is that a Dragoon .44? With the trigger guard squared, it must be a Dragoon.

Colt 2nd gen 1851 .36 Navy. I have two...one cased, one without. Both unfired. Colt made both round and squared guards for the '51 2nd gen.
Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Here is an original manufactured in 1852 and sporting the other (round) trigger guard. My wife's re-issue OTOH, has the squareback.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! An original. Cool.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
PS one cool thing about my screw barrel pistol is that the trigger folds into a recess in the frame when the hammer isn’t fully cocked, and then pops out when cocked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! An original. Cool.
It was in excellent shape mechanically with only traces of blue left but definite traces of silver on the brass grip frame. Additionally, it had a full cylinder scene-leaving a lot of experts saying the cylinder had been replaced, but IIRC, the cylinder was numbered to the gun. It supposedly came from a Fort Scott, Kansas family, right on the border with Missouri, and had been used by a "Jayhawker" in the Bleeding Kansas conflict (1855-1858). I could never get documentation on this even though the dealer I bought it from said he'd help. I finally got tired of it and considered it just another "story gun" though it had some other cool aspects. It went in some trade.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bcraig

Funny thing about the powder charge is that you cannot load more or less than the reservoir allows. Any less and you risk detonation. Any more will just fall over the sides and be wasted before you could screw on the barrel. I suppose you could front stuff it and load a bigger charge, but it’s not designed to be loaded that way. I think, with the standard load, the ball isn’t moving much more than 600 FPS. I seem to recall someone saying that who reviewed it on YouTube.

For the distances it would be used at I imagine that 600 FPS from a 44 or 45 would be deadly.
Jammed into the ribs of an assailant might result in Barbequed ribs !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Here is an original manufactured in 1852 and sporting the other (round) trigger guard. My wife's re-issue OTOH, has the squareback.

Nice Gear

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 16 invisible), 1,708 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.