Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by papat

Originally Posted by 4and1
Many battery packs can be rebuilt with new rechargeable cells. Not hard to do.

This. Middle son does this. It works.

And where does one get these new cells when one lives 2 hr drive from nowhere? Does your son have a link for where he gets his?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JTman
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz
Got a couple of clones on Amazon. Two for something like $65. 4 amp hr. They seem to be doing fine.

This^

I have an 18 volt Ryobi weed trimmer that came with one battery, when that battery crapped I bought two of an off brand on Amazon pretty cheap. This was years ago, they are still going strong.

Bought two clones for the electric mower, they seem to work well when I can get them to charge. Have to wiggle them around on the charger to get the lights right, otherwise the charger thinks their not in correctly. Other than that, they seem to be working fine.

Just leery about the clones for my tools, as I'm already not having what I consider the best of luck with the factory ones.

Why the "F" didn't they just come out with standard batteries for all tools so I could just get some Duracells like for flashlights, GPS units, etc.

I know, it's like Ford's "Better Idea" thing.............................yeah, right. whistle

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If one purchases a $99 package and expects the tool, charger, and battery to be top grade, they're in for a rude awakening.

Hey, I'm not a contractor using the dang thing all day long. Bought a Skil brand circular saw, not the worm drive commercial nail pounder model, just a Happy Homeowner model on the recommendation of a construction worker friend. Why buy a big ol' heavy saw when, for my uses, the little saw will likely last my lifetime? And so far, 30 years later, it still is working fine. Just cut some 2" full dimension 2" x 8" boards the other day. Of course, a 30 year old saw needs a cord and outlet to function.

My $99 Ryobi drill and saw combo are still going strong, probably over 10 years now. I was happy with the NiCad version batteries as 2 sets lasted until last summer when I got the Li-ion after they made the switch and discontinued the NiCad.

Now that I'm on a fixed income, I don't see the big ticket DeWalt or Milwaukee sets coming my way. Trying to make do with what has been a very serviceable set of tools I already own.

Now, if you're driving today, you better get that rig back on the road! wink

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by papat

Originally Posted by 4and1
Many battery packs can be rebuilt with new rechargeable cells. Not hard to do.

This. Middle son does this. It works.

And where does one get these new cells when one lives 2 hr drive from nowhere? Does your son have a link for where he gets his?

Geno

Are you boycotting Google, Duck Duck Go and other search engines? LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If one purchases a $99 package and expects the tool, charger, and battery to be top grade, they're in for a rude awakening.

Hey, I'm not a contractor using the dang thing all day long. Bought a Skil brand circular saw, not the worm drive commercial nail pounder model, just a Happy Homeowner model on the recommendation of a construction worker friend. Why buy a big ol' heavy saw when, for my uses, the little saw will likely last my lifetime? And so far, 30 years later, it still is working fine. Just cut some 2" full dimension 2" x 8" boards the other day. Of course, a 30 year old saw needs a cord and outlet to function.

My $99 Ryobi drill and saw combo are still going strong, probably over 10 years now. I was happy with the NiCad version batteries as 2 sets lasted until last summer when I got the Li-ion after they made the switch and discontinued the NiCad.

Now that I'm on a fixed income, I don't see the big ticket DeWalt or Milwaukee sets coming my way. Trying to make do with what has been a very serviceable set of tools I already own.

Now, if you're driving today, you better get that rig back on the road! wink

Geno

LOL. Stuck at home another week. It doesn't pay for chit but damn it's been a nice break despite all.
What Ryobi specifically?

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/09/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No smartass. grin

I'm not a nerd and therefor can easily be fooled into thinking xyz website for battery cells is real. Was hoping to get an actual link to a reputable place from someone who'd done it already.

Thanks for your input though. cool

Geno

PS, never google, never never never. I hate the fact my android phone is controlled by them. Teddy Roosevelt would put them through the wringer for getting too big.

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you busted one open to see what cells? Just curious.

Battery Junction is a solid place that others here have recommended.

FYI my $99 tool comment wasn't in regards to what I didn't know you bought 10 years ago. Currently, like a Dewalt bargain drill pack, imo, will be a half-assed drill, a near garbage battery and a damned basic charger. I'd bet the kids in China build the while works for $15.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/09/19. Reason: Clarity

--- Kid Rock 2022

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Boomer, I'll check out that battry junction place.

Ryobi because it's what I have. And I have it because I bought the $99 set at Costco when I was living in WA 8 months a year in an RV. All I needed for that, and I could pack 'em up in the free bag and drag them "home" to wherever the wife was at the time every winter. Still have corded saws and hand drills, but the cordless are handy out here on my 7 acre RANCH, so I just stay with the tools that are still working after almost 10 years. The batteries are the issue.

If the crap with the batteries keeps up, a nice set my go on my Santa list though.

Was doing some research on the jump starting and saw some comments about that method defeating the built in safeties that keep the batteries from catching fire. More to look into, as I was going to give that method a try. Charger and batteries are in my well house, don't want that burning down. eek

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Good luck. Awhile back I was looking at 18650 cells and decided that I am good with paying a few bucks more for protected cells. Fire bad.

With my Dewalt stuff, I invested heavy in batteries and glad for it. But did so in good times. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Ryobi 18V Li ion ones and love them. Last forever compared to the old yellow and black Ni Cad ones. Hold the charge great while not in use and lighter weight too. The best deal of the year is coming up pretty quickly. Home Depot always has killer deals on the tools and batteries starting on Black Friday and usually lasting until after Christmas if supplies last.

IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Smokey262
I have the Ryobi 18V Li ion ones and love them. Last forever compared to the old yellow and black Ni Cad ones. Hold the charge great while not in use and lighter weight too. The best deal of the year is coming up pretty quickly. Home Depot always has killer deals on the tools and batteries starting on Black Friday and usually lasting until after Christmas if supplies last.

Well, I'm glad you had better luck than I did. But thanks for the info on the HD sale. I may just wait until then to get another set. I like the power and lighter weight, but the set of two I bought hardly lasted a year. Just used one of my remaining NiCad ones this afternoon. Think it was new in 2014, so I'm money ahead on that one I guess.

Geno

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Has anyone actually had trouble with the Ryobi 18v clones on Amazon? One of the four I purchased actually stopped taking a charge after a few months. However, for what they cost, I’m still money ahead, compared to buying the name brand ones, even at Black Friday prices.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I bought a Rigid drill/recip saw package from Home Depot. After several years, the batteries started going bad but they didn't carry replacements. They were throw away. I've avoided Rigid tools every since.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 12344mag
... #2: Only buy the name brand batteries, off brand are often a great deal but they are often hit and miss for quality.

This ^^^^^^^ is my experience also. I bought two additional "Dewalt" brand 18v batteries as back ups shortly after I bought my Dewalt 18V tools. One of those puked. I decided to try the cheap Chinese knock offs for the next go around. They only do 1/3 of the work of the original "tired" Dewalt brand batteries. mad

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been pretty happy with my Ryobi lithium'ss. I had one die but I left it on the charger in an unheated garage over the winter. The rest, I can pick up a year later, and they still have a charge. The ability to retain charge for long periods is more important than the energy density to me.

Milwaukee lithium's at work have held up great also. They get used pretty hard.

I do not miss NiMH or NiCad batteries.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's one way to regenerate NiCad batteries that I read about. It doesn't work with Li so don't bother.

Put the tool in a vice and use something to hold the trigger back. Let it run completely down. Let it sit 30 min to cool, then do it again. Repeat until it won't run at all. Then recharge. That might take several times the normal charging time, maybe even overnight. The total power drain is breaking down the crystallization inside the battery. When that's gone, it'll take and hold a charge much better.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.