Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dess
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Did they have any evil racist old white guys mistreating blacks in it?

No. Surprisingly, they had married, patriotic, white guys.

Same thing to the libs...

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dess: Thank you for your assessment.
I am waiting for it to come within 65 miles of my home - then I will see it.
If you have the time, I have to tell a "movie" story on myself.
I love movies and have filled my Deer tag here in Montana (11 point Whitetail) and there is NO tracking snow at all and it is 60 (sixty!) degrees right now so I am done Elk Hunting for a while.
Anyway at 4:00 PM yesterday I am driving past the local theater as I returned from the taxidermist shop and I see on the marquis a show advertised called "Playing With Fire".
I pull in and it is starring the muscle bound wrestler turned actor John Cena!
I think, cool, an action picture with fire fighters.
I park go in - paying the matinee price and start watching the movie I am unfamiliar with the plot of.
Turns out it is a "childrens movie" and is rated PG.
Not what I wanted or expected but it was cute and had four or five good laughs in it.
I would not recommend the movie for an action oriented adult film goer!
But the popcorn was great.
Thanks again for your review I appreciate it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by hanco
Think how fuucked up it would have been with Yobama in charge.

Stand Down grin grin grin

We are not the worlds policemen grin grin grin

Just before the Japanese flew a Betty or Zero up his ass. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I learned something in this movie-don’t recall ever reading about Dick Best or seeing him in the 1976 film. He was portrayed as a true warrior.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Everyone who is interested in The Battle of Midway should read “Shattered Sword” by Jonathon Parshall and Anthony Tully.

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/1574889249

Last edited by BeanMan; 11/09/19.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love the Dauntless.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Watching it now.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe Heston played McCluskey

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mrfudd

You better shape up tiger or some hot shot jap pilot is going to flame your ass.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I liked it better than the '70s version, which might have been accurate historically, but had too much nonsense with the Japanese girl the one flyer (Heston's son, in the movie) was obsessed with. Other than too much CGI, and dive bombers pulling out so close to the ships that their bombs would have blown themselves out of the sky, it wasn't too bad. Some parts of the film were pretty good, and Harrelson did a credible job as Nimitz, which surprised me a helluva lot. Dennis Quaid did a good job as Halsey, too, for what little he was in it. The guy who played Spruance left no impression whatsoever.

All in all, I thought it was pretty fair, and the historical stuff was accurate enough, considering Hollywood these days. Again, while no one really drove their airplanes that low (due to the CGI bullcrap), the rest of the movie wasn't too bad, although they gave short shrift to the Catalina crews, and didn't mention how BAD the Devastator torpedo planes were, they DID include the Marauders from Midway trying to drop torpedoes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw it yesterday, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

When I first saw the Charlton Heston version, I didn't enjoy it that much. Then I went to see it with a friend who is an Annapolis graduate, and he fed me context throughout the movie. That was far more enjoyable, and I ended up liking it a lot.

I would rate the current version as a little less true to life. As mentioned, the CGI almost makes the story non-credible in a place or two. Also, you don't get the full picture of just how much of a disadvantage our pilots had vs. the Zero. Hellcats and Corsairs came along later in the war, and made a huge difference. As mentioned, the movie tries to pack too many events into the running time.

It's entertainment. It's fun. It's worth the trip.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The trailer alone was almost total CG. I'll stick with the old version.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nolte: ‘Midway’ Stomps Stephen King,
All-Girl ‘Terminator’ at Box Office

[Linked Image from media.breitbart.com]

Midway, the old-fashioned, pro-American war movie critics dismissed and the experts said no one would see, is beating the latest horror movie from far-left novelist Stephen King.
With a dismal 40 percent Rotten Tomatoes’ score, director Roland Emmerich’s Midway, the story of the epic WWII battle that changed the course of the war against the Japanese in the Pacific, was projected to crash into fourth place behind King’s Shining sequel, Doctor Sleep, along with Last Christmas and Terminator: Dark Fate.

Doctor Sleep slipped into 3,855 theaters with a solid 73 percent Rotten Tomatoes’ score and a projected opening windfall of $27 million. The woke romantic comedy Last Christmas opened in 3,448 theaters with a $15 million projection. Terminator: Dark Fate is still in 4,086 theaters, and was looking at a second-weekend haul of $13.4.

Midway only opened in 3,242 theaters with a projected debut of just $13 million.

And yet, even though it’s playing in 600 few theaters than Doctor Sleep, 200 fewer than Last Christmas (which looks excruciatingly awful), and 800 fewer than the all-girl Terminator, Midway is now projected to beat them all and land in the weekend’s top spot.

The far-left Deadline reports that Midway over-performed bigtime with a $19.2 million opening, while King’s Doctor Sleep nosedived with an abysmal $17.2 million.

Last Christmas and the all-girl Terminator also came slightly in below projections.

With the exception of chapters one and two of It, which were both smashes, King’s box office record has been pretty awful over the last few years. Even with stars Samuel L. Jackson and John Cusack, Cell (2016) died an ignoble death on 15 screens and a $1.3 million total global haul The big-budget Dark Tower (2017) drowned in red ink with its abysmal $113 million global haul. This year’s Pet Sematary grossed just $55 million domestic, which is less than the $57.5 million the original grossed thirty years ago — and that is dollar-to-dollar ignoring inflation.

And now Doctor Sleep, which cost $60 million produce and at least as much to promote, is dead in the water with an abysmal opening, especially when you are talking about a sequel to one of the most cherished horror movies of all time.

For more than 20 years, King could almost do no wrong at the movies: Carrie (1976), The Shining (1980), Creepshow (1982), Cujo (1983), The Dead Zone (1983), Christine (1983), Children of the Corn (1984), Silver Bullet (1985), Stand By Me (1986), The Running Man (1987), Pet Sematary (1989), Misery (1990), Shawshank Redemption (1994), The Green Mile (1999). I’ll even defend Needful Things (1993), Creepshow 2 (1987), and Maximum Overdrive (1986).

Over these last 20 years, though, there have been a whole lot more misses than hits.

As far as Terminator: Dark Fate, that sucker is doornail dead with a 59 percent crash over its opening weekend, which is especially tragic when your opening weekend stinks. Weekend two only added $12 million to Dark Fate’s tally, which means that after ten days it sits at a catastrophic $49 million domestic.

Dark Fate will need to hit somewhere between $500 and $600 million just to break even, and by Monday it will probably not be over $160 million worldwide.

They brought back James Cameron. They brought back Linda Hamilton. America’s butt-kissing critics got in line to award it mostly positive reviews. But if it walks like a social justice lecture, you know it’s going to talk like a social justice lecture, and Dark Fate is now doomed to be one of the biggest flops in Hollywood history.

You know, it’s weird how woke movies like Dark Fate, Men in Black: International, Stuber, Late Night, Booksmart, Long Shot, The Hustle, the all-girl Ghostbusters, Vice, Wrinkle in Time, and the like, continue to flame out and flop, while titles that appeal to Middle America — Midway, Angel Has Fallen, Unplanned, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Mule, John Wick, Overcomer, etc., continue to surprise the so-called experts.

And by “weird,” I mean not weird at all.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The trailer alone was almost total CG. I'll stick with the old version.

Yeah! They should have used real airplanes, bombs and ships! WTF were they thinking?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw it this afternoon. It was okay--I'd give it a B-. The movie was free of nudity, sex, and political correctness. There was some profanity, but it wasn't pervasive.

My main criticism is that the movie tried to cover too much. It portrays the attack on Pearl Harbor, a battle in the Marshall Islands, the Doolittle raid, a smidge of the battle of the Coral Sea, and finally, the battle of Midway. There just wasn't enough time to comprehensively what was happening and why. The film felt more like a highlight reel of the entire war in the Pacific up to that point rather than a feature film on Midway.

There was no time to cover, or even mention the air search for the Japanese ships or the diversionary strike in Alaska. The U.S. forces had trouble coordinating their attacks but there was no mention of that, and thus, there was no explanation as to why torpedo planes attacked without fighter cover. There was virtually no coverage of the two strikes against the Yorktown or her eventual sinking. The actual history of this battle is fascinating, and they could have done so much more with it. I was frustrated that they didn't.

The historical characters were well-depicted and portrayed respectfully. I am no Woody Harrelson fan, but he did a nice job as Nimitz. I liked Fonda better as Nimitz, but I have no complaints about Harrelson's performance.

Like I said before, I give it a B-. I would give it a solid, straight-up B, but the closing credits dedicated the film to both the American and Japanese service members who fought there. I didn't care for that.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mrfudd

Yep, and there was never McCluskey historically. He was a made up character, so we could have the son/Japanese girl drama added. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There indeed was a Wade McClusky, who went on to become a Rear Admiral.

The individual you speak of was a Captain Matt Garth, who was a fictional character.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 11/09/19. Reason: Correct Garth's rank
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree they tried to cover too much, and the CGI was so bad in the Pearl Harbor that them Zeros (??) blowing up bits of battleships by strafing them flew like a cross between Ti fighters from Star Wars and pterodactyls from Jurassic Park.

But, being a high school teacher I can tell you that if they didn’t give a synopsis of the war up until Midway most of the audience wouldn’t have a clue about the context of the battle.

Pretty sure a Chicom outfit help fund this movie, which is maybe why they included the Doolittle Raid so they could work some Chinese into the plot. Maybe too why they don’t flinch from including Japanese savagery, both towards captured Americans and Chinese civilians, staying at the end that the Japanese killed 250,000 Chinese in reprisals for helping the Doolittle crews.

It was pretty interesting to get to meet the eccentrics decifering Japanese radio intercepts, pointing out prior intelligence failures and the gamble that was Midway. The movie takes pains to point out too how good the Japanese Navy was.

The SBD’s were the stars of the movie, ya get a sense of just how small they were and what the pilots were up against. And hey, if the Japanese couldn’t actually throw that much spectacular anti-aircraft ordinance into the air it might have seemed that way to the guys diving in the planes.

No Gays, no token minorities, heterosexual married people with kids actually devoted to each other. And Woody Harrelson and especially Dennis Quaid give us maybe the best ever movies depictions of Chester Nimitz and Bull Halsey. A smart move to give teen idol Nick Jonas a role too. I was happy to see that Mandy Moor is aging well too.

An unabashed tribute to American heroism, and a serious effort to portray an actual historical event, worth supporting with your dollars for that fact alone.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
There indeed was a Wade McClusky, who went on to become a Rear Admiral.

The individual you speak of was a Captain Matt Garth, who was a fictional character.

YES!!! That's the one. I got them confused.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a damn good movie.

My Father was a Veteran of the Pacific War and just entering the service when the Midway battle occurred. When it premiered, he took me to the theater to see it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 43 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.