Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
“This is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is today one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will tomorrow be forced upon its timidity and will be succeeded by some third revolution; to be denounced and then adopted in its turn. American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader. . . . Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom.”–Rev. Robert Lewis Dabney on American conservatism, 1897

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sad but true!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang, that guy got it a long time ago.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bludog
Dang, that guy got it a long time ago.

Amazing isn't it?
Dabney rode with Stone wall Jackson.
After Virginia lay in ruins he went to Texas and helped found UT at Austin iirc

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spot on.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Wasn’t Dabney Jackson’s personal chaplain during the war?

From the little that I know of Dabney and the bit of his writing that I’ve read I wonder if he thought that Lincoln was the original progressive or that he opened the progressive door.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The progressive movement today, has hijacked the term "Progressive" after they turned the term "Liberalism" into a garbage theory that people tired of.
But to resist "progressiveness back when this was written, I think was truly meant as risisting some positive changes.

https://www.britannica.com/place/United-States/The-Progressive-era

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by IZH27

From the little that I know of Dabney and the bit of his writing that I’ve read I wonder if he thought that Lincoln was the original progressive or that he opened the progressive door.

YES he was Jackson's chaplain for a while.
His brand of Presbyterian ism made scholarly justification for black slavery. He talks of this for one full chapter in his bio of Jackson. A bridge too far for me, on that specific issue.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Robert_White

His brand of Presbyterian ism made scholarly justification for black slavery.

Nothing progressive there at all.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27

YES he was Jackson's chaplain for a while.
His brand of Presbyterian ism made scholarly justification for black slavery. He talks of this for one full chapter in his bio of Jackson. A bridge too far for me, on that specific issue.

I think that we have to be careful not to engage in what C S Lewis called chronological snobbery. In their day the view of slavery across the globe was much different than today. It is the spirit of their day rather than theirs in which I consider those men. I think that each and every generation is guilty of one or two glaring blind spots. While slavery is always wrong in that context that was a different day and a different world.

The guy was a thinking man. He stood out in his day. He makes moderns in general look like knuckle draggers.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His brand of Presbyterianism made scholarly justification for black slavery. He talks of this for one full chapter in his bio of Jackson. A bridge too far for me, on that specific issue.
That’s my take on the issue as well. For civilized societies, owning another person as a property is wrong. Period. Regardless of ‘the times’ or ‘the culture’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.