-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to advice: step on the rafters, not between them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Yup, up here batts between the joists, blown insulation on top, continuous peak roof vents, and vented soffits.

+1

Vapor barrier facing heated/cooled area aka living space..

That's how I always did it anyway...

Looks like a new day and a new way, don't know if I totally get it but it's probably the way to go with spray foam

[Linked Image from flaglerfoam.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've been out of the wood destroying organism biz for about 20 yrs. Seems it was a new thing at the time here then, it might not have been pre treated at that time.

Good to know if it is now.

The crap I remember looked like a mix of glue and a dump truck load of shredded financial reports. Sprayed onto a crawlspace wall. lol

I have a patent advancing building envelope design.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Just the floor. Keep a cold roof. You should look at blown in cellulose.

Make sure to baffle between the rafters at the side wall to maintain soffit ventilation.

This. The soffitt insulation is very important. You do want a cold roof. In cold climates, they won't approve a hot roof.
Cellulose not only works it has an additional product like borax, and is more fire resistant. Nothing wrong with it at all.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I get ready for it, I'm blowing cellulose (shredded paper) insulation in my attic. It's treated to make it fire resistant and with boric acid for bugs.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by aalf
Yup, up here batts between the joists, blown insulation on top, continuous peak roof vents, and vented soffits.

+1

Vapor barrier facing heated/cooled area aka living space..

That's how I always did it anyway...

Looks like a new day and a new way, don't know if I totally get it but it's probably the way to go with spray foam

[Linked Image from flaglerfoam.com]

On wood framed structures I’m a fan of conventional schemes.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Spray foam is taking off here in the Midwest. Great reviews.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s not which one is better. Google conditioned attic

In the South, ceiling.

In the North, rafter if you’re doing a conditioned attic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

On wood framed structures I’m a fan of conventional schemes.

I don't know much about the foam, but I do know a good bit about conventional in areas where it really matters.

I am gonna have to watch some of these newer homes getting all foam or "air tight" insulation jobs.
I see them going up but never paid much attention.

I do know I can tell a lot about a homes insulation when there is snow and or ice on the roof.
It's kinda a tell tell sign of just how well the insulation job went, especially soffit and baffle work.

I can see what they are after in the illustration but not so sure I want to heat and cool all that attic space to achieve it.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
I've been out of the wood destroying organism biz for about 20 yrs. Seems it was a new thing at the time here then, it might not have been pre treated at that time.

Good to know if it is now.

The crap I remember looked like a mix of glue and a dump truck load of shredded financial reports. Sprayed onto a crawlspace wall. lol

I have a patent advancing building envelope design.

What is your advanced envelope design?????

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What kind of roofing do you have.
If you have asphalt/fiberglass shingles, and if you insulate the roof, between the rafters, that's great in winter. That will help with you heat bills. Not as much as insulating the ceiling, but it will help.
Where you will get bit in the ass is in the summer, which in Texas is 9 months long. The ceiling insulation will trap the heat that comes through the shingles, and the shingles will overheat every sunny day.

And your 30 year shingles will last 12 years. I know what I am talking about.

If you have a metal roof it is Macht Nichts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friends brother just had his new home sprayed with the foam. The ac/heat contractor said he needed x size unit for the structure and installed the units but didn't come back for startup The owner contacted another ac/heat contractor to come for startup and this contractor, after looking at the system, wouldn't touch it. Second contractor said it was entirely wrong for the spray foam insulation. The contractor said the units were too big with the foam Insulation, IIRC. He contacted several more contractors to make sure he wasn't being steered wrong, and wound up spending 17K changing out the ac/heat units. He lawyered up and is after the first contractor.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by DrDeath
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I had my whole house done in spray foam. Upon recommendation of my builder, we did open cell on the walls and closed cell on the roof. My electric bills average about $125/month, which in Texas, is exceptional. My builder thinks the low energy consumption is from being air tight as much as from the R value. Could be. We have to crack a window for the wood burning stove to get enough of a draw until it’s good and hot.

John

So you did not do the attic floor?

The only part of my house that has an attic is over the garage. We didn’t foam the attic floor there, just the walls and roof of the entire house. The rest of the house has no attic except a little under eave storage. The great room has a cathedral ceiling and there is a loft over the bedrooms, so no attic floor to insulate.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As a sideline to our contracting business we've been spraying primarily closed cell (2 Lb.) foam for 15 years. If you have air handling equipment in the attic spray the rafters so it's not working in extreme tempatures. I've heard the shingle warranty thing but never talked to a roofer that experienced it firsthand. Houses that are sprayed from the ground up are extremely tight and usually require some forced ventilation, something their hvac contractor should take into account. Sprayed an attic once, residents started complaining of headaches , turns out they had a defective furnace, been causing health problems for years. Did a little work for the government sealing mine and ventilation shafts, used it once to support a 2 ft thick concrete slab, 60 feet across, amazing stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster
If you have air handling equipment in the attic spray the rafters so it's not working in extreme tempatures.

Not following you here, with "air handling equipment" are you referring to the actual duct work or compressor units?

Houses that are sprayed from the ground up are extremely tight and usually require some forced ventilation, something their hvac contractor should take into account.

Way back when, with homes that were considered "air tight" we use to put bathroom fans on timers so the cycled multiple times a day for various intervals of time. We also installed vents much like dryer vents for air intake in selected locations in a home.

What is done today to achieve fresh air exchange?

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
As a sideline to our contracting business we've been spraying primarily closed cell (2 Lb.) foam for 15 years. If you have air handling equipment in the attic spray the rafters so it's not working in extreme tempatures. I've heard the shingle warranty thing but never talked to a roofer that experienced it firsthand. Houses that are sprayed from the ground up are extremely tight and usually require some forced ventilation, something their hvac contractor should take into account. Sprayed an attic once, residents started complaining of headaches , turns out they had a defective furnace, been causing health problems for years. Did a little work for the government sealing mine and ventilation shafts, used it once to support a 2 ft thick concrete slab, 60 feet across, amazing stuff.

That’s another thing- I’ve read a few complaints of the foam giving off toxins...? Smelling?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Compressors are outside, the ductwork and blower are indoors. Most air handlers (blower) have some type of auxiliary heat available, gas, water, or electric. Having the handler in conditioned space allows for less energy loss. If your 72 degree air must travel through ducts in a 130 degree attic it's gonna take more energy to keep cool.
The only odors I've ever experienced have been just when the foam was sprayed, usually gone within the hour if you open the windows, not near s bad as most paints. The spray is a reaction between 2 components, is heated at the pump and mixes at the spray gun nozzle.
Good question about the controlled ventilation, last full house we did had a duct running outside to the handler. I'm sure it's a controlled fresh air intake just not sure how it's controlled. I'll try to ask one of the hvac guys tomorrow .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DrDeath

That’s another thing- I’ve read a few complaints of the foam giving off toxins...? Smelling?

Had a area professionally spray foamed, all concrete walls and ceiling. There were exposed I beams that supported the concrete ceiling that had been sweating. Due to the area was intended to be used to grow plants was the reason for getting it all foamed.

A few months into the grow show and had noticed some small areas of the I beams that were still exposed and rusting fast. Picked up a couple of cans of spray foam, whatever type it is on the shelf at Home Depot.
Emptied them both in the very well ventilated room (25x35), came back the next day to find an all but total meltdown of 150 plants. Every plant was wilted and appeared to be dying. Took a couple days for them to completely snap out of it and perk back up, these were pretty mature plants.

Yeah, the stuff off gases something that isn't so great. Again this room was ventilated very well with a few horse power of inlet and outlet ventilation fans running at the time.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JeffA

What is done today to achieve fresh air exchange?

Here in Newyorkistan,any new build is required to have "make-up air",we use a fan induced system tied into the ductwork,an HRV unit or with bath fans.
Houses are so tight,you have to bring in 0 degree air in winter,or 95 degree air in summer and condition it. crazy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 12 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.