Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
A magnetic heater would stick magnetically to where you need some heat.

??

https://katsblockheater.com/block-heaters/all/magnetic-heater-by-kats-1160

Heat output 300-400 degrees F.

I thought of that but there is no where to attach it to the oil pan. The block heater brings the engine temperature up adequately. I use 0-40 oil. The starter doesn't turn it over fast enough is a big part of the problem. Even with a fully charged battery and another vehicle boosting it or a battery charger on boost it doesn't increase the cranking speed.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saskfox

6430 premium. A salesman from the dealership bought it. That was 6 years ago and he has had no problems with it. The 6125 wouldn't start. At +15 F in a shed it wouldn't start. At -30 F in a shed plugged in it may or may not start. It's a common problem with the 6 series. Put a heavier cable from the battery to the starter helped. Had the glow plugs on a manual switch that didn't make any difference. Apparently John Deere is aware of the problems but can't change/fix them because of emissions. It rides rough as hell. It's got cab suspension and the fancy front axle. What hydraulic issues are you having Sam?

Sask, I switched to 0w-40 JD synthetic and that improved the cold starting of the 6430. It lives outside and gets plugged in, -30F might be pushing the limits of a sure start without jumper cables.

+15F and not plugged in and it will start easy. But if it's +15F or colder the hydraulic lines will pop out of the fancy connectors. All 6 popped out this morning, multiple times. When the oil gets to moving they will generally keeping working. Zero issues when it's warm out.

When it's below 0F the electronic valves won't even function. Just did an entire filter and fluid change on it yesterday afternoon. Fancy JD oil, might be worse than it was before....

The tractor has a hydraulic heater but of course that heat never reaches the outputs.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

??

I thought of that but there is no where to attach it to the oil pan. The block heater brings the engine temperature up adequately. I use 0-40 oil. The starter doesn't turn it over fast enough is a big part of the problem. Even with a fully charged battery and another vehicle boosting it or a battery charger on boost it doesn't increase the cranking speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might want to check with Bristo.. He might have a need for it on his Cane Plantation.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No water emulsified in that hydraulic oil, Sam?

Had to change mine out last year because of that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie, it would be the perfect size.

It's only around 100hp(PTO), little 4 cylinder.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by saskfox

6430 premium. A salesman from the dealership bought it. That was 6 years ago and he has had no problems with it. The 6125 wouldn't start. At +15 F in a shed it wouldn't start. At -30 F in a shed plugged in it may or may not start. It's a common problem with the 6 series. Put a heavier cable from the battery to the starter helped. Had the glow plugs on a manual switch that didn't make any difference. Apparently John Deere is aware of the problems but can't change/fix them because of emissions. It rides rough as hell. It's got cab suspension and the fancy front axle. What hydraulic issues are you having Sam?

Sask, I switched to 0w-40 JD synthetic and that improved the cold starting of the 6430. It lives outside and gets plugged in, -30F might be pushing the limits of a sure start without jumper cables.

+15F and not plugged in and it will start easy. But if it's +15F or colder the hydraulic lines will pop out of the fancy connectors. All 6 popped out this morning, multiple times. When the oil gets to moving they will generally keeping working. Zero issues when it's warm out.

When it's below 0F the electronic valves won't even function. Just did an entire filter and fluid change on it yesterday afternoon. Fancy JD oil, might be worse than it was before....

The tractor has a hydraulic heater but of course that heat never reaches the outputs.

My 6430 was a good starter. 0 F in a shed it would start no problem. I'll PM you with a guy that might be able to solve your hydraulic problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sask, thanks man.

You had the electronic valves, with quick connect couplers and didn't have any issues?

JD mechanic said they could try calibrating the valves(pressure?) and see if that helped.

Barry, no water, nice clear fluid.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sask, thanks man.

You had the electronic valves, with quick connect couplers and didn't have any issues?

JD mechanic said they could try calibrating the valves(pressure?) and see if that helped.

Barry, no water, nice clear fluid.

Same as yours. No problems. Could be a calibration issue.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
dont know if its really a good idea , but i will add a couple of gallons e10 gas to my loader tractor hydraulic oil when winter sets in

gas thins the oil to let it flow easier.....the alcohol helps to neutralize any moisture present

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
SD, what make tractor?

The transmission and hydraulic system of this particular tractor share the same tank.

The transmission is 'fancy' and can't have any thin fluid or it might break.

The red tractors with CVT have separate reservoirs.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

??

I have a couple of Kats magnetic heaters. Two of them on a 4020 diesel sitting outside will not get it started when it is below zero. Just not enough watts there.

But if you drape the whole front of the tractor in a blue tarp, and put a 1500 watt ceramic space heater under the engine overnight, then she will start.

Do not know what to do about the hydraulics issues on Sam's tractors. The newest thing I have ever worked with is over forty years old now. A hydrostat tranny is pretty high tech in my family.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
dont know if its really a good idea , but i will add a couple of gallons e10 gas to my loader tractor hydraulic oil when winter sets in

gas thins the oil to let it flow easier.....the alcohol helps to neutralize any moisture present

What kind of tractor? Not trying to be rude but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
mine is a new holland '97 model , and yeah it has a common tranny/ hydraulic reservoir

the tranny is a kind of electric/ powershift setup.... a range tranny similar to a JD powerquad but shifts electronic

got that idea from a neighbor years ago , they ran mostly older IH.....66 series and also some 88 series

Cenex used to sell a winter weight hydraulic fluid , but I havent seen it for quite a few years now

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will l throw this out for you Sam. Build yourself a couple Hyd. jumper hoses that will make a completed circuit on your hyds. Then put your valves in the float position. When you start the tractor there will be no pressure on the hoses and the oil will circulate and you will heat the oil. Then once you get everything warm you can unplug the jumpers and hook your other hoses in. I have had to do that on some applications because as you said the oil has no where to go and never gets warm.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
been adding the gas for many years now............tranny or hydraulic pump never been touched

about 7500 hrs on the tractor now

I figure the lack of flow when you first startup has to be harder on things than thinning down the fluid

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I trucked to Alaska at some times they had to put gas in the diesel to keep it from gelling. I can't remember the ratio. Luckily I never had to do that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam, just be damn glad you never had to run a propane powered JD in the winter. Our old JD 4020 propane model wouldn’t even crank if it was below 30. Always had to pull that pos off with one of our Diesel models before we could feed our cows round bails with it. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
been adding the gas for many years now............tranny or hydraulic pump never been touched

about 7500 hrs on the tractor now

I figure the lack of flow when you first startup has to be harder on things than thinning down the fluid

SD, you would think but I guess they are worried about too thin when it's hot out?

Blu, we have a couple jumper hoses but it won't even run one of those. It is really touchy.

Sask, I've always wondered if that would work. It bet it would really screw with the new diesels and their stupid computers!

C, haven't had the 'pleasure'!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
tractor leaks enough that I have to add fluid by spring so , it gets thickened up again when the weather starts to warm up

my neighbors theory was the gas and alcohol would tend to evaporate with the warming weather in spring , but I sure cant say thats what happens ,

but I am fixing to dump in some gasohol in a couple of weeks or so

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 46 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.