-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/10/us/navy-submarine-missing-for-75-years-is-found-off-okinawa.html?

Navy Submarine, Missing for 75 Years, Is Found Off Okinawa

A 75-year-old mystery has been solved, and the families of 80 American sailors lost at sea will now have closure: the U.S.S. Grayback has finally been found.

It was hidden from discovery all this time by a single errant digit.

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]
A sonar image of the U.S.S. Grayback lying at a depth of 1,400 feet. Mr. Taylor’s team located the wreck by using an autonomous underwater vehicle to gather sonar data from a few hundred feet above the sea floor. Credit...Tim Taylor/Lost52 Project

The mystery began on Jan. 28, 1944, when the Grayback, one of the most successful American submarines of World War II, sailed out of Pearl Harbor for its 10th combat patrol. By late March it was more than three weeks overdue to return, and the Navy listed the submarine as missing and presumed lost.

After the war, the Navy tried to piece together a comprehensive history of the 52 submarines it had lost. The history, issued in 1949, gave approximate locations of where each submarine had disappeared.

The Grayback was thought to have gone down in the open ocean 100 miles east-southeast of Okinawa. But the Navy had unknowingly relied on a flawed translation of Japanese war records that got one digit wrong in the latitude and longitude of the spot where the Grayback had probably met its end.

The error went undetected until last year, when an amateur researcher, Yutaka Iwasaki, was going through the wartime records of the Imperial Japanese Navy base at Sasebo. The files included daily reports received by radio from the naval air base at Naha, Okinawa — and the entry for Feb. 27, 1944, contained a promising lead.

The report for that day said that a Nakajima B5N carrier-based bomber had dropped a 500-pound bomb on a surfaced submarine, striking just aft of the conning tower. The sub exploded and sank immediately, and there were no survivors.

“In that radio record, there is a longitude and a latitude of the attack, very clearly,” Mr. Iwasaki said. And it did not match what was in the 1949 Navy history, not by a hundred miles.

Mr. Iwasaki is a systems engineer who lives in Kobe, Japan, and who became fascinated as a teenager with the Japanese merchant ships of World War II — four-fifths of which were sunk during the war, he said. Uncovering the history of those ships necessarily brought him into contact with records on submarines. “For me, finding U.S. submarines is part of my activity to introduce the tragic story of war,” he said. “It is my hobby, and also my passion.”

His work brought him to the attention of Tim Taylor, an undersea explorer who has set out to find the wrecks of every American submarine lost in the war. In 2010 he found his first submarine, the U.S.S. R-12, off Key West, Fla., where it sank during a training exercise in 1943. He set up the privately funded Lost 52 Project to track down the rest, relying on technology that had become available only in the last 10 to 15 years.

Mr. Taylor says that of the 52 lost American submarines, 47 are considered discoverable; the other five were run aground or destroyed in known locations.

Mr. Taylor and his wife, Christine Dennison, have been searching for those 47, and have begun to focus on the ones that were probably sunk near Japan.

Through his work in undersea exploration, Mr. Taylor was introduced to Don Walsh, a former Navy submariner who, as a lieutenant in 1960, reached the deepest point of any ocean on Earth, in the Mariana Trench near Guam. Mr. Walsh gave Mr. Taylor his copy of the 1949 Navy history, “U.S. Submarine Losses, World War II.”

Armed with the information in that book and Mr. Iwasaki’s discovery, Mr. Taylor and the Lost 52 team decided to make a run at finding the Grayback.

The Grayback’s last patrol was its third under the command of Lt. Cmdr. John A. Moore, who had been awarded the Navy Cross for each of the first two. His third Navy Cross would be awarded posthumously, after the submarine sent 21,594 tons of Japanese shipping to the bottom on its last mission. In all, the Grayback sank more than a dozen Japanese ships. The Navy considers submarines like the Grayback to be “still on patrol.”

Like Commander Moore did 75 years before, Mr. Taylor launched his mission to Okinawa this spring from Hawaii. When they reached Japanese waters in June, he and his team fought through mechanical and electrical problems that bedeviled their mission.

They were searching an area where the ocean was 1,400 feet deep, and their main search tool was a 14-foot-long autonomous underwater vehicle weighing thousands of pounds that Mr. Taylor likened to an underwater drone. It would dive to just a few hundred feet above the sea floor and then spend 24 hours pinging with different sonars back and forth across about 10 square nautical miles. When the drone returned to the mother ship, technicians downloaded its data, using computer software to stitch all of the sonar imagery into one coherent picture that they could quickly review.

“When you’re on these sites, you feel like you’re one breakdown away from having to go home,” Mr. Taylor said of the search area. “So every day is precious.”

On the next to last day of the expedition, the drone reported a malfunction one-third of the way through a planned 24-hour mission. As they recovered the drone, Mr. Taylor said, half of his crew started getting the ship ready to return to port, thinking that the vehicle was likely to be beyond quick repair. But Mr. Taylor began reviewing the images captured by the drone.

He quickly spotted two anomalies on the sea floor, and readied another of the ship’s remotely operated vehicles to visit the bottom. Unlike the drone, this one was steered manually from the mother ship, and had high-definition cameras.

In a matter of hours, Mr. Taylor was looking at the hull of the Grayback and, lying about 400 feet away, was the submarine’s deck gun, which had been blown off when the bomb exploded.

“We were elated,” Mr. Taylor said. “But it’s also sobering, because we just found 80 men.” The next day, Mr. Taylor and his crew held a ceremony to remember the sailors lost aboard the ship and called out their names one by one.

One of those names was John Patrick King.

His nephew John Bihn, of Wantagh, N.Y., is named after him. Mr. Bihn, who was born three years after the Grayback went down, remembers him as a constant presence in his maternal grandparents’ home, where a black-and-white photo of the submarine hung in the living room near a black frame holding Mr. King’s Purple Heart medal and citation. But in his family, the subject of his uncle’s death was “too sad to ask about,” Mr. Bihn said. “My mother would cry very often if you spoke to her about it.”

With no body to bury, Mr. Bihn’s grandparents, Patrick and Catherine King, memorialized their son on their own headstone. Under their names, Mr. Binh said, they had engraved, “John Patrick King ‘Lost in Action.’”

Mr. Bihn got a text message from his sister Katherine Taylor (no relation to Tim Taylor) two weeks ago, saying the Grayback had been found. She had gotten the news from Christine Dennison. “I was dumbfounded,” he said. “I just could not believe it.”

"I wish my parents were alive to see this, because it would certainly make them very happy,” he added.

In a video taken by the vehicle that surveyed the wreck, Mr. Binh said, the camera tilted upward at one point to show the conning tower, and a plaque reading “U.S.S. Grayback” was plain to see.

“It’s like someone wiped it clean,” Mr. Bihn said. “It’s like it wanted to be found.”

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
War is hell on both the living and the dead.......

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
80 good men gone down to the sea, forever.

They are in good company with untold numbers of other good men over the centuries - and quite a few not-so good ones as well.

RIP, Sailors.

Last edited by las; 11/10/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool story! Closure is closure, even if it comes very late.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to take anything away from Grayback, but you mentioned good men lost.

IronBottom Sound...off Guadalcanal. A lot of good Sailors lost due to the US getting into the war on a shoestring, but willing to do it nonetheless.

I have a huge amount of admiration for a Submariner. That's not something I'd really want to do, I'd rather stay above the water and fight.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m glad she was found!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
... The Navy considers submarines like the Grayback to be “still on patrol.”
Yep.. Same with the sailors who pass either during or after sub service..

Very interesting that they found that boat.. . RIP sailors....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Befitting that this was posted on Veterans Day....

Have an Uncle that went down on a Minesweeper, off the coast of Japan...

Salute of respect to Uncle Bill Ray...Sept 1945....

The final resting place of 80 men who served their country when they answered the call, when their country needed them.

may they rest in peace....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That Nip who found that sub is a damn genius. Unbelievable.

Rest in Peace, men of Grayback.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hope finding the Grayback gave closure to the families. The technology today is amazing, like finding a needle in a haystack. Great story, RIP sailors.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When my aunt was 18, she married her boyfriend right before he joined the Navy and went off to war. I think they were married for about a week before he left. He was a submariner. During the war, his sub was sunk and he was lost at sea.

Not sure what the name of his boat was though.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 11/11/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
amazing story. they had been searching 100 miles or more away from the true wreck. error in translation, for sure!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just looked it up... Man, that was an early WWII boat - commissioned June of '41.. (SS 208).. Tambor class.. What we called a 'thin-skinned boat'... I.e., max depth about 250 and had to be pressurized to get there.. Later WWII boats were the 'thick-skinned' type (3/4" thick hulls) and could dive to a hair over 400'... She had the GM 'high-speed' diesels.. I have heard them a couple times, but when I was in the main engines were Fairbanks-Morse - and they had quite a different sound..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Grayback_(SS-208)

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Redneck - very interesting - thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
She was taken on the surface, at least. Recharging batteries?

Not so the estimated 10 subs and 800 men the Navy said Rep. May (D) caused by blabbing to the mieda that our subs were having few losses because they could dive deeper than Japanese subs, so the Japaneese were setting their depth charges too shallow.

That enrages me every time I think of it. Bastard should have been hung- slowly, 3 or 4 times before the final time. Shooting him wouod have been too good for him.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

Not so the estimated 10 subs and 800 men the Navy said Rep. May (D) caused by blabbing to the mieda that our subs were having few losses because they could dive deeper than Japanese subs, so the Japaneese were setting their depth charges too shallow.

That enrages me every time I think of it. Bastard should have been hung- slowly, 3 or 4 times before the final time. Shooting him wouod have been too good for him.

Same esteemed D with his hand out on some munitions contracts that killed a bunch more service people on our side. He was convicted but Truman pardoned him...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The boat I qualified on, in 1965, was the Capitaine, hull #336. she had , if I remember correctly, GM V-16 diesels. we did not have a snorkel and charged battery on then surface. Was on board for her last West-Pac run, before being put out of commission. Still the only submarine to dive under the equator and the dateline where they intersect. Of course we were navigating the old way, no SINNs of GPS, so we could of been a little off. grin Loved going up on the cigarette deck at night and listening to those engines run and watch the stars

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las

My bet is out of torpedoes and running on the surface to Midway. WWII submarine commanders were crazy aggressive and often ran on the surface. They'd take advantage of their low profile and get ahead of the target before submerging - if at all. The preferred method was at night on the surface - get in and get out fast. The USS Grayback used its last two torpedoes to sink a freighter that same day and she was trying to get out.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't imagine how crowded it must be in any sub, given the room that must be taken up by the size of the balls of those willing to get into one.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've thought more than once about what it would be like to be trapped in one of those things as it went down. The last hours or minutes would be living hell.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.