Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If you happen to own a Lipsey’s Ruger Hawkey African in 9.3x62, please share your experiences and thoughts, good/bad, and good loads. I’ve posed this on some other sights with no response. I’m interested in this rifle, but concerned that the light “A” contour barrel might have been a mistake. Please share. Thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a couple friends with that rifle and they report good results. I have the same thing in .275 Rigby and it is an absolutely excellent shooter. Does sub moa with a number of loads, and I was whacking an 8" gong at 400 yard range with it yesterday. Pretty basic 3x9 scope. Also I havent touched ,no trigger work, bedding etc. Straight out of the box.I can honestly and easily say I like it more than any factory rifle Ive ever owned.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you. Could you ask your friends with the 9.3x62 versions to come on here and comment? Thanks

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought two of these rifles when they came out. I have only shot one of them. I have not shot it a lot, but I shot it with the open sights at 50 yards before I mounted a scope. It shot a 1" 2-shot group one inch below the bullseye, with PPU 285 gr. soft point. I then switched to Norma 285 gr. Oryx, and it shot a 2" 4-shot group that averaged 2" high right above the bullseye. I was pleased with these two groups for open sights. They seemed well regulated.

I then mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 scope on the rifle. Initially, it shot a 4-shot 1" group, that was 4" high, 12:00 @ 100 yds with the PPU ammo. I then again switched to Norma 285 gr. Oryx. The first three bullets repeated the PPU group. I adjusted the scope down 8 clicks, and it shot a 1/4" 2-shot group, 1.5 inches above the bullseye. I stopped there, and have not shot the rifle since, as I figured the scope was 'on'.

This is not a lot of shooting, so may not be of much help, but better than what you have received so far I guess!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
surefire7,

Would be interested to know what the muzzle diameter is on your rifle?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hi John,

If I can find my caliper somewhere around here, I'll measure that for you.

It is the Lipsey's model with the thin barrel. I also own two of the previous Ruger 9.3 x62 Africans made a few years back, and those barrels are definitely thicker than these Lipsey models. My Lipsey model weighs a hair under 7 lbs.

Surefire7

Last edited by surefire7; 11/11/19.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Surefire. The contour looks identical to the 7x57, and 6.5x55 from the previous two Lipsey’s Africans.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It would have been nice if the Lipsey's/Ruger 9.3x62 had been available when I was building one. Looks like a very nice rifle.

Retired cat herder.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have a couple friends with that rifle and they report good results. I have the same thing in .275 Rigby and it is an absolutely excellent shooter. Does sub moa with a number of loads, and I was whacking an 8" gong at 400 yard range with it yesterday. Pretty basic 3x9 scope. Also I havent touched ,no trigger work, bedding etc. Straight out of the box.I can honestly and easily say I like it more than any factory rifle Ive ever owned.

Nice rifle. Great candidate for an "if I could have just one rifle" argument. Are you bringing it to the Campfire pig-slaying event next March?
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/11/19.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RGK

Nice rifle. Great candidate for an "if I could have just one rifle" argument. Are you bringing it to the Campfire pig-slaying event next March?
Bob

Thanks Bob, but no....I won't be at the pig hunt this year...my "off" schedule is a week earlier, so I'll be down there hunting pigs someplace, but not with that rifle...you knowI gotta do some 'stunt shooting' and that gun is simply too big for pigs. laugh

and FWIW it IS my only rifle over .22 cal...

Last edited by ingwe; 11/12/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ColoradoMatt
Thanks Surefire. The contour looks identical to the 7x57, and 6.5x55 from the previous two Lipsey’s Africans.

You're welcome ColoradoMatt!

By the way, I weighed my rifle again this morning, as I have never weighed it after I mounted the scope. With the Ruger supplied rings, and a Leupold 2.5-8 scope, it weighed about 8lbs, 4oz. This is the Lipsey's model.

And yes, the barrel contour looks like the 275 Rigby and the 6.5x55 Swede previous models.

I really love these Lipsey's Ruger African models: weight, balance & lop are perfect for my height/arm length. I am 5'7" and weigh 160lbs. YMMV.

Last edited by surefire7; 11/12/19. Reason: add data
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, I bit the bullet, despite my concerns, and picked one up in 9.3x62. I’m 6’1”, maybe closer to 6’ these days. Connecticut Shotgun has Silvers Red rubber pads on sale for $50, So I’m going to get one. I want to mount an NECG rear aperture sight on this one, and a little more length will help the sights line up for me. I will work up the best traditional 9.3x62 load that I can with a 4x scope, then switch to the peep and call it good. Maybe one day I’ll run across the 7x57 for a sane price. I’ll scope that one. Thanks again to all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know what you have planned for it, but it would make a great Buffalo ( Cape) rifle....set up the way you described.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would still like to hear from somebody who's measured the muzzle diameter.

Why? The muzzle of my CZ 550, which I've owned since 2002, measures .605", which is considered by some as pretty skinny for a medium-bore barrel 23.6" (60cm) long. Yet it has always shot REALLY well, whether in the original clubby factory stock or the much slimmer Serengeti Rifles custom stock made five years later. Believe I have yet to try a handload that didn't shoot inside an inch for three shots at 100 yards, with many doing much better. Which, in my experience with a number of 9.3x62s, is basically how they shoot--which is of course is far better accuracy than needed for just about any use imaginable for the cartridge

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I had two of the earlier Ruger 9.3s and found the guns muzzle heavy for my taste. The only 9.3X62 I have presently is a trim and well balanced Husqvarna 640 on a commercial FN action. I think a lighter and better balanced Ruger with QD mounts and a ghost ring rear sight, also, would be a great set up.

I've had seven 9.3X62s, including the present Husqvarna, and all shot tight groups. None were in the least finicky. I can't imagine the new trimmer Ruger would be otherwise.

Also...We want pictures!!! wink wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB...if I get into the LGS I'll measure one for you...and I'll probably be in there soon...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I also have this rifle in 275 Rigby and have been eyeing one of the 9.3x62's at the LGS. It definitely has a lighter barrel contour than my earler Ruger African in 9.3x62. I'm considering letting my current African and CZ 550 9.3x62's go to get this newer African.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Why? The muzzle of my CZ 550, which I've owned since 2002, measures .605", which is considered by some as pretty skinny for a medium-bore barrel 23.6" (60cm) long. Yet it has always shot REALLY well, whether in the original clubby factory stock or the much slimmer Serengeti Rifles custom stock made five years later. Believe I have yet to try a handload that didn't shoot inside an inch for three shots at 100 yards, with many doing much better. Which, in my experience with a number of 9.3x62s, is basically how they shoot--which is of course is far better accuracy than needed for just about any use imaginable for the cartridge

My calipers are boxed up from a move, but a tape measure read right at 9/16 or 0.5625”. I don’t think the muzzle diameter is all that much of a factor compared to how thin these barrels are overall. The description at the end of the box says “24” A”, which I take to mean the same contour found on the 24” No.1-As. I own an original 1939 Oberndorf Type A in 9.3x62 and a take off barrel from the same, both having muzzle diameters of .588-590” (23.6”). Both barrels are quite heavy in the rear, step down after the sight base, then taper to the end. The Ruger barrel looks elegant, like an old long barreled 275 Rigby or 350 Rigby. I hope mine shoots as good as it looks. I may try working up your now famous Nosler Partition load, but I suspect standard velocities may be in order for this one. My rifle’s stock must be quite heavy, compared to others, as my kitchen scale reads 7lbs 10oz. This a good thing!

Last edited by ColoradoMatt; 11/13/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't have a Ruger, but just recently got a 9.3x62 Zastava. It weighs 7lb 9oz on my fish scale and the 22" barrel is only 0.568" at the muzzle. I haven't shot it yet as waiting on delivery of dies, brass, & bullets....

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I just looked at some 9.3x62 load data and the cartridge uses many of the same powders as the easy to get along with 308 Winchester. I suspect a bullet weight / bore size /case capacity mix that thrives on "Varget class" powders contributes to the friendly nature of whichever cartridge lands there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mooseknuckler
I don't have a Ruger, but just recently got a 9.3x62 Zastava. It weighs 7lb 9oz on my fish scale and the 22" barrel is only 0.568" at the muzzle. I haven't shot it yet as waiting on delivery of dies, brass, & bullets....

Interesting...for JB and others who asked, I miked a Ruger African at the LGS today and came up with .560...

Last edited by ingwe; 11/13/19.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
.560 is basically the standard Ruger "sporter" barrel contour on guns like a 30-06 at 22"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Tom.

I would expect them to shoot well.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Don't know what you have planned for it, but it would make a great Buffalo ( Cape) rifle....set up the way you described.

I have a few years before I will be able to afford hunting abroad (daughter in middle of college, and son still in HS), but I’d love to hunt buff with this rifle. Plains game, as well. In the meantime, I’ll hunt the usual fair here in CO, and pigs in TX.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. My internet connection went out two days ago, and they came by an hour ago and fixed me up. My neighbor cut the line when he was digging around!

Anyway, my digital caliper says my Lipsey's Ruger African 9.3x62 has a muzzle diameter of .567.

I then was curious and measured my older Ruger African 9.3x62, and it's muzzle diameter was .672.

This older model was the first one they came out with a few years back, before they started putting muzzle brakes on the African models. Mine has no brake, the way I prefer it.

I also did some weighing. My Lipsey's model has a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 scope on it with the supplied Ruger rings, and it weighs 8lb. 4oz.

My older one with the .672 barrel contour weighs 8lbs. 4oz. also, but that is its bare weight with no scope or rings. I imagine it will be in the 9 lb. + range when I decide to scope it.

Sorry for the delay in my reply John & Matt...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That .567" is definitely their standard sporter contour. My .30-06 M77 22" shows .568" and a M77 .223 is .567" at 22" as well.

Fwiw, a Ruger #1A .250 Savage is .562" at the very tip of its 24" barrel, just ahead of the front sight band.

That .672" figure matches their #1S contour, my .30-06 #1S is .671" at 24".

In still more fwiw news, their Model 77 magnum contour barrel runs .627" at 24". Hmm, wonder if they meant to make that first African on the magnum contour barrel and someone at Ruger transposed the last two digits on the spec sheet... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I am right now reading the current 'Safari' magazine, Nov./Dec. 2019 issue, and there is a great article by Boddington on the 9.3s. By a picture of a buffalo he shot with his Montana 9.3x62, it states that 'he used to question the use of the 9.3 for buffalo but admits he was wrong; in effect it's impossible to tell the difference between the 9.3s and the 375s.'

He an a group tested the new 9.3x66 in Zim when it came out (370 Sako) and they all took a buff with one shot each, and two members of the group did the same on two elephant.

He quoted the advantages of the 9.3 over the 375 in; less felt recoil, standard length action, lighter rifle, more ammo in the magazine (usual 5 compared to 3 for the 375), and in his own words, indistinguishable performance on game between the two.

He concluded the article, "I'm now convinced that, short of the really big stuff, the 9.3mm may actually be a more versatile option."

A turn around for Mr. Boddington on his favorite 'most versatile' 375 all-round safari rifle caliber. And I agree that the 375H&H is a superb all-around safari rifle. My first and last Buffalo have been taken with my 375.

I have taken (7) Buffalo in Africa so far, with a 375H&H, 404Jeffery & 458 Lott. I think I may try either my 9.3x66 or my 9.3x62 on my next safari.

Last edited by surefire7; 11/14/19. Reason: correction
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My 9.3x62 is a 1988 first generation Ruger 77. I bought the rifle used as a .30-06 but had it rebarreled to 9.3x62. I like the rifle but so far have only killed deer with it. I think next time I go hog hunting I'm taking it. My only load so far is a Speer Hot Core Semi Spitzer 270 grain bullet over 59 grains of IMR 4895. at about 2500 FPS MV. The Ruger is not a beefy rifle and the barrel contour is sporter so it's not real heavy and it will rock your teeth. I still have that red hockey puck Ruger recoil pad on it which is really only good for keeping it from sliding over on a slick floor. So a good pad might make it less painful to shoot. It's very accurate and I shoot it well. I'd recommend something like this although the old tang safety Rugers were not true control round feeds but it's pretty reliable and I would use it on dangerous anything anytime.

Last edited by Filaman; 11/14/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My LH Win 70 9.3 X 62, McMillion stock Pac - Nor 22" barrel is .604" at muzzle very accurate and holds well, rifle weigh 8# 4 ounces. with 2.5 X 8 Leupold that holds zero so far. Had Pac-Nor match the factory contour of the 270 Win.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
ColoradoMatt,

Congrats on your new rifle! I think you're going to love it, especially if like me, you appreciate light rifles.

Recoil tolerance is an individual thing, but I think this Lipsey's rifle weight in this caliber is just fine.

I wish you good luck on your future buffalo safari with your new rifle!

Last edited by surefire7; 11/14/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just to put some more examples on the list, the Husqvarna 1640 Standard rifle with an approximately 23.6" (60cm) barrel is .685" at the muzzle. Factory configuration. Those Rugers look like a fine 9.3x62mm to me too.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I played around with a Husky 1640 for a while. It shot fine, but I was looking for a lighter rifle. Had discovered years before that the .338 Winchester Magnum does not recoil nearly as viciously as some people believe, and suspected the same was true of the 9.3x62--and was right.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That .567" is definitely their standard sporter contour. My .30-06 M77 22" shows .568" and a M77 .223 is .567" at 22" as well.

Fwiw, a Ruger #1A .250 Savage is .562" at the very tip of its 24" barrel, just ahead of the front sight band.

In still more fwiw news, their Model 77 magnum contour barrel runs .627" at 24". Hmm, wonwider if they meant to make that first African on the magnum contour barrel and someone at Ruger transposed the last two digits on the spec sheet... wink
In my limited estimation the Ruger 77 in .30-06 with 22 inch barrel is the most fantastic deer-elk rifle on the market.
Put as 4x or 3-9 on it and you have the perfect deer-hog rifle made. Even a good elk rifle.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

In still more fwiw news, their Model 77 magnum contour barrel runs .627" at 24". Hmm, wonwider if they meant to make that first African on the magnum contour barrel and someone at Ruger transposed the last two digits on the spec sheet... wink
In my limited estimation the Ruger 77 in .30-06 with 22 inch barrel is the most fantastic deer-elk rifle on the market.
Put as 4x or 3-9 on it and you have the perfect deer-hog rifle made. Even a good elk rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
I also have this rifle in 275 Rigby and have been eyeing one of the 9.3x62's at the LGS. It definitely has a lighter barrel contour than my earler Ruger African in 9.3x62. I'm considering letting my current African and CZ 550 9.3x62's go to get this newer African.

Well crap - one of the two at the LGS had much better than average wood so now they're down to one left blush Does a guy really need three 9.3x62's?

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Another data point: Heym SR-30, 60cm barrel measures 0.630" at the muzzle. 7lb, 14oz bare; 9lb, 6oz scoped. Also a very fine shooter.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This Ruger weighs 7 lbs 5 oz on my scale.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGray
This Ruger weighs 7 lbs 5 oz on my scale.

Mine weighs 7lbs 10oz, and balances right at rear of the front receiver ring. A thicker recoil pad and an NECG aperture will change that slightly.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 9.3 African and am just getting it sighted in and working up some loads for it.

Because of the faster 1/10 twist and 24" barrel I'm looking forward to spinning some 300's and 320's in it.

Have some VN powder and 'hoping' RL16 may work in it.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SU35
I have a 9.3 African and am just getting it sighted in and working up some loads for it.

Because of the faster 1/10 twist and 24" barrel I'm looking forward to spinning some 300's and 320's in it.

Have some VN powder and 'hoping' RL16 may work in it.

While I certainly don’t currently have a use for anything heavier than a 286 Nosler, I was thinking those 325 grain Normas might help me resolve any latent insecurities with my masculinity that may arise. 😉

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Matt, anymore I find shooting just as fun as hunting. Pushing the envelope with new powders and heavy bullets and sending them into dry print is part of that.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

That sounds fun--it almost makes me want to buy one just for the the ridiculous enjoyment of it.

Are these a limited run, or is Lipsey's going to keep ordering them?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Matt, anymore I find shooting just as fun as hunting. Pushing the envelope with new powders and heavy bullets and sending them into dry print is part of that.

I agree entirely. I’ve seriously considered getting some of those big Dreadnought bullets, just for fun, myself. I’m wondering if the heavy Norma’s are as tough as Woodleigh’s? Might make a great bovine smacker!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

That sounds fun--it almost makes me want to buy one just for the the ridiculous enjoyment of it.

Are these a limited run, or is Lipsey's going to keep ordering them?

Limited run of 250 rifles. Get one while the gettin’s good!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JGray,

I once had two 9.3x62's, but decided I liked one better than the other, so sold the other.

But must admit to still having a 9.3 "problem," since I still have my 9.3 Barsness-Sisk custom rifle, which produces exactly the same ballistics as the 9.3x62 in a short action, and a German side-by-side 9.3x74R, which produces exactly the same ballistics as the 9.3x62 in either barrels. So maybe I have four?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

The long-time standard 1-14 twist in the 9.3x62 will easily stabilize even the Woodlight 320 spitzer. I know this not because of using rifling-twist formulaes, both old and new, but because my 1-14 twist CZ 550 shoots it under an inch, just like it does about any 9..3mm bullet--including the very long 286-grain Barnes TSX.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
John, you were a big influence on my 9.3 'problem'. When you initially wrote about your CZ 550 Lux (2000-2002?) I had Capital Sports order me one and ingwe helped lighten my wallet when it arrived. That followed with a Ruger No. 1 9.3×74 and later the original 77 African 9.3x62. It looks like I'm currently at four 9.3's and have been telling myself 1 or 2 need to go. Then I had a brain fart this morning and thought the heavier barreled African might be a candidate for a rebore/rechamber to 400 Whelen which is another itch I've had for a while now.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Discussing weights and barrel contours of the original vs current Africans, my original weighs 8 lb 2 oz and mics 0.67" at the crown. The new one is 7 lb 5 oz and 0.56" - pretty noticeable difference...

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I took a couple of side-by-side pics of my new Ruger and my old Type A Mauser, both in 9.3x62, and made some copparisons, as they both seem to have a lot in common:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...psey-s-ruger-african-and-mauser-a-9-3x62

The images in the post can be made bigger by clicking on them.

Last edited by ColoradoMatt; 11/17/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Might make a great bovine smacker!

That's my thinking. SMACK! yeah, I think so.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Every Ruger that I have owned (9.3x62, 375 Ruger, 35 Whelen, 358 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor) shot great. My 9.3x62 African shoots 3/4" with 250 grain Accubonds all day long.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU35,

The long-time standard 1-14 twist in the 9.3x62 will easily stabilize even the Woodlight 320 spitzer.

Yes, for sure, knew that.

I wanting the 1/10 twist more for impact effect with the heavier bullets.

In my 35 cals Remington 1/16 twist compared to the Ruger 1/10 twist. The Ruger gave greater penetration with heavier bullets shooting into dry print.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's interesting, as i have generally found faster twists result in wider expansion and hence less penetration. Which bullets?

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
280 grain A Frame

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I read that faster twist rates help SOLIDS/FMJ’s stay straight and penetrate deep, but that’s only anecdotal to me. I have 0 first hand on that on. It makes sense to me, though.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Either way, I like the effect of the faster twist on bullet impact.

Shot some Norma 325 grain Oryx today burning N550 62.0 grains, all just under an inch.

Bet the bovine would hate this load.

Nosler 250 AB's, burning N540 63.5 grains for 2,725 mv average, shot accurate.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Either way, I like the effect of the faster twist on bullet impact.

Shot some Norma 325 grain Oryx today burning N550 62.0 grains, all just under an inch.

Bet the bovine would hate this load.

Nosler 250 AB's, burning N540 63.5 grains for 2,725 mv average, shot accurate.

👍👍😃 That is sweet. Thanks for the loads!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost bought one for $1,050.00 the other day from an outfit in PA, but none of the three he had had anything but very ordinary wood. Lipsey's has been known to send out some very nice looking guns, but these were not anything special, and I have my Husqvarna FN/98 commercial action 9,3 already.

The trimmed down version of what I did try in the original Ruger 9.3s does definitely hold my interest, however.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, every one Ive seen of every caliber issued has had plain straight grain wood. I don't care personally but I know a lot of guys are looking for good wood at that price point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

One of the most interesting twist comparisons I've in on was with a then-new plastic-tipped, 55-grain .224 inch varmint bullet. Was hunting prairie dogs, and my shooting partner had a 1-8 twist .223 AR-15, using loads that got around 3100 fps, while I was using a 1-14 twist .220 Swift with the same bullet at 3800. The bullets from .223 "expanded" PD's a LOT more violently than the much faster Swift load!

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
MD, cool story

I used to be a doubter of what I called the "twist myth", but not anymore. There is something to it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 12 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.