-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never buy new. They lose more value than a car the first few years.

There’s lots of money in well, sewer, roads and electric hookups. If you go mobile, be wise about their location so they can be used for the permanent house.

The only way I would do it is if I were building a permanent house on the same lot. But it would be cheaper to just rent a modest home close by and save until you have the cash to build. It would be like camping at a KOA. Not comfortable and kinda expensive.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In the Brainerd area there are literally thousands of mobile homes. Every lake in that area has its share of mobile homes and there,s lots of lakes in that area.
Lots of people buy a lake lot and put a trailer on it intending to use it as a summer get away and enjoy it so much they move into it full-time.
There,s lots of nice restaurants and bars in that area—go to a few and ask around—you’ Hear the good, bad and the ugly. Or you could just drive around and knock on doors and talk to people at places you like the look of— Minnesota nice might come thru for ya

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mine was built back '73 - it's a classic single wide - needs a little work .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Mine was built back '73 - it's a classic single wide - needs a little work .
In about '78 they came out with a new national code for mobiles. They got rid of aluminum wiring, foam insulation, & some other changes. In many states, maybe all of them, anything older than that is grandfathered in but you can't move it to another location. It sits where it is or you have to demolish it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If the property already has a septic and well set up, or sewage and city water, what have you, how about find an older, used mobile home for minimal cash outlay, slap it on the property, then start working on your stick home, pay to pay? If you're comfortable living in a mobile home, which are generally less than 1000 square feet, then building a small home of similar proportions would cost you very little if you do the work yourself, you would be surprised.

As far as new mobile homes go, a coworker friend of mine was deeded 10 acres from his parents on their farm, and he put a brand new one in a few years back. I think the dimensions are 16x80 (or close to that), 2x6 construction, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, cathedral ceilings, and a gas log fireplace. I will be the first to admit, it's pretty nice. The place is buttoned up pretty tight, and the windows are Anderson I believe. The downside is he paid almost fifty grand for it, which to me is far too much money for something like that.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Spend your whole life working and end up buying a trailer.

ROLL TIDE!!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Mostly, poor people live in trailers, well off people do not.

Kid Rock lives in a mobile home (manufactured) and he's worth 80 million..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter

bet it's a nice one... smile

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
She’s the queen of my double wide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck!

Going to see Sammy Kershaw this Friday night.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They still make trailer houses?

I would go modular.

As far as stick built vs modular.....I cant believe that they would be a similar price.

Not if Legacy construction anyway. Lightweight maybe.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They’re personal property unless on a permanent foundation.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Regarding modular homes: from what I've experienced (former licensed General Contractor), modular homes don't really save you a whole lot of money over a stick-built home. That is, if you put quality molding, materials, wiring, etc. in it. You just get it built faster in a controlled environment.
Personally, I'd rather have a mobile home (trailer we call 'em here in NC) or a tiny, minimalist Katrina-cottage style home than spend the money for a modular.
Gopher, how do you envision using your home? If you're considering a trailer, I'm guessing that you are not intending to host the local medical association surgeons regularly for dinner. If you want an efficient, well-built place to live and sleep, please look into one of the many minimalist style homes that can be built. It sounds like one would be perfect for dropping in the middle of 25 acres somewhere.

You make a good point Triggernosis, but I think we're going to want something just a bit bigger. We want room for our kids to stay when they come to visit. My son and his wife have two kids, and there may be more coming. I'm thinking we'll want three bedrooms or two bedrooms and a living room adequate to sleep a couple rug rats if necessary.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco
She’s the queen of my double wide trailer with the polyester curtains and the redwood deck!

No way!

I love that song. Sammy had some great songs.

Songs of my childhood.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like everything else, there's a big difference in quality in mobiles. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota. You have to do your homework. Some are built much better than others. The hard part is finding out what's under the skin.

Years ago, we looked at one set up on a dealer's lot. It was actually funny how crappy it was. For example, the kitchen had formica countertops. The stuff had either shrunk or was cut too small because there were 1/8 to 1/4" gaps between the pieces. It make it worse, they'd filled the gaps with PINK silicone, on top of a BLUE countertop. The paneling on the walls was stapled on and the staples were working their way out. I guessed that they'd missed the studs. This was on a brand new house. You can imagine what it looked like in 5 years.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by logcutter

bet it's a nice one... smile

It's all camo ...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Like everything else, there's a big difference in quality in mobiles. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Toyota. You have to do your homework. Some are built much better than others. The hard part is finding out what's under the skin.

Years ago, we looked at one set up on a dealer's lot. It was actually funny how crappy it was. For example, the kitchen had formica countertops. The stuff had either shrunk or was cut too small because there were 1/8 to 1/4" gaps between the pieces. It make it worse, they'd filled the gaps with PINK silicone, on top of a BLUE countertop. The paneling on the walls was stapled on and the staples were working their way out. I guessed that they'd missed the studs. This was on a brand new house. You can imagine what it looked like in 5 years.

I think a lot of garbage gets pumped out and called "stick built" as well.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does Adair build homes in that area? With Adair, at least how it works here, you can help with the construction and get sweat equity before you move in, and they're stick-built. They save money by offering one of their pre-planned houses. Since they build them before they know what goes into it and how to save money. You still get to choose finishes, etc and can alter their plans to a degree.

If they work out their I'd check them out.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This area was settled starting in 1905. Sears was selling kit homes at that time and there are quite a few of them here. The pieces would come in by rail. They had some pretty high quality houses for sale that way and most are still standing. Of course they've all been remodeled any number of times with addition of modern wiring, plumbing, etc.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I was a single e 6, 2 other single e 5,s
Unit gave us single rate bah and bas to move out of barracks and live off post.
About 12 of us nco,s in the company told ta get out of barracks and get paid for it.
Scheeeettttttt . Im packing!!!!
Im moving on up like the jeffersons!!!
Had ta make room for single e1 to e4 in barracks after desert storm buildup.
Manning roster versus billet space issues.

Rent shared double wide in belleglade trailer park.

Living life large!!!!
4th of july in that park.
Pen flares, parachute flares, star clusters, regular fireworks.

LOL!!!

Lots of single nco,s division wide had ta move outta the barracks.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by hanco

No way!

I love that song. Sammy had some great songs.

Songs of my childhood.

He be at the Big Texas Saloon in Spring on Friday night!

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.