swings in sporter rifles that the
Speer lab has, I have seen 300-
to 400-fps swings with identical
loads between Remington, Weatherby,
Winchester, Ruger, Interarms
and Sako rifles, each featuring
24-inch barrels.

Questions:

So factory loads must be pretty weak, just in case?

Treat each rifle independently don't shoot same loads in multiple rifles unless really conservatively loaded?

Barrel and or chamber specs all over the place causing this issue?

I've always read this about the 7 mag and I thoroughly trust the author so would probably be very diligent to segregate ammo if owned multiples.

Thoughts?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have five 7mm Rem mags. I load 64 grains of IMR 4350 with a 140 Ballistic Tip for all of them. I need to get a chronograph to check velocities for the heck of it. This has made me curious. Two 700’s, two Sako’s, and a Kleinguenther K-15.

Last edited by hanco; 11/06/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Rem. 7mm magnum purchased around 1992. I have always found it necessary to go 3 to 4 grains over book maximums in order to come close to the velocities forecast in the loading manuals. Brass always lasted for many reloadings, no other problems experienced.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It wouldn't be so odd to me if it wasn't only ever mentioned about this particular round.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243 gets some mention.

Never had any issue with either, but I have only loaded for 2 or 3 rifles in
each.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
69 grains of Reloader 26 under a 162 eldx gives less than 10 FPS difference between two Tikkas.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've never really wanted a 7 mag but know where there is a fairly nice, push feed model 70 with the plastic stock appears 24 or 26" barrel for a price of what the action alone is worth.

Kinda peaked my interest.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always suspected some of this was due to when factory loads were loaded with 7828 powder the same for the 243. I have never had any verification of this other than anecdotal experiences of others. Of course chamber differences and throat wear are additional causes. I have shot out one 7RM and probably didn't shoot more than a couple boxes of factory loads in it so almost no testing on my part with factory fodder. If it was case geometry then the 264 Win. should show the same variation, but the only inconsistency I have heard of with the 264 was due to two diameter bullets when compared to conventional single diameter bullets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Load data for the 243 Win. and 7mm Rem. magnum being more conservative than in the past isn't because of differences between individual rifles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a Savage 7 mag for a long time that was a hammer. I was using original Barnes X at the time. I had the 160 loaded to around 2900. I bought another Savage and that barrel/chamber? was so much tighter, that I had to back off the load by five grains to quit seeing pressure signs. I went back to Interlocks and Partitions, with the load tailored to the newer rifle and never had another issue.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best eye opener for me regrding the 7 mm Rem Mag was Ken Water's Pet Loads from January 1981. He referenced a couple of things that he thought were common to the cartridge that affected it round a lot. This was the first round I loaded for back in 1973, and had me scratching my head for quite some time. I have had several rifles (five if memory serves) and they have all been unique from the others. According to Waters there were (as I saw it) a couple of things that affected it. One he pointed to a wide variation in case capacities of different headstamps of brass, secondly he indicated a wide variation in chamber dimensions, as the critical headspace dimension was the belt, there seemed to be less regard for tolerances at the shoulder. Whether or not any of this still holds true, I don't know, but every time I load for a different 7 mm RM, I use a box of factory ammo and my chronograph as a reference point, along with loading notes and good data sources. So I took from that that if you had a particular 7 RM with an oversize chamber and a case with greater internal dimension than another 7 RM, they might be considered a "wildcat" each to the other.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SteveC99
The best eye opener for me regarding the 7 mm Rem Mag was Ken Water's Pet Loads from January 1981. He referenced a couple of things that he thought were common to the cartridge that affected it round a lot. This was the first round I loaded for back in 1973, and had me scratching my head for quite some time. I have had several rifles (five if memory serves) and they have all been unique from the others. According to Waters there were (as I saw it) a couple of things that affected it. One he pointed to a wide variation in case capacities of different headstamps of brass, secondly he indicated a wide variation in chamber dimensions, as the critical headspace dimension was the belt, there seemed to be less regard for tolerances at the shoulder. Whether or not any of this still holds true, I don't know, but every time I load for a different 7 mm RM, I use a box of factory ammo and my chronograph as a reference point, along with loading notes and good data sources. So I took from that that if you had a particular 7 RM with an oversize chamber and a case with greater internal dimension than another 7 RM, they might be considered a "wildcat" each to the other.

Along similar lines... I bought my first 7mm Remington Magnum, a new Sendero, a few years ago when there were shortages of many components. The only new brass I could find was PPU, a brand I was not familiar with. As things turned out, I eventually found some new Winchester brass. The PPU brass averaged 14% greater weight than did the Winchester brass; enough weight difference that I had to increase powder charges by about 1.5 grains with the Winchester brass to get the same velocity as I was getting with PPU brass using a 140 grain bullet.

Nothing wrong with the PPU cases, but I don't recall running into a weight disparity that great with any other brass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Questions:

So factory loads must be pretty weak, just in case?

Treat each rifle independently don't shoot same loads in multiple rifles unless really conservatively loaded?

Barrel and or chamber specs all over the place causing this issue?

I've always read this about the 7 mag and I thoroughly trust the author so would probably be very diligent to segregate ammo if owned multiples.

Thoughts?

Mike

The 7mmRM exhibits a lot of pressure variation (AKA pressure spikes) from shot to shot even in SAAMI pressure bbls. That is why twice in the 1970's Remington lowered the powder charge--and consequently the advertised MV--in their ammunition.

In 1970 MV with a 150gr factory load was advertised at 3260 fps,, by 1978 was advertised at 3110 fps.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't describe the broader pressure probability distribution as pressure spikes.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My understanding, from more than one major pressure lab, is that the 7mm RM shows a wider spread in pressures than most other cartridges of the same class, both high and low. Which is why the SAAMI Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) was set at around 60,000 PSI when piezo-electronic pressure-testing became standard.

Some other rounds have a SAAMI MAP of 65,000 PSI, which is as high as SAAMI will go, but they also have standard for what the highest-pressure round in a string measures, to allow a safety margin.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Which is why I used the word "variation". There will always be some degree of shot variation in the same firearm, and of course in different rifles or loads when compared to one another. But I'm talking about the same load in the same SAAMI spec pressure bbl.

Last I knew there has been no definitive reason discovered why the 7mmRM displays such a large shot to shot variation. And when Remington couldn't figure it out they lowered the powder charge in the 70's.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Which is why I used the word "variation". ...

With the added a/k/a pressure spikes, which was the bone I picked.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Which is why I used the word "variation". ...

With the added a/k/a pressure spikes, which was the bone I picked.

Ok, I understand smile

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a few 7 Rem Mags.....I don't care a lot for them as they turn out to be just another .270 wannabe. But of the few I've owned, I've never encountered anything like the things claimed in this thread. It's not that I don't believe it....it's just that I've not experienced it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 7RM and 300 Win. cases do seem to vary more than most. I use one lot of brass for each rifle and after the first firing no issues. I have not been able to detect any pressure excursions with my rifles. Maybe if I shot more long range targets I would but I am not much of a target shooter.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.