Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Looking for a new pack to use hunting. Mainly used to carry spare clothes, and assorted items. Have started boning out the whitetail deer where they fall and carrying the meat back to the truck. Have been looking at these packs. Question I have is does the pop up series work as good as the guide light frame packs. Thinking either the mule pack or pop up 28. Both packs are plenty for what I carry. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pop up 28 is a great pack, would be ideal for what you are looking for. I've used mine for elk, you'll have no issue with deer.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
So far I've packed a couple mule deer out with the sawtooth 45 and it worked well......enough storage for day hunt and a pretty straight forward meat shelf setup.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have the popup 18. It works for me for day/afternoon hunts. The 28 may be better depending what you want to put in it. The main compartment on mine has: knife, game bags, snacks, 2 boxes of bullets (mine and wifes). Not sure a sweatshirt would fit for example, but I just strap that on the top when I am not wearing it.

I've packed out 3 antelope and no issues, carries the load well. I will probably have a whitetail in it this weekend (hopefully). My plan for elk was (over now with no elk) pack out the first load on the MR pack, then swap it for a straight frame/shelf pack I also have.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another vote for the PU28. Carried my boned pronghorn very comfortably last month. Sorry, have no experience with the guide light frame.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guide light is absolutely more comfortable under load than the popup. I find I use my popup about 75% more during the season, and pack animals with it about 3:1 over the guidelight as well. You get 75-80 lbs in. The popup and you will notice that it won’t handle a load like the guidelight will- but it’s never been an issue. I’ve packed 8 deer a pronghorn and a couple elk with my popup. I prefer actually hunting in the popup to actually hunting in the guidelight.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
All the animals in my thread “an accounting of 4 Idaho bulls” were packed out using a Mystery Ranch Mule.

It’s simply an awesome day pack.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been told by multiple people at Mystery Ranch that they're going to be switching all the Guide Lite packs to the Guide Lite MT frame that the Beartooth uses. I've packed a lot of animals with the Guide Lite frame and it does a good job, but the hip belt on the Guide Lite MT frame seems to be much improved. I'd hold out a few months if you can.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Not in a hurry as will just strap onto outside of current pack like always have done this season. Just isn't comfortable and sometimes have to stop and resecure the load how I've been doing it. Just looking to improve on the way I do it. Luckily is just a usual pack out to road and less than 1 mile.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I also have the Sawtooth 45 and recommend it.

IC B3

C
C
^ Same

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
look at pintler

lC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Best packs made

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave
All the animals in my thread “an accounting of 4 Idaho bulls” were packed out using a Mystery Ranch Mule.

It’s simply an awesome day pack.

Dave

Same here running the Mule. Had a few long pack outs with deer and elk last year. Big improvement over my aluminum frame I’d used for years.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm a complete Kifaru slut, but don't think there's a damn thing wrong with Mystery Ranch packs. They've got a following for a reason.
I've played with a popup (that kind of pop up too) and while I'm not totally sold on the reliability of the popup load lift system, for a whitetail deer as well as the occasional bigger critter I think you could make a lot worse choices.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I tend to be pretty cheap when it comes to some gear, but I pried open the wallet a few years back to get a Mystery Ranch Longbow with the load sling. The comfort and ability to haul heavy loads without a problem sold me. The only thing I don't like about MR is that they change up their offerings too frequently to keep up with.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No questions they're high quality. I'm looking at a Pop Up 28 for my hunting.

Camp is where you make it.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Obviously it has worked, but had the same thoughts on the old pop up system. The newer system seems pretty good and may have to give it a try.

Don’t call if you need help packing a Barbary, I’m sure I’ll be busy.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'm a complete Kifaru slut, but don't think there's a damn thing wrong with Mystery Ranch packs. They've got a following for a reason.
I've played with a popup (that kind of pop up too) and while I'm not totally sold on the reliability of the popup load lift system, for a whitetail deer as well as the occasional bigger critter I think you could make a lot worse choices.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Obviously it has worked, but had the same thoughts on the old pop up system. The newer system seems pretty good and may have to give it a try.

Don’t call if you need help packing a Barbary, I’m sure I’ll be busy.

Originally Posted by T_Inman

Noted.
I think you'd be more of an extra hassel while "helping" than anything else anyhow.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Drinking your beer and watching is what I meant by helping so your probably right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.