Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
The Athlon Midas 1200 is a quality unit and for only $189.99 shipped it's been a go to rangefinder

I've been using one for the last year or so. Works fine for me. I like it better than any of the Nikon units I've had.

Last edited by skeen; 11/10/19.
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had good luck with my sig. I am playing with ideas of getting one that reaches out further and it will be another sig or maybe vortex due to their life time warranty even on electronics. Most are a year or two

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve been using the ranger 1800 for two years now.

Perfectly satisfied with the results.

I like the lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong in the future.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Avoid the used Leica like the plague. They have NO warranty, and Leica has a long track record of poor to non existent warranty service in any event. I had a Leica CRF 1200 and sent it down the road after I got a SIG kilo 2200. I had a Vortex Ranger 1000 and gave it to a friend in need and found myself wanting a back up to the SIG. I solved that little dilemma with an Athlon Midas, which is a good unit, reaching 1100 plus yards.

Get a Vortex, a SIG, or an Athlon Midas. All three have a warranty, the Vortex and Athlon being lifetime.

The Athlon Midas 1200 is a quality unit and for only $189.99 shipped it's been a go to rangefinder
Just ordered one of these from you.Great price & great reviews.Ordered my lecia 900 scan model from you back in 2007 figured it was time for a upgrade grin

Last edited by coobie; 11/10/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Really just want something to help with long range shooting of steel targets. We have a lot of desert around here where you can back up a mite but would need to know the exact range. Also if shooting at established shooting ranges their target distances can vary a bit from what they say. A bottom line unit would probably fit my basic needs but it's usually good to get a bit better than what you think you need without going overboard.

I tried out a slew of friends RF's 3 years ago before I bought my Ranger 1500 and Sig 2000. They all easily ranged steel and stop signs out to a 1000 yds. If that's what your looking for then I would see what Doug can do for you with an Athlon. Warranty on optics is important to me--something I have learned over the years. But if they don't range fuzzy critters worth a hoot then the warranty isn't much better.

As I mentioned before the Leica has been the best at ranging non-reflective critters. Leica's warranty--or lack thereof--is why I didn't buy one to begin with. If I do buy Leica it will be from Doug 'cause I expect him or the Famous Neil to back me up if needed............ wink

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Really just want something to help with long range shooting of steel targets. We have a lot of desert around here where you can back up a mite but would need to know the exact range. Also if shooting at established shooting ranges their target distances can vary a bit from what they say. A bottom line unit would probably fit my basic needs but it's usually good to get a bit better than what you think you need without going overboard.

I tried out a slew of friends RF's 3 years ago before I bought my Ranger 1500 and Sig 2000. They all easily ranged steel and stop signs out to a 1000 yds. If that's what your looking for then I would see what Doug can do for you with an Athlon. Warranty on optics is important to me--something I have learned over the years. But if they don't range fuzzy critters worth a hoot then the warranty isn't much better.

As I mentioned before the Leica has been the best at ranging non-reflective critters. Leica's warranty--or lack thereof--is why I didn't buy one to begin with. If I do buy Leica it will be from Doug 'cause I expect him or the Famous Neil to back me up if needed............ wink

Interesting people's experience with various RF's. I've tried about 6 different ones myself. I do think the RF Brad mentioed, the older 1200 square Leica was solid, but I had TWO of the Leica 1200 CRF's that flat out sucked and wouldn't range diddly squat. I had to borrow a hunter's Simmons RF to get us through his antelope hunt. That sure makes you look good in the client's eyes that's for sure. The Leupy 1200 TBR was much better than either Leica I had, and this Sig 2200 is better yet. They all have Chinese electronics, even the "euros".

Last edited by JGRaider; 11/10/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Really liking the Sig 2200 BDX so far. It's fast, accurate, and fits my hand well.

Another happy owner right here! It really works well.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those with side by side experience, Sig vs Leica, which has a smaller aiming point or would otherwise be able to range open country critters better?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leica has the smaller circle, but Sigs aiming point can be just as accurate, when you find how it i, in relation to the aiming circle. Its not always centered....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. I'll work on it and see what I can figured out.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have an old Nikon Monarch 800 that has never failed after 15 years or so, but have a Leica 1000R that is much better. Several buddies have had various Bushnell and Leupold rangefinders schitt the bed. Leica is the gold standard imo.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Really liking the Sig 2200 BDX so far. It's fast, accurate, and fits my hand well.

I have the same Sig 2200 and I really like it. I've had a Nikon and a Bushnell. They both sucked and were sent back to Cabelas. You can't do that anymore though, ever since A$$ Pro bought 'em out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leica's customer service has improved GREATLY in the past couple of years. Ask around. Anyone who has had dealings with them lately has been very pleased

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
No offense Doug, but I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard that. They couldn't even get the warranty registered on that demo Geovid I bought from you last year. Leica and Swarovski shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence together when it comes to taking care of customers.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sir, slowly step away from the rangefinder!

--- Kid Rock 2022

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A while back I was looking into a new rangefinder. I ended up talking with Doug and went with his suggestion on a Leica 2400. Have never have an issue or needed customer service to date.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am still using my ancient Swarovski cool

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is what I've been using since the mid to late 90's, a Bushnell Yardage Pro 400. I grabbed this pic off the net but you can see the size of this in comparison to the power strip behind it. It's easily bigger than most full size 8x40 roof prism binoculars.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

Here's a sample image. Clean aiming point, a few different modes, this is all I've ever needed until now. If it would go out to 1000 meters and had a true horizontal distance function that's all I'd need going forward.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got one of those also great ranger

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Doug, as I have mentioned before, the only way I would buy a Leica is from you. But Leica has a hole to dig themselves out of, and they're going to have to be plumb Swarovski-like to catch up.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.