Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I tried a search and couldn't find anything, so I thought I would mention it.

A gunsmith friend of mine who is friends with J.D. and Brian at SSK mentioned to me that they had recently been bought out by Lehigh Defense. Apparently, they are bringing back the original Contender, calling it the SSK-50. The frames are listed as on pre-order through Haus of Arms, and from the photos, appear to be a reboot of the G1 frames, of which I am a huge fan. I am not much of a handgun hunter, but I love Contender Carbines, so I think I am going to pick one up. At $275, I was pleasantly surprised. It's hard to find a good used frame for that anymore.

I may just use this is an excuse to have SSK fix me up with a 21" Contender Carbine barrel chambered in 6.5JDJ to go with it.

Here's the link in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.hausofarms.com/SSK-50-FRAMES_p_2661.html

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like I'll want one of those.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
$275? I'm in for a few. Some of my originals have a lot of miles on them. Probably be better off to sell some of the old ones and upgrade.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I almost fell in your trap, but a quick trip to Whittaker's site for a 6.5 Grendel Mini saved me, I think?

Well, for the time being anyway. Those frames look very nice, and the concept of a nifty little .25/20 or something of the sort is pretty compelling. Maybe one of Dan's liitle wonders.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ran a 6.5 JDJ once, but now that mgm is building 6.5 grendel barrels (G2 only they say) I see no reason to mess with the JDJ, YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this would be a great Christmas gift for my 4 year old son.

Being it’s not a G2, are there any muzzleloader options available? That would be the one thing holding me back.

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I almost fell in your trap, but a quick trip to Whittaker's site for a 6.5 Grendel Mini saved me, I think?

Well, for the time being anyway. Those frames look very nice, and the concept of a nifty little .25/20 or something of the sort is pretty compelling. Maybe one of Dan's liitle wonders.

I was also thinking of a 32H&R, with a skinner sight or some type of precision aperture. I think it would make for a great little trapping/small game/woods loafing rifle, accurate, powerful, and extremely lightweight, under five pounds. The little 32 has always intrigued me, little lead use for the cast bullets and tiny amounts of powder.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A beautiful thing.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
32 H&R Mag and 25-20 are both calibers I would really enjoy in a carbine.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
So who all makes Contender barrels these days?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I'm not mistaken, any Contender barrel will fit any Contender. The main difference in the G2 is internal and grip angle. I shoot IHMSA with guys that use G2 frames and swap barrels as needed.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pabucktail
So who all makes Contender barrels these days?

All mine are MGM.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
32 H&R Mag and 25-20 are both calibers I would really enjoy in a carbine.

i have both of those in carbines, accurate & fun plinking in that setup.

My 25/20 is a 20" tapered barrel by SSK, the .32mag is an 18" taper by MGM. i pack those around a bit when out running trail cams, etc...and also another barrel in 32/20 as well. My .32mag is a true .32, while my 32/20 has a .308 bore.

never know when a target of opportunity will pop up...always seeing skunks, coons, armadillos, 'yotes, and hogs. Federal 85gr factory loads averaged just under 1300fps in my barrel, good accuracy. But, handloads were a good bit more peppy...7.0gr AA7 with the old style (pre-XTP) 85gr hornady HP showed 1600fps.
7.0gr Ramshot Enforcer gave good accuracy also with the Sierra 90 JHC; cant seem to find my notes on speed with that combo

.32mag:, with the old style hornady HP's...several dozen critters whacked so far with that combo. I've still got about 10 boxes of those old HP's left...XTP's do shoot just as well though, so when those are all gone i'll make the switch to those.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

in general, most published pistol-barrel-data loads from the various load manuals averaged 1300-ish or a tad more when fired from the carbine. For squirrels & stuff, 3gr Hodgdon Universal with a 98 gr full wadcutter was about as noisy as a .22LR subsonic & clocked 1025fps. Those are fun, and they make a very audible WHAP when they hit a squirrel way up in a tree.

and, 10 shots at 50 yards with the Sierra 90's...

============================================================

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's good stuff, right there. Do you have any issues finding 25-20 brass?

What would you think about a 5.7x28 in a carbine barrel?

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 11/12/19.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
OSU.....i've had the 25/20 for quite a few years so i haven't had to search lately for brass lately.......i had understood that Winchester did a small run of brass recently but i never saw any.

I do shoot a 5.7x28 carbine barrel also, kind of an "almost-but-not-quite-hornet".... 45/46 gr bullets at about 2500/2600-ish.

Only downside to the 5.7 is that brass is a bit tedious to work, primer pockets often need reamed or swaged, and that small case capacity is somewhat sensitive to variations in thrown powder charges if using a powder that doesnt meter consistently. Because of that, i have lately been using AA#7 which does flow well. Upside, i've noticed at local gun shows they practically give that 5.7 brass away; i bought once fired stuff for $40 a thousand , i guess not many people want to mess with it.

I've never fired 5.7 factory loads, dunno how they perform at carbine speeds.

At about-22-mag power levels , i sometimes take it squirrel hunting using handloads with the speer flat nosed 46gr bullets (218bee bullet), downloaded a tad bit to about 2250fps. For moderate muzzle blast loads, 5.4gr power pistol with Nosler 40gr Varmageddon HP's also yielded about 2250, and about as noisy as CCI mini-mags in my 22LR.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Do you guys ever have problems with brass stretching in goofy ways due to the design of the contender? It would be neat to get one in .30-30 with a couple scopes in Talleys in order to easily switch between loads. Then you could easily have small game/plinking loads and deer loads all at once. This would be especially great for kids I know.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
QD mounts should allow you to switch scopes without too much drama. I use Warne QD's and it keeps my zero. I suspect Talley, Burris and Leupold would do the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Do you guys ever have problems with brass stretching in goofy ways due to the design of the contender? It would be neat to get one in .30-30 with a couple scopes in Talleys in order to easily switch between loads. Then you could easily have small game/plinking loads and deer loads all at once. This would be especially great for kids I know.

Not a Contender but in an Encore I sized brass so that the action would just barely shut, kind of had to snap it. No issues w brass stretching that I could tell.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Not a Contender but in an Encore I sized brass so that the action would just barely shut, kind of had to snap it. No issues w brass stretching that I could tell.

i mostly neck-size also on the various bottleneck cartridges in my 'tenders. When forming 30herrett, 357herrett, 30reece, 25classic, and the other oddball stuff i shoot i also set dies so as to require a good snap to close the action on a fresh case during
the initial fire-forming.

On some calibers i hunt with a bit (25/35ackley, 6.5x30/30ackley, & 30/30 ackley) a .375win FL sizer die works nicely to size case bodies down as needed without setting back the shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.