Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've been shooting my Bobby Hart built 7-08. I got it last year, killed a deer with factory 120 NBT's as I hadn't gotten around to checking it out. It shoots a solid MOA.with those factory rounds.

This past weekend, I shot 140 VLD's over B.G. and StaBALL, both very accurate, StaBALL with the edge. Didn't have time to clock'em, will do that later. Was looking for groups.

I also shot 140 SGK's over 42.5 Varget and 45 B.G. Those loads grouped in the .2's with Varget, .3's with B.G. Uncanny accuracy that frankly surprised me.. I was using my 4 wheeler as a bench and the range was 110 yds. Not the best set up for that kinda precision. I'll post a picture of that set up one of these days.

Question: has anyone used the 140 SGK on WT's. We like to chest shoot our deer to save meat, so hopefully not a lot of bone and muscle involvement. MidwayUSA reviews give this bullet high reviews. It's the older HP version, not the newer one. I'm thinking it'll perform sorta like a VLD, pretty expansive with quick kills. Would appreciate hearing your experience with this bullet on game.

DF

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 140 Sierra Pro Hunters over Varget but wouldn't hesitate to use SGKs....especially at 7-08 velocities. Sounds like your gun also likes Varget.

Murphy was a grunt.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Using them in my 13yo son's 7-08. 39.6gr RL15 which is not a hot load, but it is the listed accuracy load in the Sierra manual. Haven't chrono'd to see what fps it's running, but probably 2650-2700 out of the 20" barrel? By far the most accurate bullet so far in that gun. He's killed 4 WT's, most around 100lbs, and a 175lb black bear, all between 25-100 yds All were direct shoulder shots so none went more than a few yds. Last one a few weeks ago, little buck. Broke shoulder, exited and heart looked like jello. Maybe 1" exit hole.
I use the 165's and 180's in .30-06 still too. Just never had Sierra's fail like some have. Our deer, on average, are smaller than a lot of areas though.

Last edited by jackmountain; 11/12/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've been shooting my Bobby Hart built 7-08. I got it last year, killed a deer with factory 120 NBT's as I hadn't gotten around to checking it out. It shoots a solid MOA.with those factory rounds.

This past weekend, I shot 140 VLD's over B.G. and StaBALL, both very accurate, StaBALL with the edge. Didn't have time to clock'em, will do that later. Was looking for groups.

I also shot 140 SGK's over 42.5 Varget and 45 B.G. Those loads grouped in the .2's with Varget, .3's with B.G. Uncanny accuracy that frankly surprised me.. I was using my 4 wheeler as a bench and the range was 110 yds. Not the best set up for that kinda precision. I'll post a picture of that set up one of these days.

Question: has anyone used the 140 SGK on WT's. We like to chest shoot our deer to save meat, so hopefully not a lot of bone and muscle involvement. MidwayUSA reviews give this bullet high reviews. It's the older HP version, not the newer one. I'm thinking it'll perform sorta like a VLD, pretty expansive with quick kills. Would appreciate hearing your experience with this bullet on game.

DF

It will work but just know Sierra claims the HP version of the Gameking is a little "harder" than the soft point version.

I would have no issues using them. A bud uses the SP variation in a 280 and kills deer like lightning has hit them.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for that info.

MidwayUSA reviews were very supportive of this bullet and how well it performs. One guy reported good exits on WT’s even thru a shoulder. The reviews on the newer version weren’t as good as the HP version, which isn’t what I would have expected. Nothing like first hand experience.

DF

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
DF,

I'm confused about what you mean re newer and older versions. Could you elaborate a bit?

m

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman
DF,

I'm confused about what you mean re newer and older versions. Could you elaborate a bit?

m

I was thinking the SP was the newer version, not sure, so lets say HP and SP...

Sounds like I'm not the only one confused... blush

grin

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The lead pointed Game King (boat tail) and Pro Hunter (flat base) have been around "forever" as far as I know. I was loading them in the 80's for my father and they were fine on deer. I just did a little looking and I believe the hpbt Game King in 140 gr. came out around 2012. I'd have no qualms about trying them on deer at 7mm08 speed.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by fremont
I use 140 Sierra Pro Hunters over Varget but wouldn't hesitate to use SGKs....especially at 7-08 velocities. Sounds like your gun also likes Varget.

Same here with 140 Pro Hunters over 43.25gr Varget. My Tikka T3 loves it and it's done well on deer.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The lead pointed Game King (boat tail) and Pro Hunter (flat base) have been around "forever" as far as I know. I was loading them in the 80's for my father and they were fine on deer. I just did a little looking and I believe the hpbt Game King in 140 gr. came out around 2012. I'd have no qualms about trying them on deer at 7mm08 speed.

I guess I was calling old, new and new, old... crazy

Thanks for the correction.

That HP SGK is surprisingly accurate in this rifle. So, if it's as good as the Midway reviewers say, may be a good choice for WT's and hogs.

Varget and B.G. both worked well with it. May need to try StaBALL, which was slightly more accurate than B.G with the 140 VLD, both loads going sub inch.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/12/19.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I watched my friend shoot a couple deer and a coyote with the 150gr .308 version out of a M88 .308. Deer went right down ans stayed down. Bullets obviously opened up but held together well. The shot on the coyote was going away at 125yds and hit it in the middle of the back. Hit the spine at a flat angle which put a big hole in the hide, but it continued down and through the front of the animal. If I didn't use the 139 Hornady BTSP, I would use the SGK in my kids 7-08s and my 280.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I haven't been keeping up like I used to, so I thought a new Sierra development might have caught me unaware.

The hp Sierra Game Kings have always had a "fat" tangent ogive, not the best for BC but usually quite easy to get to shoot in just about reasonable rifle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I haven't been keeping up like I used to, so I thought a new Sierra development might have caught me unaware.

The hp Sierra Game Kings have always had a "fat" tangent ogive, not the best for BC but usually quite easy to get to shoot in just about reasonable rifle.

I appreciate the info. Even with not the best B.C. for LR shooting, this gun and load are primarily for WT's and 300 yds would be about the max shot.

With the accuracy I'm seeing, and with an elevation turret on the Conquest, I may be able to twist to a fairly LR scenario. That will be another project for another day. Ballistic tape for the turret may be the next thing once I settle on a load.. Twisting out to 500 would be about the limit. Beyond that, I'll get the 26 Nosler or the 6.5-284 out of the safe.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Bobby Hart Rem 700, 7-08 in Hunters Edge, Timney 501, 3-9x40 Conquest with turret in Med LW Talleys. Hart barrel with Rem sporter contour.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bobby Hart Rem 700, 7-08 in Hunters Edge, Timney 501, 3-9x40 Conquest with turret in Med LW Talleys. Hart barrel with Rem sporter contour.

Yup I do like the looks of this set up!!!!

Dont eat the big white mint!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

DF

DF i gotta ask. why didn't you stick with the 120 bt's? what kinda on game performance did they do for you? thats what is stoked in mine and my sons teeker 7mm-08's at the moment. gonna get him to bust a front axle and see what happens @100 yds.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Years ago I tried some 130 Game Kings from a 270. I wound up killng several whitetails with them. I never caught one and never had to shoot anything more than once.

They were cheap and accurate. I doubt you could push them too fast with your 7-08.

If nothing else, you could test them on my favorite test medium - hogs.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whitearrow

DF

DF i gotta ask. why didn't you stick with the 120 bt's? what kinda on game performance did they do for you? thats what is stoked in mine and my sons teeker 7mm-08's at the moment. gonna get him to bust a front axle and see what happens @100 yds.
Big Ed

Big Ed,

I have shot a number of deer and hogs with the 120 BT from my 7-08. It is my favorite killing bullet in that round. I've had great on game performance from them. I don't have experience with the 140 SGK in 7mm but loaded a bunch of the .277 140 SGK HPBT in my .270WSM at over 3000 fps. I as worried but tried them on game. They worked great!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The boy's gun is damn near identical except barrel. 700, McMillan hunters edge in olive, timney, milled follower, Zeiss conquest 3-9x, Talley's, but OEM barrel soon to be rebarreled to a hawk hill 1-8".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by whitearrow

DF

Big Ed

Excellent question to which there is no logical answer, other than a goofy Loony chasing after the “perfect” load.

Ha! Over thinking it, for sure.

I may do exactly that and call it a day. Too many like you, JGRaider and others, whom I respect, advocating that bullet. I killed my buck last year with a 120 NBT factory load; worked great. Meat in the freezer.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.