Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have several Weaver (El Paso made) scopes.....one a K-6 and the others K-4. I bought the K-6 57 years ago and it was used then!!! I had it reblued and nitrogen filled many years back and it's still (seemingly) in fine shape.

That said I put it on a Remington 700 .30-06 and it seems to not move well.....I dial it two inches right and it moves three. I bring it back an inch and it doesn't change anything.

Further it seems to have variable settings as at times it gives me three shot groups around and inch and the next time it produces three inch groups. As a matter of fact this is about the same grouping I had on the original gun (a Remington 760 pump) way back then.

Now I'm very aware that this doesn't mean the scope is bad....it could be other things.
It seems to be my memory that JB has done extensive work with rifle scopes testing for these types of things.....so....my question to JB (or anyone that can lend credible posts)…..just where do the El Paso Weaver scopes stand in the light of much more modern scopes....or would I be much better served with a Leupold or other medium priced sciope?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
People still seem to like them, but IMHO they were an affordable scope when new - decent value but not top line - and now they are just an old scope which really doesn't hold up against what you can buy new. I don't say that to be harsh - I had long service out of a K6 and also have a steel-tube 4-12 around the place, but both have been retired. While fixed-power scopes are less common, I have a Leupold and a Meopta, both 4x, which are leagues in front of the Weaver optically, and have been completely reliable. You could also get something like a Burris FFII if you want a variable, which is leagues in front of the Weaver too, for only about $150.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you are absolutely, dead confident of your rifle's accuracy and your shooting ability...that Weaver very likely has a weak erector spring. Rare...but it happens. If it takes a couple shots to move the bullet impact after clicking RIGHT and /or UP: weak erector spring. Frequently you can right- click or up- click well past your intended correction, tap the scope sharply and the click back left and /or down to your originally intended adjustment. Make every effort to not push inward on the adjustment screws, just apply radial torque or pull outward on an adj knob when adjusting. By doing this, you are keeping the thread clearance slop to a minimum. If you are going to store a scope for a possibly extended period, back the adjustments all the way out. Engineers tell us springs do not get tired.... nonsense. I use several old steel Weavers for "proof scopes" when customers come by with accuracy problems.
+1 on the Burris FF II

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have never owned a Weaver scope, really haven’t ever seen one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
El Paso K-series Weavers vary considerably in construction, the reason many hunters have had mixed results with them. The older models didn't have ANY coating on the lenses, weren't sealed against moisture, and sometimes had iffy adjustments due to weak erector springs. They still sold well because there basically wasn't much competition at their price-point for a long time--in fact Weavers pretty much dominated the scope market for the "average guy," because they were so affordable. But they're also one of the reasons so many hunters experienced "fogged" scopes and adjustments that weren't exactly consistent--and so many believed you had to beat on adjustment turrets after you turned them.

The later models were sealed, had coated lenses and much better adjustments. I have several, partly because they're an even better deal than they were back then, and use them on my more traditional hunting rifles. The K4 on my pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .308, for instance, has very consistent adjustments--though they're 1/2" instead of today's common 1/4" or 1/4MOA. It has coated lenses, though probably only single-coated, and is sealed against moisture. It also has a plex-type reticle, one of the most reliable indications of a later-model K-series scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What Flintlocke & JB said. Also the adjustment may be dry. Try turning the knobs all the way to max in each direction and then back to your original setting. If there is any lubricant at all this will re-distribute it.

I like the looks of a Weaver on a vintage gun and the steel tubes are stout you could use then to drive fence staples with. But the glass is no comparison to even the entry level scopes currently produced. If the scope doesn't settle down I would replace it as it would kill my confidence on a longer shot knowing there might be a problem.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It also has a plex-type reticle, one of the most reliable indications of a later-model K-series scope.

My lenses do not seem ti be coated and it sports very fine cross hairs.....not the "plex tyoe"

I do have a 2-7 X (about) 35 Leupold sitting in the closet all by itself.....maybe it's time to retire the (possibly) late 1950s Weaver

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Yes the old weavers are a bit clunky. I have had very good service from 2 or 3 . One on a 30-06 1917 Enfield that I hunted first about 1960. A K-6 with a post .

I had it out and fired it a few days ago. Has not changed point of aim ever as far as I can remember.

As mentioned all are not like that .I have cussed several over the years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have more K series El Paso Weavers than the rest combined. Buy them cheap and have them overhauled...still cheap, very functional and durable.

From my cold dead hands,

DD

PS: you can't have the Unertls, Lyman, Leupolds or MVA glass either.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I now only have a K-4 on a vintage rifle, seldom used for hunting unless I'm feeling nostalgic. That said, it is new enough to have a plex reticle and works fine. As many have noted, the optics aren't as good as my newer scopes, and though getting them sighted in was a pain, once sighted in they stayed sighted in in my experience. But I enjoy those old Weavers. My uncle Bill put a brand new K-4 on a brand new M99 EG in .300 Savage in 1954. His scope always bothered me when I looked through it...the reticle was not centered in that era Weaver and the intersection of the crosshairs was noticeably a bit to 7:or 8 o'clock in the field. It didn't bother him, he killed deer with that rifle till his death in 1984. It did have covered turrets, and must have been sealed, as he never had fogging problems. My uncle Bob had an even older K-4 on a .250-3000. His had exposed adjustments...no turret covers. It also had a non-centered reticle, and I would suspect was not a sealed scope.

Last edited by 300_savage; 11/11/19.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have two V-7's and both won' t adjust anymore.They tell me they can't get parts for them

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/11/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I try to pick up nice Micro Trac models.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have two V-7's and both won' t adjust anymore.They tell me they can't get parts for them

Yep, they are finally out of parts for the V4.5, V7 and V9 scopes per a call to Ironsight Inc. They still have plenty of parts for the K series scopes. The days of using the old variable power Weaver scopes on actual hunting rifles is nearly gone. Too bad because they had good eye relief and looked right atop a blued steel and walnut rifle.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had the more recently made for awhile V 1-3 on many big magnums and 45-70s. Worked like a charm, never fogged, and always dialed right in. Same with the 2x7. Now, the 4x16 was hit or miss. I liked the early Tascos for shooters, only had one fog up. In the 70's I saw 3 Redfield 3x9 x TV Wide views fog up. Worthless. I never had a Weaver fog up. I've had some you had to work with to get zeroed, for sure, ha. Those early era scopes "ruint me" ( that's Texan for "more than ruined" ) for "dialing for distance", ha.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The old waver K series scopes were kind of the low priced gold standard back in the day. Optics perhaps weren't as good as the Redfield and Leupold competitors, but they were good enough and were common scopes back in the early 70's when I was cutting my teeth. All those scopes suffered from balky adjustments, but would usually stay zeroed once they were sighted in.and provided good service . Optics have come a long ways since then. Your scope is 57 years old. I retired when I was 57 and have been doing light service ever since. Suggest the same for that old Weaver.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I came into my 300 Savage Remington 722 it had a really not good looking scope from the 80's on it. I was in a LGS and there in the case was a K2.5. Large Eye Bell and small tube front lens. Very nice looking on the 722 with a set of weaver rings. And it shoots. Holds zero. This scope has a Plex so may be later. Still TX made. I like the look on the rifle. It would look just as nice with a Leopold. But this scope is fine for our "Sunset" close to shooting light. And the thick cover up this way shots are not long.
I dont hunt wet days with this gun. Have a syn stock 06 with a modern sealed scope for that.
Within its limits the Weaver works and looks the part.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I have had the more recently made for awhile V 1-3 on many big magnums and 45-70s. Worked like a charm, never fogged, and always dialed right in. Same with the 2x7. Now, the 4x16 was hit or miss. I liked the early Tascos for shooters, only had one fog up. In the 70's I saw 3 Redfield 3x9 x TV Wide views fog up. Worthless. I never had a Weaver fog up. I've had some you had to work with to get zeroed, for sure, ha. Those early era scopes "ruint me" ( that's Texan for "more than ruined" ) for "dialing for distance", ha.

Hey Dude, we're on the same page.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If anyone is looking for an early K Weaver, I have an excellent K-4 Duplex reticle I purchased in 1968 and a very good K-3 with post and crosshairs that was made in 1959-60. If you have an interest in either or both, please PM me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up on them and built this a few years ago. It is perfect for my hunting. 1.5x with a duplex. Target is 100 yards.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have dozens of old Weaver take off scopes. I have not shot one in 20 years. The new grand slam Weavers are usable.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

408 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,699
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.