Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am considering applying for a winemaker position at a winery in the Fredericksburg, TX area. I have never hunted in Texas and only have spent a couple weeks near San Antonia several years ago.

I assume that all the land in that area is private so hunting would be on private ranches for a fee. Is that correct? Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how hunting works in Texas?

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All you need is a wallet

They supply the corn and binoculars

grin

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There are many day lease or guided hunts available.

It is best to get on a season lease, very little public land in Texas

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might try the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site .

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Probably my favorite place to hunt. There’s enough free ranging exotics that you never know what your going to see but there’s very little public land in that part of the state. The only I know of is some further west near San Angelo and then a small bow only place near kerrville. Everything else around there is going to be private land

Lots of day hunt places and leases. A bare bones lease will run a couple thousand a year for a spot on a small place. If your only going to hunt a weekend or two a year then day hunting is probably the way to go

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can ya drive around and try to hit one with a truck, or are the fences just too high?

hahaha

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Texas is 95% privately owned. There is some public land to hunt in The Hill Country, not always worth the chase. You can search the web & get some good prices. Another good source is the bulletin boards in the podunk convenience stores around the area. Gotta beat lots of bushes that way though.

You can purchase the Annual Public Hunting permit which gives you access to public hunting, at www.tpwd.texas.gov Otherwise, you are correct.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You might get some invites if you brewed some schnapps on the side.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rufous
I am considering applying for a winemaker position at a winery in the Fredericksburg, TX area. I have never hunted in Texas and only have spent a couple weeks near San Antonia several years ago.

I assume that all the land in that area is private so hunting would be on private ranches for a fee. Is that correct? Can anyone give me a brief tutorial on how hunting works in Texas?

Make that part of the wine making deal with whoever runs that business.
Tell him/her you want the job, but I have to be able to hunt and hunt. Help me out if you offer me a job.
Get me on a lease, Please.
Land owner may just own another little 10,000 acre ranch.

Last edited by Wtxj; 11/12/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Make that part of the wine making deal with whoever runs that business.
Tell him/her you want the job, but I have to be able to hunt and hunt. Help me out if you offer me a job.
Get me on a lease, Please.
Land owner may just own another little 10,000 acre ranch.

That would be to good to be true.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You’ll either have to lease land, buy package hunts or start making friends. The deer population around Fredericksburg is really, really high. There’s a good chance you could shoot all you want at work, if they let you. We’re actually going there Thursday.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I hear housing around F'burg is really, really cheap too!

whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just reading "Texas" and "hunting opportunities" in the same sentence brings a smile to my face......

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the comments. I know the wild pigs are a problem but I do not know if they are a problem pretty much state wide or in just certain spots. Are there plenty of pigs in the Hill Country?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There's pigs in the area, but you're going to have the same access problem that you would with deer. If you're working for a vineyard I would seriously consider asking the employer about hunting rights as the poster above mentioned. Very high deer population in that area and I imagine that they're hell on grapevines

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Being the predator control agent for a vineyard in California sounds fun but not very PC. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the comments. I know the wild pigs are a problem but I do not know if they are a problem pretty much state wide or in just certain spots. Are there plenty of pigs in the Hill Country?

Yes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I hear housing around F'burg is really, really cheap too!

whistle

I've heard that too. I think a 1970's single wide trailer on a 1/4 acre is only about 250,000.00$

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
If you plan on living here making friends with people who hunt and have access to land may be your best bet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
Can ya drive around and try to hit one with a truck, or are the fences just too high?

hahaha

You'll never see a local pickup around F'Burg with out a heavy duty grill guard. The most deer I've ever seen in my life was in about 2003 on FM 1376 going to to Luckenbach. It was deer thirty in the evening there was a big pasture on either side of the road. I thought they were sheep at first then realized I was looking at about 100 plus deer.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
376 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.