Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
My old 505 scale is getting flaky, so time for a new one. RCBS doesn't do parts anymore for the 505, and I don't think the Ohaus 505 is exactly the same unit. Are the new automatic dispensing/measuring units worth the money? If so what do folks think is the best unit?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been using an old RCBS digital scale for years. Finally bought a Chargemaster Lite, which is the one I see often pictured in magazine articles. Works great, with a few whoopsies sprinkled in, mostly because it occasionally stops short of the programmed charge. I just trickle it up with the button and keep on going. Takes about the same time to fill the pan as it does for me to seat a bullet. Haven't used a balance beam in a couple of decades, though I still have a couple.

Fine ball powder is a bit of a pain to unload from the hopper. All things considered, it's a great convenience.

Got it from Amazon. The price moves up and down a good bit. Think I paid $235.

Also have the original Lyman Autoscale someone gave me, but never set it up.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
That's what I am thinking, it would be much more convenient, but I am not a real volume Reloader. The most I load a bunch of is a 2.7g load of Bullseye for a 38 Special Wadcutter. I have yet to find a powder measure that will do that consistently, if at all. Wondering if the new digital scales can do that. Looking at the Lyman Gen 6 or 5, RCBS Chargemaster/Chargemaster Lite, and the Hornaday Lock and Load. $180 to $350.. A decent mechanical scale is about $70. The old RCBS 505 is about 37 years old. Doubt the digital stuff would las that long. I may not last another 37 years either..

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got a like new RCBS digital if you might be interested. My 10 10 crashed and like you, I tried to get replacement parts. Bought the digital and promptly found a NIB 1010 at a gun show. I also have a like new 505 if you need one.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys I recommend you Use Both.

Checks/Balances... knowhatimean?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I ùse a Little Dandy for a lot of revolver loads too.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a digital scale only, and yes a check and a balance. Not really a good idea to trust either without a check and a balance. Now powder measures and thrown charges...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Always check a digital scale. The inexpensive plastic strain gauge springs used in low dollar scales can easily stop working properly..

I had a RCBS and a Dillon fail on me. Both scales were made by an outside company for RCBS and Dillon. The scale warranty from RCBS and Dillon is one year. After the RCBS failed, I purchased an expensive jewelers digital scale. It has been reliable and very accurate.

In digital scales, spend the money for a good one. I do not feel you will find a quality digital scale from any of the companies producing reloading equipment.

Google problems with digital reloading scales.

Last edited by Lennie; 11/12/19.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy, thoroughly clean the pivot and the agate. Should be completely, absolutely clean to avoid "stiction." NO OIL! And of course check for damage on the agate and the pivot. Some of that can be carefully dressed out. Bought a 1010 somewhere near 1980 and about 20 years later it started acting funky. Gave it a thorough cleaning with acetone and Q-Tips and I'm using it today. Works fine.

I use a Lee dipper just below the weight I want and either finish up with a powder dribbler or tap-tap a little powder out of a dipper depending on the powder. I usually don't reload that many at a time. I have an RCBS Competition powder measure but considering setup time and weighing witness loads it isn't much faster than weighing for 20-40 rounds.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwall
Guys I recommend you Use Both.

Checks/Balances... knowhatimean?

Jerry

I do and check often. I have also been known to wear suspenders and a belt though.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mechanical. I dont trust the electronics.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
So you guys with the digital scales. When you check it while reloading and find out it’s off again how many s hell’s do you recheck? Ed k

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I still have the old one sitting next to the new one. Occasionally I'll dump a charge into the pan of the old one as a cross-check. So far, so good. I also use bullets, especially the copper ones, as check weights from time to time. Since I generally stay away from nose-bleed charges, consistency more than safety is my concern.

The Chargemaster Lite instructions say to power it off when not in use and to warm it up before calibrating, which is to be done every time. I leave the old one on for the most part, though it often gets "stuck" and has to be power-cycled to get it to respond. Checking it with reference weights never showed it was affected by any of that, but I still calibrate it from time to time. The old balance beams stay in their boxes for SHTF use😱.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ERK
So you guys with the digital scales. When you check it while reloading and find out it’s off again how many shell’s do you recheck? Ed k

I check about every 5 th round ? or so. Seldom, but a few Xs I have found them off a LITTLE, not much but I wasn't satisfied so I re charged them. When that happens I check the previous 2-3 and proceed.
I keep my balance beam set up and have the check weights within reach.

SO FAR, so far I have not found enuff irregularity to stop using the E scales.

The MAIN reason I like E scales is, they are easy & quicker to READ.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another vote for chargemaster lite! I double check charges with a Lyman digital scale. Ive used mechanical scales for 30 years and IME probability of error is far less with "GOOD" digital scales. Yes there is a lot of [bleep] that can hit you sideways when unexpected with mechanical scales. Time to recalibrate AGAIN has happened to many of us and the thought process is I wonder how long its been this way. The Chargemaster has measured dead nuts accurate for me every time and I do follow the manufacturer recommendations.

My days of methodical mechanical bullshit are over with permanantly

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I gave up on digital/electronic powder measures after trying three different ones, all needed re-calibration during a reloading session. Went back to a balance beam, currently have an Ohaus 10-10 and it has never given me any trouble. I've used an RCBS LIttle Dandy for pistol and revolver loading practically forever.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Ive got a RCBS ChargeMaster that I bought in 2000. It has worked flawlessly all these years!! I have a set of brass check weights that I use before each use. If they are spot on I proceed with my loading!! But as with anything electronic they can get screwy so therefore it wouldn't hurt to have a back up scale!!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The reason I asked is because I tried an electronic one. I was loading 50rounds and I checked a few times and it was off. I’m talking up to a couple grains. Back in the box it went. It was one recommended one this site and another site. Scared me. Ed k

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ERK
The reason I asked is because I tried an electronic one. I was loading 50rounds and I checked a few times and it was off. I’m talking up to a couple grains. Back in the box it went. It was one recommended one this site and another site. Scared me. Ed k

The consolation that is often felt by useing a mechanical scale is that your brain see's a given number every time even if that given number might be a hidden inconsistency. One thing I have noticed concerning digital scales is most people never follow the manufacturer recommendations to allow them at least 30 minutes to warm up. When I started following directions along with buying a good digital scale all the problems went away.

I've followed warm up instructions with my chargemaster lite and checked charges with a mechanical scale that was calibrated before every use and in a year and a half the only misread charge I ever had was when the mechanical scale got bumped. The mechanical scale at that point was off but the digital scale wasn't. Ive had that sort of crap happen with mechanical scales a lot more than once and never with a digital scale. It sucks dumping 50 powdered shells and starting over because somewhere the scale was bumped and not noticed. Worst I've ever encountered with a digital scale is being off .2 tenths of a grain. Load the bullets and shoot because .2 tenths doesn't mean jack

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I did clean the pivot and the agate, Did not help much. The scale will zero, but when tapped it does not always return to zero. Re-zero and the same thing will happen, good for a couple of times then off again. The pivot is blued so to speak and the knife edge is shiny so it has had some wear. The electronic scales are suspect, I have had a few. The cheap ones do not last long. I have a good one now, and yes you get what you pay for. I have found that the digital ones are much more sensitive to any breeze, and fluorescent lighting, and electromagnetic interference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.