Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Are we talking deer or elk?Splitting the elk pelvis is tad more difficult than some of these replies indicate.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I haven't touched guts for 25+ years....

Gutless here, always. All you need is a small bladed knife...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Absolutely no reason to split the pelvis or the brisket. All it does is allow the meat to get dirty.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by callnum
Absolutely no reason to split the pelvis or the brisket. All it does is allow the meat to get dirty.

Temperature.....it can be a reason. We may be in the 20's/upper teens like today or we may be in the 70's like last week. Splitting the brisket and pelvis can help cool it quicker.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Splitting the pelvis only MAY open it up 1", same with the brisket.

I do up to 10 deer a year and 2-4 elk along with antelope and have never had an issue. If its warm enough to spoil the critter needs boned out and cooled

opening up the pelvis or brisket an inch does nothing.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
having never tried the gutless method,how hard is it to get to the tenderloins ?pardon my ignorance.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MOGC
Gutless debone and quarter and I dont miss opening up that cavity.

Doing more and more of that these days....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rong, Getting the tenderloins out is a tad tricky, but very possible even on a bull elk. I could explain it, but it's something that has to be seen to really understand. I definitely needed help the first time I tried it. BTW I seldom go gutless on deer or antelope, just elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't dote on way or the other. A lot of times If I put a bullet into the boiler room, I like to examine bullet performance.

With young hunters in camp we gut a lot to give them a anatomical lesson.

Then there is the primal experience of opening the body cavity on a cold crisp day, steam exiting and plunging your cold hands in to remove the warm offal. A essence of a hunter and being thankful for the animal.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
... Then there is the primal experience of opening the body cavity on a cold crisp day, steam exiting and plunging your cold hands in to remove the warm offal. A essence of a hunter and being thankful for the animal.

You might be over thinking it...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too much Empire Strikes Back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
... Then there is the primal experience of opening the body cavity on a cold crisp day, steam exiting and plunging your cold hands in to remove the warm offal. A essence of a hunter and being thankful for the animal.

You might be over thinking it...

No.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Then there is the primal experience of opening the body cavity on a cold crisp day, steam exiting and plunging your cold hands in to remove the warm offal. A essence of a hunter and being thankful for the animal.

Happiness is a warm gut pile . . . .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I believe it was last year on this forum that I was told I was wasting too much meat by doing elk gutless. I’ve done a couple since then and still haven’t found out what meat you get by mucking around in a bunch of blood and guts. Guess I’ll just carry on like I have been

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TheKid
I believe it was last year on this forum that I was told I was wasting too much meat by doing elk gutless. I’ve done a couple since then and still haven’t found out what meat you get by mucking around in a bunch of blood and guts. Guess I’ll just carry on like I have been

Can you get the rib meat off an elk using the gutless method ? Never killed an elk myself .

Gutless method on deer and hogs .

Wear Nitril gloves while skinning .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gutless. No gut piles in 20 years.

Originally Posted by T_O_M

For some reason, gutless still flusters me. I wind up with way more hair on the meat than I find acceptable. When that starts to go wrong, I revert back to traditional gut, skin, then quarter. Must be something I'm missing -or- there are a lot of people out there a lot more accepting of hair on the meat than I am. Or both.

I don't seem to have problems with hair.

One way to reduce hair is cut with the grain instead of against it. You could carry a couple pair of gloves if you wind up with too much hair on your skinning pair(s).

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I am gutting, I never split the pelvis, always cut around pelvic canal and pull through. Gutted a deer this morning already. Hanging in the garage ready to be skinned, quartered, bagged and into the refrigerator after coffee is finished.

If I am "off grid" so to speak, always gutless and packed out.

The deciding factor on gutless/gutting is distance, and/or ability to get whole critter to a motor vehicle, be it a truck or utv.

I have packed out critters that might have been easier to drag, and drug critters that should have been packed. crazy

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If packing any distance, gutless/quartered.

If on private property where truck/tractor/4-wheeler can get to it, gutted and then taken out whole. When gutting, I don't break the pelvis down, just cut the tissue around the outside and pull everything inside during gutting.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by TheKid

Can you get the rib meat off an elk using the gutless method ? Never killed an elk myself .

Gutless method on deer and hogs .

Wear Nitril gloves while skinning .

Sure, start at the front or back and roll it off the ribs as you go. When you get done roll up the whole sheet and bag it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on where I'm at. On our club land. We drag to an area we can get to with truck or ATV. If I'm up state forests on the mountains. Bone and quarter

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 45 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.