Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by irfubar
the punching through bone part is what excited me

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Crying Tears, here. 😂🤣😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Okay, that made me laugh.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Godogs,

One of the "problems" with Bergers (as I have pointed out many times here, and in print, since 2007, when I first got to field-test them extensively) is that they don't act like the conventional idea of expanding bullet performance most hunters have been indoctrinated with for the last several decades--which generally involves weight-retention, penetration, "perfect mushrooms", etc. The fact that they penetrate at least 2-3" before "grenading" is thus often lost on many hunters.

But if the impact velocity is low enough--and the bullet doesn't hit, say, even a rib--Bergers can indeed end up looking like conventional expanding bullets. This tends to happen more at longer ranges. Whether or not it matters is another question.

I have shot most of the VLD’s from 80gr 22cal to 300gr 338cal and agree with you with one exception, I have a lot (lot#1393) of 30cal 210gr VLD’s that will grenade on impact at any range or velocity from my 300WM up to 1300yards......want to try some??? I still have several hundred

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Haha!! 😆😆

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Haha!! 😆😆

aalf got me good..... lesson learned, not only is he a deadly milk jug assassin, his wit & humor is off the charts.... smile

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Several years ago, after reading of success with VLD's, I decided to give the Bergers a try from my 25-06, and came away very impressed!

Loaded the 115's up to a faster-than-expected mv of 3190 fps via Retumbo. Shot nice tight groups with them. Zeroed the 6x Leupold at 300 yards and went hunting. Three mule deer, four shots over two years. First mule deer was hit on the spine, and needed a finishing shot when I got to him.

I shot one young mule deer buck at about 175 yards, through the shoulder blade. Instant collapse & death. Recovered the spent bullet just under the hide on the other side, it had gone through BOTH scapula, and also destroyed the lungs. Wow! Danged thing was mushroomed, but more of a pancake look to it than shown here. I carefully set it on a rock, to take with me after I quartered up the deer for the pack out.

Oooops. Left it there. Sigh. The other Bergers I recovered looked like a varmint bullet - not much left - I think one weighed 33 grains after starting at 115. Still, all the deer died, and quickly!

Perhaps I'll give those VLD's another try one of these days. It's been a while since I hunted with them, still have a few boxes sitting around.

Guy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So you’re driving a Chevy.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
F-150, Wont make that mistake again with a Chevy

Last edited by Godogs57; 11/12/19.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Does the F-150 have a GPS to find the airport? Asking for a friend. 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
Several years ago, after reading of success with VLD's, I decided to give the Bergers a try from my 25-06, and came away very impressed!

Loaded the 115's up to a faster-than-expected mv of 3190 fps via Retumbo. Shot nice tight groups with them. Zeroed the 6x Leupold at 300 yards and went hunting. Three mule deer, four shots over two years. First mule deer was hit on the spine, and needed a finishing shot when I got to him.

I shot one young mule deer buck at about 175 yards, through the shoulder blade. Instant collapse & death. Recovered the spent bullet just under the hide on the other side, it had gone through BOTH scapula, and also destroyed the lungs. Wow! Danged thing was mushroomed, but more of a pancake look to it than shown here. I carefully set it on a rock, to take with me after I quartered up the deer for the pack out.

Oooops. Left it there. Sigh. The other Bergers I recovered looked like a varmint bullet - not much left - I think one weighed 33 grains after starting at 115. Still, all the deer died, and quickly!

Perhaps I'll give those VLD's another try one of these days. It's been a while since I hunted with them, still have a few boxes sitting around.

Guy

Im tempted myself. I ran 220 Scenars this year in my 300. Nothing volunteered for the bullet test though.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Does the F-150 have a GPS to find the airport? Asking for a friend. 😬😎

Uv korse.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
boatanchor,

Thanks for your post! That seems a little weird to me as well.

The 210 VLD happens to be the most accurate bullet in my present .300 Winchester Magnum, which I mainly use to break test-scopes with a load that gets 2950 or so. However, have not used it on game, so dunno how my lot works!

Will check the lot # of my batch, and if it's different, would happily buy some of yours to test.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mule Deer, I gave not so accurate info previously.
The Berger 210gr VLD’s that are grenades are lot#1091 not lot#1393 as I stated earlier, lot#1393 is fine. I only have 13 bullets left of lot#1091, don’t know if that is enough for you to test??? If it is PM me your mailing address and I will send them to you.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Mule Deer, I gave not so accurate info previously.
The Berger 210gr VLD’s that are grenades are lot#1091 not lot#1393 as I stated earlier, lot#1393 is fine. I only have 13 bullets left of lot#1091, don’t know if that is enough for you to test??? If it is PM me your mailing address and I will send them to you.

I shoot the 190’s in my 300 Win mag. Statistically small sample on deer but they act more like a bomb than a grenade. Wicked bullets

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.