Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Joel,
Haven’t you been working on that project for quite some time?

Looking back about 2 years, maybe a little longer. Probably half of that was waiting on various parts ie receiver/barrel etc.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow what a beauty!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Incredible build. Worth every minute of that 2yr wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful rifle; looks a little heavy for my taste though.

What does it weigh with the scope & mounts?

MM

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

I haven’t weighed it, I would guess 8.5-9 lbs. Light enough I carried it in the mountains several days without the assistance of ATVs or horses. My lightest rifle is around 7 lbs, and I have a couple heavier rifles than this one.

It’s around the lightest wood stock rifle I have. Roger Vardy’s wood blanks are rated at light/medium/heavy and this was a light blank from his inventory.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 11/16/19.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for sharing! That is a awesome rig. Congrats on the Elk.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Man that’s a fantastic rig right there; very very nice!

What’s the difference between black nitride & black t? Anyone know?

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw
Man that’s a fantastic rig right there; very very nice!

What’s the difference between black nitride & black t? Anyone know?

There’s a relatively straightforward answer, which is:

(From Wikipedia) Nitriding is a heat treating process that diffuses nitrogen into the surface of a metal to create a case-hardened surface...so Nitriding is a technical change to the metal, not a coating on top of the metal.

In contrast, Black T is a coating, like a paint or Cerakote.

However, I think a logical extension of your question is which is better, Nitride or Black T? That one I can’t say. Nitride seems tougher than Cerakote (which I have scratched), but I don’t have any rifles with Black T. I’ve heard good things.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Very interesting thanks. I chose Black T on a chrome-moly action & SS barreled rifle does the same reason you chose Nitride. I’m waiting to take delivery right now and will post up pics/report when I get it back.

Again love the rifle Joel that’s absolutely perfect in my estimation. The combination of beautiful wood and modern weather-resistant playing is a great balance especially with the general look of bluing.

Cartridge is about perfect too!

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw
Very interesting thanks. I chose Black T on a chrome-moly action & SS barreled rifle does the same reason you chose Nitride. I’m waiting to take delivery right now and will post up pics/report when I get it back.

Again love the rifle Joel that’s absolutely perfect in my estimation. The combination of beautiful wood and modern weather-resistant playing is a great balance especially with the general look of bluing.

I would be interested to see the Black T results. Weaver is fitting a Shrike to a different R700 7 Mashburn now and I’m debating nitride or Black T.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Originally Posted by efw

I would be interested to see the Black T results. Weaver is fitting a Shrike to a different R700 7 Mashburn now and I’m debating nitride or Black T.

Same here for mine. I’ve got a couple getting Black T right now. Kevin will be getting my 700 for the Shrike and barrel pretty quick. I can’t imagine either will be too bad. Your nitrided MSM is incredible though. Definite head turner.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Sweet!

The downside of the Nitride is the rifle needs shot a touch, then cleaned, then disassembled and sent off to do it right. I called and talked to H&M and they said the best way is to disassemble everything—barrel off the receiver, bolt disassembled, trigger removed, etc. Kevin did this stuff when he had it but if you are just doing a barrel it’s more effort and shipping back and forth.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If that is the case it may just get the Black T treatment. I can actually send it off once Kevin does all of the gunsmithing work. Maybe not quite the protection of Nitride but it'll be enough.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

It may be a touch heavy but it balances excellent. Feels pretty good in my paws. Joel/Kevin knocked it out of the park with that build.

Semper Fi
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a Mexican Small Ring 98 7x57 here about 10 yrs ago and sent it off to the smith to have a Dakota 3-position safety installed. Then it needed chamber recut. Then some reworking of the action yada yada yada to today it’s a .257 Rob with 1-in-9” twisted Rock Creek #1 tube in a McM Edge.

Re heat treated, Glimm’s engraved knob, G33 shaping on the driver’s side, S&Ks, reworked tang to eliminate the “Mauser notch” in stock and allow more open grip.

Anyway I’m 4 wks of the 4-6 expected into its time at Birdsong right now. Pretty excited after all this time!

I’ll post pics and whatnot here.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Beautiful rifle! Great cartridge! What a combination!

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw
I bought a Mexican Small Ring 98 7x57 here about 10 yrs ago and sent it off to the smith to have a Dakota 3-position safety installed. Then it needed chamber recut. Then some reworking of the action yada yada yada to today it’s a .257 Rob with 1-in-9” twisted Rock Creek #1 tube in a McM Edge.

Re heat treated, Glimm’s engraved knob, G33 shaping on the driver’s side, S&Ks, reworked tang to eliminate the “Mauser notch” in stock and allow more open grip.

Anyway I’m 4 wks of the 4-6 expected into its time at Birdsong right now. Pretty excited after all this time!

I’ll post pics and whatnot here.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing the pictures!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
That is a beautiful rifle Joel, Bob would love it.

EFW, looking forward to pics.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is definitely a 10 in my eyes! Awesome looking rig. Looks like it balances perfectly. Congratulations!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 63 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.