Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm comparing two calibers shooting the same type of bullet of similar weights, and it's raised some questions for me. Since I don't reload, I've been looking at ELD-X factory offerings from Hornady, the 143 gr out of a 6.5 creed and the 145 out of a 270 Win.

The 6.5 has a higher ballistic coefficient, but the 270 Win has a muzzle velocity (according to Hornady's numbers) of 500 fps more than the 6.5. The difference in velocity narrows as distance increases - that is the effect of the higher BC of the 6.5, right? However, at 500 yards, the bullet from 270 is still 100 fps faster.

Does this mean that 270 will have much more killing power from 0-500 yards? Seems like the 500 fps at the muzzle is a significant difference, but how about the 100 fps at 500 yards? Is 100 fps enough to make a difference?

Does higher BC factor into how the bullet will perform when it actually hits the target?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 6.5CM might not have a higher b.c. it's partially about comparing b.c data across bullets of same or similar sectional densities. In the example you gave, s.d. is not as close a comparable to then look at other ballistic data. For instance, you can handload the 270 win with 130gr CEB bullets with a .540 b.c and still get 3100+ fps. A lot of .264 bullets of similar sectional density do not have as high a b.c. and of those that do, say, a similar 120 gr CEB bullet, velocities are likely going to be closer to 3000+fps
in the 6.5 CM andd b.c of .500 vs . 540. with the 270 win..

To your question, all else being equal, the better b.c, bullet will eventually compensate for lower velocity over time (distance) versus a higher velocity bullet of lower b.c. .

"Does higher BC factor into how the bullet will perform when it actually hits the target?" in part, yes. the higher b.c bullet might have higher retained energy and may help you have more leeway in guessing wind drift...but most important will be final bullet placement and bullet construction that will determine how it will perform.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
More for you to consider.

The 6.5 will be spinning faster with the typical 1 in 8 ROT 6.5 CM and 1 in 10 ROT 270 Win. Does rpm matter on impact with game? It's certainly not going to be less....

Obviously, 500 fps is a lot.

Does recoil matter to you?

Higher bc will drift less, always. No matter the distance.

Prediction. Doesn't make a darned bit of difference on game because bullet placement is what matters.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/13/19. Reason: Clarity, or not. It's all good.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Prediction. Doesn't make a darned bit of difference on game.

While the 270 Win will have more " killing power", I agree that it likely won't make much if any difference on deer sized game out to most sensible hunting distances if shooting similar s.d bullets of quality construction.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Western Sloper,

You are comparing the same bullet and of the same weight, but quite different in terms of ballistic coeficient, reason by which the 6,5 catches up with the 270 as they both fly further enough.

The 270 makes more noise, recoils about a 35% more and has the potential for a higher killing power. How this shows up while hunting, I am not sure I have noticed it.

Maybe if shooting close enough, when the speed difference is still high, but at the typical shooting distances when stalking, let us say 250-350 yds, I have not noticed it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 270 and a 260 and use both, with 120 gr Nosler BTs in the 260 and 130 gr Nosler BTs in the 270. All are handloads. Both are very effective on Deer and Hogs, and more and more I find myself reaching for the 260. It’s a smaller and slower bullet, but that doesn’t seem to matter to the critters. And, inside 400 yards, bullet BC just doesn’t matter enough to a hunter to worry about.

As for killing power, I’d certainly rate the 270 higher, but the increase in killing power isn’t needed for deer. If I was specifically hunting a 300 pound hog at distance, I’d take the 270 with me, I suppose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drift. Everyone’s a long range sniper and can read gnat farts at 1,200 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things fhuqking funnier(as in NOTHING)...than you CLUELESS Fhuqks trying to "talk" rifles. Hint. Congratulations?!?

ALL boolits setting on a shelf,are equal. Read that again and now one more fhuqking time. Hint.

Introduce speed(velocity) to the equation and the changes are DRASTIC. Hint.

Launch speed,isn't impact speed,nor is it a lineal function. Hint.

Droolers love to extoll their STUPIDITY,by trying to "talk" boolits in general and BC in particular. You Fhuqktards cain't connect a single fhuqking dot,nor correlate the relationship of Facts and Physics. Hint.

Boolit mass,is largely moot and what matters most is it's construction and aero form(BC/Ballistic Coefficient),which is simply a numerical designation of a drag function...or simply,how well schit flys in a given atmosphere. Hint.

Hornie cites their .277" 145 ELD-X 270 Win Factory Fodder at 2970fps. It do thusly. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hornie cites their .264" 147 ELD-M in Kreedmire Factory fodder at 2695fps. It do thusly. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Trajectory is simply Physics and wind is simply VooDoo. Hint.

Note that within the 100yd line,the softer shooting/quieter Kreedmire,boasts the wind advantage and retains it as far as DUMB Fhuqks wish to talk out their asses. Hint.

There is admittedly a "WHOPPING" 285fps launch speed difference,though the Kreedmire surpasses same,not far outta da' gate. "Energy" is equally as fhuqking hilarious. Hint.

Not to steal any "thunder" from STUPID Fhuqks,doing their BEST. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless their hearts for fhuqking trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got purty fhuqking QUIET...I "wonder" why?!?

Hint.

LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 143/6.5 bullet has a sectional density of .293. The 145/270 bullet has a sectional density of .270. That means that the 6.5 will penetrate deeper in any game animal at any range assuming equal bullet construction. And since we are comparing the ELD-X in both calibers that is as close as you can get to an apples to apples comparison. Both will penetrate more than enough on deer size game, but if you start hunting larger game the extra penetration is something to consider. A 140 gr 6.5 will match a 180 gr 30 caliber for penetration.

The 270 will shoot flatter at any hunting range. At some point well beyond where hunters will be shooting the 6.5 may be shooting flatter. Both shoot flat enough to hit game animals out to 500 yards. The 270 only has a 1.5" advantage at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.

The 145/270 has a 270 fps advantage at the muzzle over the 143/6.5 according to Hornady (2970 vs 2700). But nobody kills stuff at the muzzle. The farther you go down range the more the gap closes. By the time you get to 500 yards the 270 only has about 120 fps advantage. Once you get out to around 700 yards the 6.5 will pass the 270. In other words the calibers are close enough (6.8mm vs 6.5mm), the bullet weights are about the same and impact speeds are more than enough at close range with either, and at longer ranges the same or a slight edge to the 6.5. No animal will ever know the difference.

But.....

I will almost guarantee that 9 times out of 10 a 6.5CM will be more accurate than a 270.

In an 8 lb rifle a 6.5 will recoil with about 14 ft lbs of recoil. Not much more than a 243. In an 8 lb rifle a 270 will recoil with about 19 ft lbs recoil. Just a hair less than a 30-06.

Last edited by JMR40; 11/13/19.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And once again...in other words...anyone not shooting 1000 yards and operating in the real world where 1 inch of drop matters not a damn bit...same same and go find something better to wonder about.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 6.5C is shown pushing the best BC bullet available in 6.5C factory fodder.

Do the same (same pressure) with the .270W, and report findings. Downside is most .270W are not twisted appropriately.

No doubt, the 6.5C was designed correctly from the projectile to the platform.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The velocity of the 270 is more on par with the 6.5 PRC than a Creed at the muzzle using factory ammo. But as it was shown it don’t take long for the 147 to catch up due to it’s slickness. I really like the 147 and it’s done well for me. Haven’t killed with the 145 yet but showed a lot of promise out of a CA Ridgeline.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mjkchunt,

"Drop" is Physics,as cited. 50yds is still shy of 1000yds,if only to your Retardation. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Though you are welcome to "cite" the "platforms" you "shoot" which "enable" your DUMB Fhuqktitude. Hint.

Reduced recoil,reduced muzzle blast,reduced noise,reduced windage corrections,reduced cost,reduced rifle weight,reduced trajectory(hint),reduced drift(re-hint),assuredly do not hurt production. HINT.

BUT you "get" to add more money to the equation,to 'bask" in your STUPIDITY...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
And once again...in other words...anyone not shooting 1000 yards and operating in the real world where 1 inch of drop matters not a damn bit...same same and go find something better to wonder about.

What's the drift difference at 450 yards and a 20 mph wind?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Dunno. Its academic. I shoot deer at 300 or less yards. So we can talk about the space shuttles ballistic coefficient but my model airplane doesn't need the precision lol

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And big stick...take the cock from your lips before speaking and we could all understand you better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

What's the drift difference at 450 yards and a 20 mph wind?

According to Stick's data above 1/10 mil at 500 yards in a 10 MPH wind, so I'm guessing still 1/10 mil in a 20 MPH wind at 500.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
The 143/6.5 bullet has a sectional density of .293. The 145/270 bullet has a sectional density of .270. That means that the 6.5 will penetrate deeper in any game animal at any range assuming equal bullet construction. And since we are comparing the ELD-X in both calibers that is as close as you can get to an apples to apples comparison. Both will penetrate more than enough on deer size game, but if you start hunting larger game the extra penetration is something to consider. A 140 gr 6.5 will match a 180 gr 30 caliber for penetration.

The 270 will shoot flatter at any hunting range. At some point well beyond where hunters will be shooting the 6.5 may be shooting flatter. Both shoot flat enough to hit game animals out to 500 yards. The 270 only has a 1.5" advantage at 300 yards with a 200 yard zero.

The 145/270 has a 270 fps advantage at the muzzle over the 143/6.5 according to Hornady (2970 vs 2700). But nobody kills stuff at the muzzle. The farther you go down range the more the gap closes. By the time you get to 500 yards the 270 only has about 120 fps advantage. Once you get out to around 700 yards the 6.5 will pass the 270. In other words the calibers are close enough (6.8mm vs 6.5mm), the bullet weights are about the same and impact speeds are more than enough at close range with either, and at longer ranges the same or a slight edge to the 6.5. No animal will ever know the difference.

But.....

I will almost guarantee that 9 times out of 10 a 6.5CM will be more accurate than a 270.

In an 8 lb rifle a 6.5 will recoil with about 14 ft lbs of recoil. Not much more than a 243. In an 8 lb rifle a 270 will recoil with about 19 ft lbs recoil. Just a hair less than a 30-06.

God post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'boomer,

Halfa fhuqking foot.

Hint..............

mjkchunt,

There is zero need to reiterate yet again,that the ONLY thing you can bring first hand to a discussion about The Outdoors,are your Homoerotic Fanatasies. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint. LAUGHING!..............

'lucy1,

See the above. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Wind drift at a given distance,with a given projectile,at a given projectile's velocity,is in fact lineal in relation to atmospheric impetus...thus the reason for factoring all DOPE at 10MPH,to correct/quantify same.

Hint.......................

bsa,

Your STUPIDITY never disappoints,in it's MAGNIFICENT grandeur. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Though you do suck a mean ass...you "lucky" kchunt. The only thing you "shoot",is your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.