24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kotzebue has had refrigeration/freezer blues since forever......

I worked many an extra hour at Markair in Kotzebue in the 80 s, and the fish plants freezer or ice maker would quit and we’d get a slug to load into a few Herc’s worth of Salmon.
Then fishing went belly up for a lot of years and those freezers went unrepaierd, unused.
The money that could have been saved, and made .......the worst effect was that the WACH was at a peak 475,000 Caribou, with plenty for all, and non red could get 5 each, and they did, and came back again, untill they were restricted to 1 Caribou each, and Cabellas army stopped showing up by the jet load.

Arts and crafts sales plummeted and folks trying to make a summers worth of work into big money had to find other outlets for sales.
We used to make stuff and stop in Kotz on the way home and make twenty grand in 3 -4 days, and head upriver for our own meats.

There were two additional problems, one was that most locals had meat, and there was little opportunity to give any away, as well, inexperienced hunters having 5 animals on their hands was often overwhelming, so meat care wasn’t at its best and that, too made it hard to give away.
Around here, most carcasses are hung in the skin in the chilling fall, stored for later use in Winter, the skinned meats need further care and that’s when the clock starts ticking.

We don’t render Caribou fats, as they are lean, and the belly fats are sweet, so we save them for cooking. Besides, we have Seal oil, fish oils and Bear oil, each a condiment with a taste very different taste and in combo with different meats.

The fall Bulls eat very well, and a mature Bull picks and eats good moss, lichens and such with no mud or sticks, so we get the
Rumenets bag and boil it with contents inside, and that’s our “Bible” or to some, the book, as it’s a multi chamberd stomach that’s breaking cellulose down.
Good boiled with gut fat, toung, kidneys and liver as a first meal while the riguremortise leaves the meats of the carcass.

We make sausages from the innards, but they are delicate, we often use tougher seal intestines.

Education and a bit of competivness amongst fellow hunters usually have the young ones making better on mistakes, rumors of misuse or waste around someone usually gets chiding in a village and social pressure to do things right is overwhelming, but like any moral decisions, some [bleep] don’t have morals, no matter skin color.

Ona sad note, Minnie Grey was buried a couple weeks back.

Last edited by Caribou; 06/05/19.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Caribou,
Do you know Tony Henry, he went to the Kiana School in the late 70's..
I don't run into too many people from your area, just curious.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Do any of you remember Art LaHa? He was a bow hunter from Wisconsin who came to Alaska on hunts. He made a video about native hunting. There is a part in there where 10 boat (Umiak's) loads of hunters surrounded an ice flow with Walrus's on it. Each man fired several shots at them. The video was "No Land for the Timid". It had an interesting perspective on use of the resources. They only recovered one Walrus, That was the one that Art had shot with an arrow and line attached.

If there is anyone that would like copies of "No Land For The Timid" or any other of my fathers movies or books please contact Connie LaHa Ghiloni. I am the daughter of Art LaHa and his movies are copyrighted. I would be glad to sell you a copy if you would like. Please do not make un-approved copies of my fathers hard work. Thanks.. I can be reached at gwghiloniyahoo.com or 715-686-2223

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of it.(grin)

[Linked Image]

TRULY the pinnacle of Alaskan footage and congrats to you,for the connection. I've multiple copies in both VHS and DVD,all of which are on the level.

Glacier Bear,Polar Bear,Brownies,Caribou,Sheep,Moose(80+"),Wolves,Wolverines...the Northern gamut are all encompassed. Then there's the Seals,Walrus and Whales.(grin)

What an amazing compilation of magnificence.

Kudos..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chip, Thanks for your very informative post. Always like reading what you put on here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for posting Chip

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
Geez, what an a hole. I'm finally in AK and it will take a LOT for me to leave. But then I"m thankful that A holes don't stay here long.

Unfortunately, sometimes they do stay. Hell, I've been here for almost 30 years! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me thinks historically and by todays standards, there has been lots of "wanton waste" in rural Alaska by the Native population. Not all of it was intentional, a lack of quick transportation and refrigeration did not help. Over the last few years multiple reports of caribou slaughters have been reported and left to tribal courts to deal with. A white person is not treated the same.

History says over 30 million Bison were slaughtered over a 10 year period by hide hunters and the pickled tongues were shipped back East and the U.S. Govt. believed it would force Native Americans onto reservations. Pretty sick in my opinion. No one ever came up with a figure on how many Bison were killed by being run off of cliffs and ran off with an arrow in there body only to die a slow death. Lots of meat was left to rot due to no way to preserve it other then smoking and drying.

The white man committed many atrocities on the Native Americans. Native Americans committed many atrocities against other Native Americans. They murdered each other, raped each other, enslaved each other and tortured each other. They ran other tribes out of their "traditional" hunting grounds. If any one thinks the Sioux were the first ones in the Dakotas, Montana, etc. they don't know history. None of those tribes ever gave back any thing they took from a weaker tribe, weakness was not respected. Only the white man gave land back, gave money, gave hospitals, housing, etc.

Alaska's villages are not a Shangri-La. Murders, rapes, incest, domestic violence, alcohol and drug abuse are the norm.

I have been in Alaska for 54 years and my Native Alaskan wife of 43 yeas was born here. We love this place and it's people of all races. We both believe every one should be treated the same and that Alaska is much better off because the U.S. bought the place from Russia. Picture Alaska and the native population if Russia still owned the place.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Excellent post, with each paragraph providing truths that need to be remembered.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

But then on fish, if we filet, aren't we wasting too?

Ha! Soon after I got married my wife sent my Japanese MIL pics of a cooler packed full of filets I'd brought home and indicated to her that it was cod, her mom's favorite fish to cook and eat. She wrote back to Mrs. KG, "Oh, how nice that your husband brings back such things fresh from the ocean. But... where are all the heads? That's the very best part of the fish. And was there any roe? If so, surely he didn't just toss it in the ocean. He is half Japanese, isn't he?"

wink

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by las
I had $ 800 stolen by a white guy in Anchorage... so I try to stay out of it as much as possible.

But Anchorage isn't Alaska.

Assuming sweet old Hubert is of the caucasian persuasion, the devil in me wishes that the blokes that beat him for his 8 bills were white also. Then he'd have been in a real pickle. Forced to live in east L.A. or Harlem or something, else every time he saw a white dude he'd damn near blow a gasket... wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

But then on fish, if we filet, aren't we wasting too?

Ha! Soon after I got married my wife sent my Japanese MIL pics of a cooler packed full of filets I'd brought home and indicated to her that it was cod, her mom's favorite fish to cook and eat. She wrote back to Mrs. KG, "Oh, how nice that your husband brings back such things fresh from the ocean. But... where are all the heads? That's the very best part of the fish. And was there any roe? If so, surely he didn't just toss it in the ocean. He is half Japanese, isn't he?"

wink

Was on a charter the other day, the clients asked if I fished after work, yes of course, sometimes. What is my favorite fish. They may have meant locally or in AK, but the answer is yellow or flathead catfish big enough to where I can get cheek meat off the cheeks.

Cod is VERY good though. Lots of fish are really good

Best to you, the Mrs, and the "kids"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ha! 'A flathead *what*?' wink Back atcha', my man. You're a bit farther away than you were in TX but that's OK, planes fly to AK too. One of these days we'll meet up and make some memories, I'm sure, out there or over here. I still owe you. Your generous gift of .223 hunting loads for my M4 are still unfired, but they will be put to good use for sure. Best to you and your lady as well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We will cross sooner or later! So much non heat and humidity here, No politics basically in this job. It was well worth the wife insisting that I quit my other job before I'd managed full retirement.

Makes money issues much harder, but life much softer.

Best to you and yours as always.

And I chuckle to think of Roger sweating for a few more months...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So how did chip make out after his snowmobile crash?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No matter how close you fillet a fish, there is flesh left on.. On well filleted Reds, 2 carcasses of said will yield a meal for one (and I like a lot of fish-flesh!)

Depending on the yield of effort, I mostly save mine and BBQ the backbones. But 20-30 tends to be a bit much, and there are not all that many people I care to have over.

Somehow giving boney carcasses away doesn't seem to go over all that well....atleast among us whiteys.

As to "Native Waste"- some do, some don't. I can cite examples of each- tho the "do" tend to stick in mind more.

Wste is more prevalent among the young studs(and anti-white's) as is , say, running caribou down with 100mph snowmachines, vs stategic methods, and actual "hunting".. I've killed a chitload of caribou from (or near) my snowmachine, and never run one. It can be done.

I've spent 15 of the last 40 years in various remote villages- Pt. Hope, Barrow, Galena, and 8 in Kotzebue. There is much to admire in the Native culture, and much which goes against my cultural norms. Technology has in places overwhelmed ethics, but they are learning.

Enforcement in remote areas is nominal, at best, so it boils down to cultural values, and personal ethics, which need to be adjusted according to technological advances. There is a lag factor here.

The young tend to think the old folks don't know chit.... or they just don't care. And with enforcement thin on the ground, this can be a problem.

Last edited by las; 11/13/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.