Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14275443 11/12/19
B
bikehe Offline OP
OP Offline
B
First post here so not to be rude I'll say hi to the good folks here and appreciate being on board.
I've just bought a pulsar thermion xm38 and need to switch it between a 30/30, 223 and 7mm RM. I'm going to purchase a set of warne maxima QD's for the thermal but with all the high end QD manufacturers saying the mounts are return to zero, then what's the difference with a good quality set of fixed and just re-torque them to get a return to zero. Surely fixed are no less a return to zero than QD's aren't they? My bolts with scopes have nightforce and Warne steel picatinny rails with 6 screw rings and all torqued as per manufacturer specs. So if I re-torque them after taking the thermal off why shouldn't they return to zero like a QD or do I have to buy QD's for every scope I wish to remount on a hunt. What makes the QD's design return to zero so special . I don't mind taking the required tools to do a swap as required The cost would be out of my budget. Thx in advance for any info or advice.

Last edited by bikehe; 11/12/19.
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am not sure what you are asking. If you are taking a scope off of a rifle and then returning it to the same rifle I don't think QD rings are any better at return to zero as fixed rings torqued properly, assuming they are place at the same location on the base/rail.

Now you mention moving the Pulsar from one rifle to another. If you do that the zero will be different on each rifle and therefore the Pulsar or scope will need to be re-zeroed.

I guess what I am saying is if you plan to move a device from one firearm to another and it still be zeroed then you are mistaken, or maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was young and poor, I had three center-fire rifles, but only one reliable scope. I used a set of QD rings on my one reliable scope and moved it around when it needed to be on a different rifle. As VaHunter noted, the scope has to be re-ze-zeroed when it is moved to another rifle.

I have two rifles that now wear Warne QD rings, but only because the rifles on which I use them have iron sights which I sometimes prefer for some applications. Using a Wheeler Fat Wrench to torque the scope mounts to their original settings, the scopes of both rifles will be close enough to zero for hunting purposes when remounted on the rifle from which they were removed.

Nonetheless, I always check with one to three shots from a bench or other solid rest.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
bikehe Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanyou for your replies. My apologies to you both for not explaining my situation correctly. The original daytime scopes that are on each rifle are married to them. Only time they are removed is when the thermal is needed on either of them. VaHunter yes Sir you are right about the POI changing if the thermal is moved from one caliber to the next. Great thing I like about the pulsar is the ability to save the co-ordinates for each rifle it is mounted on for a zero. I suppose I'll just get A QD for the thermal. I'll leave the rings attached to the other scopes then place the scope back to the exact position on the picatinny and re-torque them up and do a one shot test. That should verify if the POI is the same. So is it fair to say that good quality rings if installed back in the same place and re-torque the same are of equal to QD's in that they should both return to zero. I was thinking that I had to buy QD rings for every scope because of the statement of " return to zero" associated with QD mounts. Actually the Warne QD mounts arent that much different to the rings already on the day scopes except for a lever to tension them up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only difference between most rings that fit weaver style rails is the clamping system(leaving out the vertically split rings). QD's just have a finger lever to tighten them and others have screws slot or nuts. I used to pack a pre sighted Weaver K-3 in QD rings in my pack incase something happened to my mounted scope, I could slap on the spare scope and keep hunting no need for a trip to the range.

So yes if you know the adjustment changes for each rifle you should be able to go back and forth between them. You will have to have bases that have EXACTLY the same slot spacing so you don't have to loosen rings each time.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have removed and re-attached decent rings from weaver and picatinney rails for years, and never had any appreciable change in zero on the original gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bikehe
Surely fixed are no less a return to zero than QD's aren't they?

If you're talking Talley rings & bases, both fixed & Q.D. will return to zero every time.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
bikehe Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I have removed and re-attached decent rings from weaver and picatinney rails for years, and never had any appreciable change in zero on the original gun.

That'll do me. I'll grab some top quality 6 screw ring fixed mounts. I'll carry my torque wrench.

B
bikehe Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by bikehe
Surely fixed are no less a return to zero than QD's aren't they?

If you're talking Talley rings & bases, both fixed & Q.D. will return to zero every time.

That's what I was thinking. I'll try fixed out and do some real world testing. I don't think I'll be at a disadvantage in terms of return to zero with a good fixed mount as opposed to a QD style. Thanks for all your replies in helping me make a decision.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have gradually been changing over all my rifles from fixed rings to rail/QD ring combinations and I use Warne Maxima QD rings. I have not noticed an appreciable shift in zero in removing a scope and reinstalling it on the same rifle; even multiple times. Good luck.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.