Print Thread
Hop To
K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't have an m1 carbine, been wanting one, trying to learn what I can about them before a purchase. Don't want to get hosed of course. Ran across one locally, Underwood receiver, barrel '43, underwood marked trigger assembly, I imagine I'll need to request to take it apart to verify other parts. Has the 2nd series rear sight, push button safety, bayonet lug, and a PJ stock which I understand is a wartime replacement. They are asking 1200, I haven't tried to "deal" with them yet. What else do I need to look for, what is a fair price? I know I don't have pics but it seems to be in honest shape, not beat up, not new of course but nothing that worries me. Thanks.

Last edited by killerv; 11/08/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an Underwood. It's a good rifle. The op rod used to rattle pretty bad till I sent it, the op rod, to Columbus Machine. I'm no expert on current values and I might be wrong but I think $1200's on the high side for an Underwood. Underwood's aren't considered that rare. If it was a Rock Ola, Saginaw Machine or Winchester maybe.

It's my understanding these are all pretty much parts guns as there were a lot of war time mfgs. making various parts for M-1 Carbines as well as armory refittings after the war. Mine has a Springfield barrel that was installed in 1952 during the Korean War.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Push button safety is first issue. As is 2 rivet handguard. If the bore is excellent, with no rings o,r bulges it may be worth $1200 in todays market. Gone are the days of the DCM $20 carbines- We got ours, a Rockola, then. Have fun! Mel

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
GI M1s without the M2 bayonet lug have gotten crazy valuable

GOD Bless America
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
It's my understanding these are all pretty much parts guns as there were a lot of war time mfgs. making various parts for M-1 Carbines as well as armory refittings after the war.

That right there. It's a rare (and valuable) rifle that hasn't gone through at least one arsenal or field rebuild. It's a hobby of some people to swap parts to try to get a "correct" rifle, but it's still a long way from "as issued". Most are a conglomeration of parts but that's okay. If it functions fine they're a hellofalot of fun to shoot. I think the Underwood you're looking at is a bit overpriced as described. My LGS had a couple during the summer that went for <$1K

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

K
killerv Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
thanks, I also noticed the trigger and safety are black, not close to the same finish of the rest of the parts. I'm assuming probably replacements, I know Underwood marked their triggers but I'd have to tear it down to find out. You'd think since it has the bayonet lug on it they would have swapped the safety out to the later one during a rebuild. There is also a small crack behind the recoil plate. I've watched a few recently on GB and I also think 1200 is too high. I also noticed there is an O stamped where the P should be on the bottom of the pistol grip but I can't find too much about that. Thanks for the responses, info.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have been a carbine whore for a long time. To really do it right, you need a couple of reference books and ability to tear the gun down right to the springs.
the safety is early, while the lug/barrel band came later, and you would think they would have replaced the safety.
if those small parts are black, thats another indication.
Having said that, i have ran across a few through the years that were 100% original, not parts guns.
One it took me all day and a couple of reference books to really understand what i was looking at.
People gravitate to the winchester because of the name, but there were other ones that are a lot more valuable.
I don't think i have seen any in this area for sale less than 800bucks or so.
of the 7 million or so made, i have read guesstimates only maybe a million left world wide. They were popular all over the world, and used hard. One thing i would do is guage the muzzle, and see how shot out it is.
if you can find one, cmp was selling a few years ago the "fat" carbines from italy, and the "german" guns from germany.
at the end of the war we had disarmed germany, patton rearmed them with carbines from the 3rd army. they were stamped with which department of the german govt. had them, such as forestry, etc.
the atvantage of them is the germans took care of them, and pretty much the same condition as at the end of WWII.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/11/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was looking at a "howa" carbine this weekend. Made by howa in japan based on a inland after the war for the govt of thailand.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Depending on the markings on the rest of the parts, $1200 might be the value of the gun parted out. As a whole, I would expect it to sell for under $1000 due to the seeming mishmash of parts. An all original Underwood would price greater than $1200 if there was documentation so a refurbished parts gun with possibly slight premium for the Underwood name would be its overall value.

M1 carbines are one of those instances where the sum of the whole can be less than the sum of its parts depending on the parts. Underwood produced less than 10% of all M1 carbines so there is some value there regarding parts. The more parts marked Underwood, the greater the potential value to those trying to restore their carbine to original condition.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The, "small crack behind the recoil plate" would be a deal breaker for me. If you plan on doing some shooting it could turn into a considerable problem.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got the $19.95 DCM carbine that my father purchased back around 1963-64 time frame. It's an Underwood, marked 12-43 on barrel. Appears to be all original, and is a decent shooter. The only thing wrong with it, is that my father refinished the wood stock. But, the sentimental value is such that I could care less about what it's monetary value is.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing i should have mentioned, there were ten separate manufacturers, and in the need to put out rifles, a certain amount of sharing of componets. some just assembled the guns rather than manufacturing them. thus you might run across one of them with a variety of parts in it, that that's the way it's suppose to be.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/16/19.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a Howa too from a friend. It has the Thai marking, a different rear sight but dosen't say Howa or Japan on it. I think i only need 2 or 3 more to complete the 10 manufacturers. The aftermarket Universal doesnt count but i have one anyway. Mel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
130 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 17 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.