Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am a long time bow hunter. However I am recovering from a neck surgery and cannot draw a bow for several months. What are your recommendations for a crossbow that I should buy.

GoTigersGo
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
ex caliber

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Mission ( Made by Mathews) I am very happy with.Mission has a new model which is shorter in length and a wider broadhead window which I really like just can't justify the $1,500 price tag. Really not familiar with other X-bow manufacturers.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ravin the R-10`s are on sale this fall,its last year`s model

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Super happy with my CamX Crossbow would replace it with another if something happened to it tomorrow.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ravin

I have the R26 after tearing my rotator cuff. Loving it.

Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the help

GoTigersGo
Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all of the help

GoTigersGo
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you can't draw your bow, you'll likely have trouble cocking a crossbow without a crank. My Excalibur takes 130lbs without a crank, 12 with. Try before you buy. It' a significant investment.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Excalibur fan here. Have a 20+ yr old model that's never given me a problem. Just bought one of the new Micro Axe 340's to have a narrower more compact xbow and am impressed so far but it's much tougher to cock than my old long limbed Exocet. I will say that whatever make and model you decide on, get a crank cocking devise for it. If you're not able to draw a compound bow due to your surgery, cocking one of these high poundage crossbows with a rope type cocker will be hard. Most makers offer an add on crank and some have one built in to the system. Years ago I bought my father a Ten Point with a built in crank and he used it to take a few deer, the last one when he was 91 yrs old!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Lacy1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am definitely getting a crank

GoTigersGo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I love my Mission Sniper Lite. It's so smooth I can draw it without a cocking rope. It's not as fast as some others but it is quiet to me for a crossbow.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Plus the Mission has lifetime warranty on limbs.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an Excalibur Axiom. Very accurate and simple to use, and I love the fact that I can de-cock it without firing it. A friend of mine had the limbs on his Wicked Ridge blow up in the back seat of his truck when he left it cocked for a couple days.

The only negative with mine is the width which is sometimes an issue in tight quarters. I would look at the Micro models if considering an Excalibur.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ravin crossbows have a built in wind-up system that works super for loading and unloading the bolt/arrow. i tried many x-bows because of my bad sugery rebuilt shoulders and for the money,accuracy and ease of operation the Ravin x-bow seemed the best to me,tell i heal up again.

Last edited by pete53; 12/22/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I recently went thru this same search.I ended up with a Ten Point Invader X4 as it is the narrowest one I found when cocked for the money .It also weighs only 6.3 pounds and comes with the crank cocker. These retail for about $599.I got mine at Scheels for $499.The $1000+ only gives you more bells and whistles. If this is a short time deal stick with the $500 ones.Look on Ebay.A lot of used ones for sale

The Accudraw 50 is a rope pull type cocker that takes about 1/2 the force of a crossbow's draw weight to cock it.The Accudraw is crank type cocker and takes about 12 pounds to cock it. Plan to spend about $250 for accessories, like bolts, target points, broad heads, target, string wax, rail lube, case. The difference in price between a xbow with a rope cocker and a crank cocker is about $100

I had my rt shoulder replaced in 2018 and drawing conventional bow is not possible. Colorado P&W gave me a life time permit to use a crossbow in regular archery season.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/22/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have two older models Excaliburs (Ibex and Vortex) with the wide limbs. To be honest, I prefer the wider limbs, as while hunting they are wide enough that I can set the bow cocked and it sets perfectly horizontal on the shooting rail of my treestand, leaving me hands free. When getting ready to shoot, it is minimal movement to swing the bow to my shoulder and be dead steady on the rail. I cover the rails with old hose sliced and then taped over the metal rail. Super quiet.

I find the old wide limbs easier to cock than the newer micro models too. And they're a bargain when you find one used as opposed to new.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
what Saddlesore said I have killed a bunch of stuff with mine. These guys that shout Raven this Raven that ask them what they actually own. One in 50 owns a Raven because of the cost an you get nothing more out of it as far as killing goes just bells and whistles.

Last edited by Hectortwsp; 12/23/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve never visited this forum before but my wife surprised me with a Raven R26 today ( we have a friend with one and she knew I wanted it). I haven’t owned or shot any kind of bow in over 30 years. I’m looking forward to learning a lot from you guys here.

Just curious about something - which states allow crossbows for archery season? I’m lucky to live in Wyoming where we can.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by McInnis
I’ve never visited this forum before but my wife surprised me with a Raven R26 today ( we have a friend with one and she knew I wanted it). I haven’t owned or shot any kind of bow in over 30 years. I’m looking forward to learning a lot from you guys here.

Just curious about something - which states allow crossbows for archery season? I’m lucky to live in Wyoming where we can.

Colorado only permits cross bows in archery season with a disability permit.That can be temporary or life time. scopes must be no more than 1x .Red dots are legal. Crossbows are legal in all rifle seasons.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/24/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
814 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.