Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If you happen to own a Lipsey’s Ruger Hawkey African in 9.3x62, please share your experiences and thoughts, good/bad, and good loads. I’ve posed this on some other sights with no response. I’m interested in this rifle, but concerned that the light “A” contour barrel might have been a mistake. Please share. Thanks in advance

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have a couple friends with that rifle and they report good results. I have the same thing in .275 Rigby and it is an absolutely excellent shooter. Does sub moa with a number of loads, and I was whacking an 8" gong at 400 yard range with it yesterday. Pretty basic 3x9 scope. Also I havent touched ,no trigger work, bedding etc. Straight out of the box.I can honestly and easily say I like it more than any factory rifle Ive ever owned.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you. Could you ask your friends with the 9.3x62 versions to come on here and comment? Thanks

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought two of these rifles when they came out. I have only shot one of them. I have not shot it a lot, but I shot it with the open sights at 50 yards before I mounted a scope. It shot a 1" 2-shot group one inch below the bullseye, with PPU 285 gr. soft point. I then switched to Norma 285 gr. Oryx, and it shot a 2" 4-shot group that averaged 2" high right above the bullseye. I was pleased with these two groups for open sights. They seemed well regulated.

I then mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 scope on the rifle. Initially, it shot a 4-shot 1" group, that was 4" high, 12:00 @ 100 yds with the PPU ammo. I then again switched to Norma 285 gr. Oryx. The first three bullets repeated the PPU group. I adjusted the scope down 8 clicks, and it shot a 1/4" 2-shot group, 1.5 inches above the bullseye. I stopped there, and have not shot the rifle since, as I figured the scope was 'on'.

This is not a lot of shooting, so may not be of much help, but better than what you have received so far I guess!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
surefire7,

Would be interested to know what the muzzle diameter is on your rifle?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hi John,

If I can find my caliper somewhere around here, I'll measure that for you.

It is the Lipsey's model with the thin barrel. I also own two of the previous Ruger 9.3 x62 Africans made a few years back, and those barrels are definitely thicker than these Lipsey models. My Lipsey model weighs a hair under 7 lbs.

Surefire7

Last edited by surefire7; 11/11/19.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Surefire. The contour looks identical to the 7x57, and 6.5x55 from the previous two Lipsey’s Africans.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It would have been nice if the Lipsey's/Ruger 9.3x62 had been available when I was building one. Looks like a very nice rifle.

Retired cat herder.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have a couple friends with that rifle and they report good results. I have the same thing in .275 Rigby and it is an absolutely excellent shooter. Does sub moa with a number of loads, and I was whacking an 8" gong at 400 yard range with it yesterday. Pretty basic 3x9 scope. Also I havent touched ,no trigger work, bedding etc. Straight out of the box.I can honestly and easily say I like it more than any factory rifle Ive ever owned.

Nice rifle. Great candidate for an "if I could have just one rifle" argument. Are you bringing it to the Campfire pig-slaying event next March?
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/11/19.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by ingwe

Nice rifle. Great candidate for an "if I could have just one rifle" argument. Are you bringing it to the Campfire pig-slaying event next March?
Bob

Thanks Bob, but no....I won't be at the pig hunt this year...my "off" schedule is a week earlier, so I'll be down there hunting pigs someplace, but not with that rifle...you knowI gotta do some 'stunt shooting' and that gun is simply too big for pigs. laugh

and FWIW it IS my only rifle over .22 cal...

Last edited by ingwe; 11/12/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ColoradoMatt
Thanks Surefire. The contour looks identical to the 7x57, and 6.5x55 from the previous two Lipsey’s Africans.

You're welcome ColoradoMatt!

By the way, I weighed my rifle again this morning, as I have never weighed it after I mounted the scope. With the Ruger supplied rings, and a Leupold 2.5-8 scope, it weighed about 8lbs, 4oz. This is the Lipsey's model.

And yes, the barrel contour looks like the 275 Rigby and the 6.5x55 Swede previous models.

I really love these Lipsey's Ruger African models: weight, balance & lop are perfect for my height/arm length. I am 5'7" and weigh 160lbs. YMMV.

Last edited by surefire7; 11/12/19. Reason: add data
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well, I bit the bullet, despite my concerns, and picked one up in 9.3x62. I’m 6’1”, maybe closer to 6’ these days. Connecticut Shotgun has Silvers Red rubber pads on sale for $50, So I’m going to get one. I want to mount an NECG rear aperture sight on this one, and a little more length will help the sights line up for me. I will work up the best traditional 9.3x62 load that I can with a 4x scope, then switch to the peep and call it good. Maybe one day I’ll run across the 7x57 for a sane price. I’ll scope that one. Thanks again to all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know what you have planned for it, but it would make a great Buffalo ( Cape) rifle....set up the way you described.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would still like to hear from somebody who's measured the muzzle diameter.

Why? The muzzle of my CZ 550, which I've owned since 2002, measures .605", which is considered by some as pretty skinny for a medium-bore barrel 23.6" (60cm) long. Yet it has always shot REALLY well, whether in the original clubby factory stock or the much slimmer Serengeti Rifles custom stock made five years later. Believe I have yet to try a handload that didn't shoot inside an inch for three shots at 100 yards, with many doing much better. Which, in my experience with a number of 9.3x62s, is basically how they shoot--which is of course is far better accuracy than needed for just about any use imaginable for the cartridge

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I had two of the earlier Ruger 9.3s and found the guns muzzle heavy for my taste. The only 9.3X62 I have presently is a trim and well balanced Husqvarna 640 on a commercial FN action. I think a lighter and better balanced Ruger with QD mounts and a ghost ring rear sight, also, would be a great set up.

I've had seven 9.3X62s, including the present Husqvarna, and all shot tight groups. None were in the least finicky. I can't imagine the new trimmer Ruger would be otherwise.

Also...We want pictures!!! wink wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB...if I get into the LGS I'll measure one for you...and I'll probably be in there soon...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I also have this rifle in 275 Rigby and have been eyeing one of the 9.3x62's at the LGS. It definitely has a lighter barrel contour than my earler Ruger African in 9.3x62. I'm considering letting my current African and CZ 550 9.3x62's go to get this newer African.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Why? The muzzle of my CZ 550, which I've owned since 2002, measures .605", which is considered by some as pretty skinny for a medium-bore barrel 23.6" (60cm) long. Yet it has always shot REALLY well, whether in the original clubby factory stock or the much slimmer Serengeti Rifles custom stock made five years later. Believe I have yet to try a handload that didn't shoot inside an inch for three shots at 100 yards, with many doing much better. Which, in my experience with a number of 9.3x62s, is basically how they shoot--which is of course is far better accuracy than needed for just about any use imaginable for the cartridge

My calipers are boxed up from a move, but a tape measure read right at 9/16 or 0.5625”. I don’t think the muzzle diameter is all that much of a factor compared to how thin these barrels are overall. The description at the end of the box says “24” A”, which I take to mean the same contour found on the 24” No.1-As. I own an original 1939 Oberndorf Type A in 9.3x62 and a take off barrel from the same, both having muzzle diameters of .588-590” (23.6”). Both barrels are quite heavy in the rear, step down after the sight base, then taper to the end. The Ruger barrel looks elegant, like an old long barreled 275 Rigby or 350 Rigby. I hope mine shoots as good as it looks. I may try working up your now famous Nosler Partition load, but I suspect standard velocities may be in order for this one. My rifle’s stock must be quite heavy, compared to others, as my kitchen scale reads 7lbs 10oz. This a good thing!

Last edited by ColoradoMatt; 11/13/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't have a Ruger, but just recently got a 9.3x62 Zastava. It weighs 7lb 9oz on my fish scale and the 22" barrel is only 0.568" at the muzzle. I haven't shot it yet as waiting on delivery of dies, brass, & bullets....

"There'll be no quitters till we bag some critters."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I just looked at some 9.3x62 load data and the cartridge uses many of the same powders as the easy to get along with 308 Winchester. I suspect a bullet weight / bore size /case capacity mix that thrives on "Varget class" powders contributes to the friendly nature of whichever cartridge lands there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.