-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was advised yesterday that anthrax has wiped out 50 to 75% of the heard in Sutton County, Texas.

Couple of questions:
1. Ever heard of that happening? It was news to me.

2. How easy is it to catch anthrax from a deer, deer hide, etc while gutting and quartering? I'm immune suppressed due to a transplant. Anthrax would be fatal for me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sonora area has had that happen before. Not sure of the dates, but it's been awhile.

Anthrax can live in nature, dormant for many, many years before rearing it's head again.

Never heard of a human dying from contracting it that way though.

When there are too many deer, nature finds a way.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found this, and it doesn't quite sound as dire as the percentage you mentioned.

http://tscra.org/texas-anthrax-update-july-16-2019/

There's links in the story to more info.

Texas anthrax update, July 16, 2019

Source: Texas Animal Health Commission | July 16, 2019

Since July 9, 2019, anthrax has been detected on 3 additional properties in southwest Sutton County and 1 site in south-central Crockett County. The Texas Animal Health Commission quarantined the premises after animals tested positive for the reportable disease.

To date, 8 premises in 3 Texas counties have had animals confirmed with anthrax. Animals include the following species: antelope, goat, horses, and cattle. Producers have been advised on vaccinating exposed animals and instructed on the proper disposal of affected carcasses, as outlined by TAHC’s rules. Anthrax quarantines are typically lifted 10 days from vaccination or the last death loss.

It is common to see an increase in anthrax cases after periods of wet, cool weather, followed by hot, dry conditions. During these conditions, animals ingest the anthrax bacteria when they consume contaminated grass and hay, or inhale the spores. Outbreaks usually end when cooler weather arrives.

There is an effective anthrax vaccine available for use in susceptible livestock, including but not limited to, swine, equine, sheep, goats, cattle, etc. TAHC encourages livestock owners to consult with a local veterinary practitioner and consider vaccinating livestock if owners live within the triangular area bound by the towns of Uvalde, Ozona and Eagle Pass. Producers may order anthrax vaccines directly from the manufacturer.

After exposure to anthrax, it usually takes 3 to 7 days for animals to show symptoms. Once symptoms begin, death will usually occur within 48 hours. Acute fever followed by rapid death with bleeding from body openings are all common signs of anthrax in livestock. Owners of livestock and animals displaying symptoms consistent with anthrax or experiencing death of animals should contact a private veterinary practitioner or a TAHC official.

Producers are encouraged to follow basic sanitation precautions when handling affected livestock or carcasses. It is recommended to wear protective gloves, long sleeve shirts and to wash thoroughly afterward to prevent accidental spread of the bacteria to people. For more information on how anthrax affects humans please visit https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/anthrax/information/faqs/.

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides benefits to eligible livestock owners for livestock deaths caused by eligible loss conditions. Anthrax is identified as an eligible disease. For more information about the LIP program visit https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USD...vestock_indemnity_program-fact_sheet.pdf or call your local Farm Service Agency office.

For more information about Anthrax, visit http://www.tahc.texas.gov/news/brochures/TAHCBrochure_Anthrax.pdf.

Past 2019 Anthrax Situational Updates:

July 9, 2019 Update: https://www.tahc.texas.gov/news/2019/2019-07-09_AnthraxUpdate.pdf
June 21, 2019 Initial Case: https://www.tahc.texas.gov/news/2019/2019-06-21_Anthrax.pdf.

TAHC will continue to issue weekly updates as long as new cases are confirmed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You should probably skip it this year.

__________________________________________________________________________-

Although it is rare in the United States, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. Contact with anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.

Link to CDC.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Was advised yesterday that anthrax has wiped out 50 to 75% of the heard in Sutton County, Texas.

Couple of questions:

2. How easy is it to catch anthrax from a deer, deer hide, etc while gutting and quartering? I'm immune suppressed due to a transplant. Anthrax would be fatal for me.

I hadn't herd that. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Although it is rare in the United States, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. Contact with anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.

Link to CDC.

That's what the wife is saying, too. I want to shoot an Audad dad gummit!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Couple of questions:

I hadn't herd that. wink

HA!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by slumlord; 11/13/19. Reason: Fuggit go for it
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Couple of questions:

I hadn't herd that. wink

HA!

You know, I guess I could go down in your place just to get you some venison, you know. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Link to CDC.

That's what the wife is saying, too. I want to shoot an Audad dad gummit!

Lol, When was the last time Wifey was wrong?

Careful.........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Couple of questions:

I hadn't herd that. wink

HA!

You know, I guess I could go down in your place just to get you some venison, you know. smile

I’ll volunteer to go help out Jag. After all, a Doc & a former Willdlife Biologist ..... What could possibly go wrong 😜

Seriously though, if you don’t go down there an lick the ground, or some dead animal bones, you’ll be fine. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Several ranches had over 90% loss of their deer herds. It's being said that it was the worst outbreak since the 50's in some areas.

The article above mainly pertains to domestic animals.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think it's over but entire areas were decimated. I know a couple of people that went from seeing large numbers of deer to 0. They aren't even hunting this year. Whatever is left needs to live. They said it's the worst they have seen. I think it was concentrated to certain areas so you may be ok. I came across this. Here's some first hand accounts:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737352&highlight=anthrax

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.