Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
First off, just a little background on me, take it for what you will. I'm a varmint hunter and avid recreational shooter who spends nearly more time afield than not. Fortunate circumstances and prime location, allow me to shoot quite a lot. I'm in my mid 30's and have been shooting since age 4. I haven't had a "real job" for the past 5 years and I live 8 miles from a 400 yard shooting range. I only state this to say that I've been around a few rifles in my life, hundreds. I have owned and put to use over 30 different makes/models of scopes. Most of which have been 1" tubed scopes. More recently I've been "playing with" 30mm and 34mm tubed rifle scopes. I'm an accuracy nut and have been reloading since age 14. However, I haven't loaded much .223 recently due to the price of Fiocchi 40 and 50 grain V max loads. I basically can't reload for the price i'm buying the Fiocchi, so have been shooting a bunch of Fiocchi Factory loads the past two years.

With that aside.......

If you don't care about "Glass Quality", you probably won't care much about this "review" of my first shots with the Steiner. Just get a SWFA and move on.

However, If you are somebody who values quality glass, then keep reading. You may or may not find some value from my drivel.

Scope arrived this morning from Camera Land. Thanks Guys!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Got it mounted up in UTG Rings (USA Made). Rings are a bit higher than I would like, but worked with them for now. Rail is a Leupold 0 MOA rail. No loctite on anything except the Leupold base screws.....torqued to 25 inch/lbs. UTG ring base screw, 55 inch/lbs. UTG ring top screws........18 inch/lbs.

The rifle is a Kimber Longmaster Classic in 223 that only has exactly 526 rounds through it, (I have 3 of these identical models all in .223). It typically shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups with the 50gr Factory Fiocchi V max load.

Conditions were dreary and it rained a good portion of the day. It rained while I shot and the wind was a bit persnickety. A few breaks in the conditions allowed for "decent" shooting conditions. Left-Right wind between 3-5 MPH reared it's head for some of my shooting. For perspective, a 4 MPH 90degree L-R wind at 100 yds moves 1/10 MIL........( .36 inch).

The GLASS in the scope is VERY NICE. More on that in a bit. I first wanted to make sure everything seemed to function correctly. Parallax adjustment was smooth and accurate. Power Ring is smooth. Elevation Turret is NICE, marks line up perfectly and the zero stop is super easy to work. Two 2.0mm allen screws loosened 1/2 turn are all that is required to reset the scope to zero. The manual that comes with the scope is very easy to understand and even has pictures.

MORE TO COME>>>>>>>

Last edited by screaminweasil; 10/18/19.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I setup at the 100 yard range; elk hunters were hoggin the 400 yd range and I'm "anti social." After my lousy bore site........It took one adjustment of 1.2 Mils Left and had to come up 1.9 Mils for zero. Measuring with the excellent SCR Reticle made the site in quick and painless. The scope moved perfectly. Next shots were 1/10 Mil to the right, but elevation was money. I left it there as the wind was blowing at that time....approx 4 MPH Left to Right, which with this load moves .36" or 1/10 Mil.

After quickly setting the zero stop, I shot one initial shot at the bottom right portion of the target. I kept my point of aim at the bottom right and alternated between ZERO and 2.5 Mils of Elevation ......or 9" of movement.
FYI, 2.5 Mils come up puts me on at 538 Yards. I basically ended up with two "3 shot groups" on each target, with a called high flier on shot #5 as labeled in the picture.....so I shot #7 to "redeem" myself. The movement of the scope measures as close to 9" as I'm able to tell. So, tracking seems spot on so far.

Despite rainy conditions, and being stuck at 100 yards, I wanted to crank the elevation knob a bunch. So, I just went back and forth up and down from Zero to 17.2 Mils (total elevation I get with my 0 MOA rail). After 30 up and downs from Zero to 17.2 Mils.

I decided to shoot another target that is a bit taller, inputing 4.2 Mils on the elevation knob and back to zero between each shots. 4.2 Mils with this load gets me to 689 yards. It was variable windy, and NO, I didn't let the barrel cool at all for 20 rounds. There was probably 30 seconds between each shot. Not stopping until all 20 rounds were fired. Here are the results........

Yep.........theres 10 shots there at each target pasty.....

THE MASKING tape was covering 30 cal holes from a different day(Or, all my fliers, but really 30 cal holes from my 7.62 commie the other day).

Not bad for a Kimber and Factory loads. Surprised me actually because these are the first 10 shot groups I've EVER shot. And, I was dialing between every shot, in variable left to right wind, as you can see the horizontal variation. Anybody who has shot as much lightweight 223 in any kind of wind as I have knows it has an effect at 100 yds. Or, just look at a ballistic chart.

Ok, so now that I feel comfortable there is not anything glaringly wrong with this scope. How is the GLASS?? And, NO this isn't all the testing I'm going to do. However, this scope has been proven by others who have ran it through it's paces. I was confident in this model to begin with, or I wouldn't have purchased it. This ONE scope, seems OK so far. But, it's only got 50 rounds through it.

I shot a 1.5 Mil "box test" and it was Perfect.............not that a 1.5 Mil "box test" is worth anything. So I won't waste bandwith with pics of that.

How is the Glass, you ask?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Before mounting it at home I directly compared it to a Meopro 4.5-14x44 which is an amazing 1" tubed scope for the money. Viewing street signs from 40 yards to 300 yards, It was very evident the Steiner has better glass in all regards. Viewing the hillside behind my house at a range of 1,028 Yards, the Steiner was very clear and even though the max power is 16x, it was very easy to pick out details in the cheat grass/rimrocks and red bushes. Contrast in this scope is very good, as is the resolution.

Back at the RANGE:

You can never evaluate glass without having a direct comparison. So, I had my Howa Alpine with LRTS 3-12 Bushnell Elite Tactical at the range as well. I can tell you the Steiner is a noticeable bit more clear. Particularly on the edge to edge clarity. Both scopes seemed close to the same brightness when the sun came out. However, in the rain and dark cloud cover, the Steiner was more "bright". Not by much, but I could see the difference. Not exactly fair due to 44mm vs 56mm objectives, but is what it is. What stood out the most was the depth of field, color pop, and contrast the Steiner has. It was very nice to look through, the eye box is amazing. Eye relief is great and very easy to "get behind", even with my Not so optimal ring height. Scope was crystal clear to my eyes. Really just looks like your looking with your naked eye, just closer. Reticle focus was easy and I never had to mess with it after initial setup of the fast focus eye piece. The parallax adjustment worked perfectly and smoothly.

I did not notice any severe chromatic aberrations, even though I believe my eyes are really not sensitive to that anyway, so it may pop up more to someone else. I know that others have noticed it to a small degree in this model of Steiner. In my pics you can see some, but while shooting I never noticed. It also was WET everywhere and in my experience, WET/Cloudy with sunshine really brings out the CA......think "rainbow".

Ridge line............300 yards away(ranged). The Tree Top behind the skyline is 520 yards away.......scope set on 16X

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rcLHr94.jpg?1[/img]

100 yards (through scope pic just to show reticle size at 16x............obviously it doesn't show glass quality)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/qj8snuv.jpg?1[/img]

All in all, my first impressions of this scope are VERY HIGH. It's only a few ounces heavier( like 4 ounces) than the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12 LRTS.....on my scale. For $100 more than the Elite Tactical, you are getting much more scope.....in my opinion. Assuming your fine with 56mm objective, 16x top end, and 34mm Tube, I think this Steiner is indeed a "best buy".

Here is where I'd buy one.................before they are all gone.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/stein...0136-2c97-00163ecd2826?variation=1857314

Maybe Doug will send me the next one for FREE wink.....(a guy can wish right?)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my Longmasters one in 308 and the other a longmaster rebarreled by Dresden Gun Company in 6.5 Creedmoor before Kimber came out with the Open Country. Both are shooters.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nice 'sidepass,

I love the Kimbers as well. Adam does good work!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've had a chance to take this combo out twice now in the past week. FLAWLESS. But, still not any kind of round count through it. A total of 130 more "dialing shots" have been put in this scope. Always dialing back to zero between every shot, and re-dialing appropriate dope from 100yds (Zero) to 767 yards. Using my Hornady Ballistic App, the corrections/dope have been EXACT.

Just got home from sending 90 rounds through it this afternoon. Here are a few pictures to hopefully give someone who may be interested an idea of reticle size at various distances on various powers.

397 yards.....16x (Reflection on lense is due to intense sun shining directly at my back for photo)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vSPaRyJ.jpg?1[/img]

567 Yards......16x (Reflection on lense is due to intense sun shining directly at my back for photo)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/UxkwRNX.jpg?1[/img]

567 Yards......on 6x (Reflection on lense is due to intense sun shining directly at my back for photo)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/UPHAV5C.jpg?1[/img]

Kinda fun throwing 50gr V maxes into a 10 MPH head/cross wind R-L and having to use 1.5 to 2 mil wind holds at 567.........

After using this Steiner a bit more, I'm for sure in the market for another. It's glass quality is exceedingly good. The reticle is usable for my eyes even on 4x out to 285 yards on a grapefruit sized rock with 3 direct hits on that power having to hold 6/10 of a Mil for wind. On 6x on a "deer body sized" rock, no issues making hits out to 567.

12x to 16x is very nice. When you can see EVERY detail due to glass quality, high power is more hindrance than help..............when spotting own shots.

All in all, these Steiners suit me well.

I'm not sure how many Doug has left, but here is a link

https://cameralandny.com/shop?query=Steiner%20P4xi

Last edited by screaminweasil; 10/24/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good write up, I’m surprised there isn’t more interest in this posting.
You need lower scope mounts

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet write up I would love to check one of these in my scope testing fixture that is static mounted

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Great review thanks! Steiner is making some fantastic gear these days. I’ve got 3 pairs of their binos (peregrine, wildlife Xp, and night hunters and they are all top notch

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I thought the Steiner GS-3 scopes were a very nice scope for the price, nevermind something like this.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice write-up. I really like the P4Xi and I am kinda surprised, Doug still have any left at that price. It is a fantastic scope for the money.

ILya

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We still have them for only $799.99 and now we are offering them with their P-Series AR Mount for only $849.98

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Damn!

GOD Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought Seekins lows for my Burris XTR2s. Just right with a rail. They even work with a 56mm objective.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
905 yard Rock size of a basketball.........easy peasy
Got another 57 rounds through her this afternoon. Short on time and "windier than a sac full of farts" cut her short. Luckily just a quartered tail wind, allowed for 11.4 Mils elevation and 3.5 to 4 mil L-R wind hold in the ret.
Scope still tracks perfectly as I can tell with my Strelok Pro app.
Shooting 50gr Fiocchi V max chronied again today at 3270 FPS....AVG

Returns to zero everytime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SW, Where are the P4Xi made?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kingston
SW, Where are the P4Xi made?

Colorado.......USA

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just got this scope myself. Love it.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the positive comments......... I appreciate them. I intended to reply that before, but got distracted.

Also, THANKS to Doug for offering up this incredible scope at such a great price.

AND.......Thanks to Koshkin for his writeup on this scope from years back, and his advice/question answering via PM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody got one of these they want to sell by chance? Can’t seem to find one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
439 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.