-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are nice! Classic Winchester bolt gun.

But......It don't handle like a Model 94, and that's what you get away from with the bolt guns, and I suspect to a degree, the pump.

That probably wouldn't make a difference because I don't wander like I used to, and now if I run across a 54 it might get bought...that is, if you let me blame you...(grin)

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
is it bad I like the 94 better than the 336? [

The simple fact that you had to ask that question, says something, doesn't it LOL

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have also snagged a few lever actions this past year.
The first gun I ever owned is a 1977 Marlin 336 in 30-30. My parents bought it for me when they saw I had caught the deer hunting bug so it will always be special to me. I always had a scope of some kind on it until I recently bought a used set of Skinner sights for it. It made me like it even more.
I also have a 1977 Marlin 39 with a Williams peep sight. God only knows how many rounds my sons, nephews and nieces have sent down the barrel of that little gun. A friend of mine has been trying to pry it away from me for years but this one isn't going anywhere outside my family.
I had a Remlin 1894 in 44 mag that was plagued with feeding problems from the start. I sent it back to Marlin for repair and then sold it. I replaced it with a REAL Marlin 1894. I put a set of Skinners on it and it's quickly become one of my favorite plinkers.
Then I got my first Winchester. My Uncle Hank passed away this spring and left me his NRA Centennial Model 94 rifle. I replaced the sights with a Williams peep and I've really enjoyed shooting it. It has the pistol grip stock and the longer barrel balances really well for off-hand shooting. I hope to shoot a buck with it this fall in his memory. I see now what cumminscowboy means about the handy feel of a 94.
Finally I bought a used Browning BLR in 308Win. with a pistol grip stock on the Classifieds here. I scoped it with a VX1 2-7 and I'm having blast with it. The only thing is the horrendous 6 lb. trigger, so I contacted Neil Jones about doing a trigger job. I'll shoot it some more before sending it off for any work. It seems pretty new so maybe it will loosen up a bit.
I still don't know what I like better. There's just something about a levergun.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 07/27/20.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They're both great! Since the 94 was my first the nod kind of goes to it.

Retired cat herder.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Opinions, are just that, mostly on aesthetics, not counting cartridge power, give me the 1892 Win in .38-40...second, the 1893 Marlin in any cartridge, then third, the Win 1894's in any cartridge.
The 336? an abomination to the eye, the little round bolt in it's dirt catching cavern of a receiver, it's clunky handling fencepost forearm.... but younger generations will not be satisfied with an iron sighted handy rifle, and with it's scope, it will generally outshoot many bolt guns. I think there is a direct correlation between the generations and their preferences.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my very first rifle was a lever . a daisy red rider. since then i have had maybe a 100 levers. brownins, marlins, and winchesters , with a Ithaca and a couple Henry's tossed in. deep in my being the 94 winchester has a grip on me. only have 2 at present but will not ever be without one.
forgot a couple sharps, remington's etc. 94 still just feels like a part of me when i'm holding one.

Last edited by deerstalker; 07/28/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.