Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
65465Mo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What's everyone's thoughts on sighting in, shooting , using a lead shed vs using sand bags?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my sandbags.....if the recoil bothers me a lot I put one of them between my shoulder and the butt stock.....but that's usually with my .375 H&H and I don't shoot that much anymore.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sandbags. Under the forearm and under the buttstock. Settle it in and it doesn't move. Squeeze the one under the buttstock as needed to move it up or down a bit.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like my lead sled for sighting in. The gun is steadier than I can hold it on sandbags and makes it a lot easier to dial it in.

Lots of talk that a lead sled breaks stocks, but I've never found this so, even with the recoil of 12 gauge slugguns. However I never use weight on the sled. The sled weighs 17 pounds without any other weight added. I always have the sled on a flat smooth surface so it can slide and I put the sled to my shoulder on the table. This literally adds 17 pounds to the weight to the rifle/sluggun and while it pushes back on your shoulder a little, you can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day in a tshirt. Never had any issues with a stock breaking using the sled in this manner.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the ranches I hunt on sights in with lead sleds (they have no sandbags) . I can’t get it out of my feeble mind that it seems to cause my rifle to intentionally shoot a tad higher.

I’ll sight in at home 2” high....sight in out there and I’m 7-8” high...a little more than expected. Makes me glad I have a McMillian stock on my #1 rifle, as I definitely feel they could bust a walnut stock on a “kicker” easily.

Give me sand bags.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A guy on the bench next to me had the wrist snap on his Weatherby Mark V using a lead sled. Don't know if this was cause & effect but have never seen a stock broken off bags.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It will change POI between sled and bags but so will sitting style with bags alone. I only use bags and sit as upright as possible so that my upper body is almost the same position as when standing.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lead sled= Hell no. Sand bag= hell yes.... Nuff said.. If you value your rifle, you won't use a lead sled. If you need a lead sled, you don't need to be shooting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A good friend ( a now retired gunsmith) bought a Lead Sled about fifteen years ago and intended to use it for testing / sighting in heavy-recoiling customer rifles. It was on top of a tall gun safe the first time I saw it. I looked at that contraption and couldn't imagine using something like that in place of a good solid heavy rest and bags. I'm pretty sure the gunsmith had the same thought. I don't believe the Lead Sled was ever moved from its position atop the safe; likely still there today.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lead Sled for accuracy testing, working up loads. Not too much weight in the carrier, and only if recoil would bother me. Maybe something like an unbraked .338 or .375 with a wood stock.

Zero over soft-filled bags. If using hard sandbags will place a hand (or anything that buffers) between rifle and bags. More important with light rifles, tho.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sand bags.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Caldwell Rock front rest, and 2 sandbags for the rear.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Graeme Wright used a sled for a long time while messing around with loads to check the effects on double rifle regulation but these were the big kickers like the 500NE and the like. I don't think he busted any stocks. Then again he's also got a frame that holds the sandbags and you use it standing up.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use sled with no weight to get close if it’s a new rifle. I use bags after I get it close or to check from year to year.

Never busted a stock, had sled for 20 yrs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wink_man

Lots of talk that a lead sled breaks stocks, but I've never found this so, even with the recoil of 12 gauge slugguns. However I never use weight on the sled. .

I was there to see a buddy crack the stock on his A-Bolt slug gun.
Until then, he too thought the lead sled (with weight on it) was the greatest thing since sliced bread. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Corn bags

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only tried a Lead Sled once. I felt like a damn contortionist trying to get lined up behind it. I prefer rabbit ears or a bull bag.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Lead sled= Hell no. Sand bag= hell yes.... Nuff said.. If you value your rifle, you won't use a lead sled. If you need a lead sled, you don't need to be shooting.

Read a lot on them. Seems if you tie the gun down and use extra weight it could be an issue.

I have one in AK. I use it testing ammo in the 458 win mag. I'm not as tough as I used to be, even back then I would put a bag of lead shot between heavy recoiling guns and my shoulder.

I won't tie the guns down. I don't add weight. I"ve never had an issue with a lead sled or other things that supposedly are bad.

No big deal working around the gun to use the sled, really easy once you get used to it.

That said I use a front rest and rear bunny? bag. Easy enough to use too if I'm using a rest to check loads or zero in.

So I'm gonna guess I dont' need to be shooting at least with 458, and to be honest since the sled was out I used it on the 284 too. very nice. Guess I'll sell all my stuff now.

So much of EVERYTHING these days needs to be used with common sense, but thats not very common anymore.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Neither! I fear that with a heavy recoil, fast impulse (fast recoil speed) rifle ....would impart additional stress on the scope. Probably unwarranted worry! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/14/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have seen two stocks broke due to using a lead sled, BUT that was because the same person was using it both times and had the sled loaded down so that the gun took all the recoil. Both times tried to tell him that was not the way it is suppose to be used. I learned from him that my info was incorrect until he broke the second stock then I became a genius.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.