Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal Trim and Prep Centers three years ago.It has changed my world on case prep.They have gone up a bit in price,but I'd buy another one in a heart beat.I can trim,debur,chamfer and clean the primer pockets all with this one tool at a rate of about 5 cases a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOc5NWWbQE

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...es-case-trim-and-prep-center/903156.html

I keep moving closer to one of those........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Tried a bunch and finally bit the bullet and got a Giraud.

Rather good investment.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am pretty fond of my Wilson.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Started with the Lyman accu-trim.
18 year old kid, no money it was cheap, used press she'll holders.
Total junk. Untrimmed cases were as consistent as trimmed.

Bought a used Forested. Had to add college and pilots one at
a time. (Its expensive to be poor sometimes)
Great tool, well made. Not a single issue in over 30 sick years.

Acquired a Lyman Universal in a deal.
Ok, not quite as consistent as Forrester, not as well machined.
Works ok, universal shell holders is overblown.
Forrester has one collet that does all my '06 and magnum
cases. I think the 223 also. Had to buy one for the Sweede.

My neighbor has a Redding.
It's Redding, what more to say.
If I had to acquire all new reloading equipment,
And wasn't too $ conscience, it would all be Redding.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use the Lee Quick Trim. Sometimes a little tricky to get set exactly correct but once done, works good on my RCBS press. Just remember to keep the brass shavings off the shell holder.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal Trim and Prep Centers three years ago.It has changed my world on case prep.They have gone up a bit in price,but I'd buy another one in a heart beat.I can trim,debur,chamfer and clean the primer pockets all with this one tool at a rate of about 5 cases a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOc5NWWbQE

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...es-case-trim-and-prep-center/903156.html

I keep moving closer to one of those........

My only regret is that I didn't purchase sooner.

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I paid $130 for mine,now the unit they sell without the trimmer cost about that much.But when you add up the cost of each tool,you have over a hundred dollars right there.I used to hate doing case prep in separate steps.Now I can do four steps each time I pick up a case and I'm done.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I started out with a Lyman Universal. That POS wouldn't trim a case mouth square no matter what...

This, plus there's just too much length variation with it as well due to the inconsistency of the chuck unless you re-adjust every case to be sure it's lock up correctly.

I use a Forster, with a drill attached................not super fast, but fast enough for most use unless I have a huge amount of 223 brass, then nothing is really fast enough..

MM

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I use a Forster, with a drill attached................not super fast, but fast enough for most use unless I have a huge amount of 223 brass, then nothing is really fast enough..

MM

That's what I used to do as well, but then went to the Lee cutter/pilot set in a drill press that I mentioned above. It's way way faster than a drill on my Forster trimmer, and more accurate as well. For about a $12 investment, it's worth a try. (Assuming you have a drill press, every man needs a drill press even if it's just a small cheap one.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I have a drill press & a bunch of the Lee trimmers as well; I'll give it a try. Thanks.

MM

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I use WCT trimmer on a high speed drill. It’s cheap ($23.50 on eBay) and I figured to pick it up until I can afford better. Fast forward a couple years and I am still using it because it actually does pretty well (within 0.001”) and it’s fast.

Last edited by Frankk; 12/04/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Little Crow WFT is definitely fast but one thing to keep in mind is that it indexes off the case shoulder, not the case head. If you are processing brass that wasn't all fired in the same chamber you will see variance in finished length.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Higbean
Tried a bunch and finally bit the bullet and got a Giraud.

Rather good investment.

I bought my Giruad when I was shooting High power, and was extremely glad I had it when I started shooting Pdogs.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use a L.E. Wilson. Nitride coated cutter. Consistent and easy to use. Only drawback is you have to buy a case holder for each caliber.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm a high volume user, so I went with a Giraud.

http://giraudtool.com/giraud-power-trimmer.html

Expensive, obviously, but insanely fast. It trims to length and chamfers inside and outside in one operation. I'm not exaggerating when I say it takes 2-3 SECONDS to trim a case. I did a run of 5,000 .223 cases a few months ago. Took me 5 hours with smoke breaks.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've owned and used a few different trimmers. The Lyman was not very consistent. The finished length varied with the RCBS and Forster that used collets depending on how tight you tightened the collet. The Lee case gauge type worked ok but the cutters dull quickly. The shell holders can loosen and let the case get out much too often too.

I've settled on the Wilson and the Giraud. The Wilson has all of the bells and whistles that Sinclair offers. I find it to be no slower than any other hand powered lathe style trimmer once you get used to it. The Giraud is set up in the calibers that I load in volume. I can trim 223's at a sustained rate of 16 per minute and maintain less than .001 in length. Both are rather pricey!

lightman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.