Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Im in the market for a new case trimmer and was wondering what others are using. Ive looked at the Wilsom micrometer trimmer and it appears to be of good quality but a bit more difficult to use than other trimmers. Im currently using a Hornady Cam Lock trimmer and not too impressed with the results.

[Linked Image]
HR IC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out using a Forster and it did a good job, lately I've been using a Lyman which I like because it doesn't require collets to hold the case.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What's wrong with the Wilson, besides being slow? I've been using Wilson (s) for 40 years and can't find fault. Even when dealing with bulk brass I just resign myself and kind of zen out and sooner or later I'm done. No biggie.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've read some comments on this site that lead me to think the Wilson trimmer is actually too simple for some people to use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old RCBS works for me. For high volume I hook it up with a battery powered drill. Don't forget to lube the spindle tho.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I started out with a Forster in 196....some odd. It still works just fine!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I guess when reading the instruction sheet for the Wilson, slow is probably what I was seeing more than difficult to use. It really looks like a quality unit and will most likely turn out very consistent results..

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone have one of the ones from Little Crow?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My comment wasn't about yours in particular, moreso about some I've read in the past by folks who tried one out and couldn't get the hang of it.

True, it isn't the fastest. It is quite simple, and it produces a very consistent result with the case mouths cut off square to the centerline. It also doesn't depend on the quality of fit of a pilot to the inside of the case neck.

I use the basic model with the simple screw adjustment and no hold down for the case holder, my fingers work fine for that. I did treat myself to a TiN coated cutter head when the original got dull after many years and thousands of trimmings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m still using the Lyman trimmer that I started out with some 40 odd years ago. I have replaced the cutter head a time or two, with the carbide version most recently.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Started with Dad's Herters trimmer 50 years ago. Replaced it with the RCBS, but later wished I'd bought the Lyman instead.

None of the above are in the same league with the LEWilson. The micrometer feature is nice, can record a setting (ie., return to it) when switching cartridges.

Suppose Little Crow or Dillon if volume is the thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Anyone have one of the ones from Little Crow?

Yes, I have a couple of the WFT and like them a lot. At first I thought they were a bit expensive since each one was limited to cases of the same "family", but I bought one each for .223 and .30-06 type cases and they have proven to be well worth the money in time and effort saved. Cases come out very uniform in length and it only takes 2-3 seconds each. There is some small art to it since you should use a similar pressure when feeding in the case mouth but you quickly develop a rhythm and feel for it.

The latest generation has replaceable inserts for each case type and if starting today that's the way I'd go. In fact I might still get one of those.

Still have a 35 year old Lyman electric trimmer and pilots for those one-off case types and it works as well as it ever did but it feels really slow in comparison to the WFT.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending on what mood I am in or some other excuse I crank a Lyman trimmer or do the power assist Lee trimmers.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I've been using the same old Pacific lathe trimmer I've had for almost 37 years. It's trimmed thousands of cases and the cutter is getting dull. Called Hornady customer service yesterday and was told the new cutter heads won't fit, so I guess it's time for a new one. Thinking of a Forster, but all my pilots will fit the Hornady Cam Lock trimmer so i may goo that route.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by roundoak

If you want a tip - flip that setup around so the cutter is in the drill (or better yet a drill press), and discard the shell holder piece. You can hold the cases by hand and let the pilot stop against whatever hard surface the case head is against (like the drill press table, sheet of glass or steel, etc). I use the drill press with this setup, and it's way way faster than putting each case in that shell holder.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What Yondering said

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Db102550: DO NOT overlook the Wilson - it's what I use and have used for MANY decades.
I get extremely consistent results with them.
Best of luck to you whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Wison, it's good for me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started out with a Lyman Universal. That POS wouldn't trim a case mouth square no matter what...I swapped it, but I shoulda thrown it in the Rio Grande.

I ended up with an RCBS, then discovered 3-way cutters and trim gauges. Got heavily invested in that, then converted it all to power when that became available. Now I've got quite a few bucks invested in my trimming system. I can't complain too much because it's relatively quick considering all it does in one pass. Chamfering has got to be the biggest PITA in reloading, especially if your hands are starting to get arthritic.

If I was starting over, I don't know which direction I'd take. Lotsa very good choices out there.

One thing I discovered about the later RCBS case trimmer with the improved shell holder setup...those little studs that restrain the shell holder can loosen and begin to back out. If you're using one make sure they're nice and snug. A little Loctite might be a good idea here.

I think RCBS should bring Trim Gauges back. I guess they didn't sell and that's why they discontinued them, but they're a great tool. I can change from trimming .30-06 brass to .220 Swift in about 30 seconds without adjusting a thing (and chamfering is already DONE!). I think RCBS did a poor job of marketing them, and that's why they're no longer available.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of the Frankford Arsenal Trim and Prep Centers three years ago.It has changed my world on case prep.They have gone up a bit in price,but I'd buy another one in a heart beat.I can trim,debur,chamfer and clean the primer pockets all with this one tool at a rate of about 5 cases a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOc5NWWbQE

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/ca...es-case-trim-and-prep-center/903156.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
843 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,269
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.