-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A legacy farm is one where the state has paid the owner a certain amount roughly equivalent to what a developer would pay for the land, and in return the land is listed as farm land in perpetuity. It cannot be sold for any purpose other than farming. My family has such a farm in New Jersey. There can never be houses built there.

Edit to clarify: The state pays the difference between what the land is worth as farm property versus developable property. In my uncle's case, the difference amounted to about $1000/acre, so he got $100,000 for his 100 acres. In the future, the land can still be sold for whatever it can bring, but ONLY as farm land.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 11/14/19.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A legacy farm is one where the state has paid the owner a certain amount roughly equivalent to what a developer would pay for the land, and in return the land is listed as farm land in perpetuity. It cannot be sold for any purpose other than farming. My family has such a farm in New Jersey. There can never be houses built there.

Edit to clarify: The state pays the difference between what the land is worth as farm property versus developable property.

Very interesting.

Which states do that?

I've heard of the Federales paying farmers not to farm.

I've heard of states giving agriculture land owners such as farmers or ranchers an Ag Exemption from state sales taxes of stuff they buy that's ag related.

But sure have not heard of states paying ag folks full retail development land prices to keep farming.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
all states do it... it is called a conservation easement - every one is different from the next ome

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read my re-edited edit for clarification. I don't know how many states do this, but it is in everyone's interest that they do. We are losing tillable land at a horrifying rate, and once farm land becomes houses, it is gone forever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Edit to clarify: The state pays the difference between what the land is worth as farm property versus developable property. In my uncle's case, the difference amounted to about $1000/acre, so he got $100,000 for his 100 acres. In the future, the land can still be sold for whatever it can bring, but ONLY as farm land.

Okay.

Sounds like you are selling your private property rights to land you own, to the gooberment....

Wonder what happens if they go broke? Then the farm goes on the auction block?

Are the new owners bound by the same stupidity, only they don't get the goobermint payout?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Read my re-edited edit for clarification. I don't know how many states do this, but it is in everyone's interest that they do. We are losing tillable land at a horrifying rate, and once farm land becomes houses, it is gone forever.

Bullshit.

What is in everyone's best interest is for government to keep their damned paws out of anyone's private property rights. And quit any subsidizing of industry where natural markets would be picking it's own winners and losers, rather than have them picked by big govt and the ensuing regulations.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's a step, but it can still be sold to some huge corporation, further eliminating the chance for young people to enter farming.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If someone wants to buy farm land and build condos, you are guys saying that should be prohibited? Downright unAmerican of ya. And no, there shouldn't be any .gov subsidies to keep it farmland either. You own, you do what you want. That's the American Dream.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
all states do it... it is called a conservation easement - every one is different from the next ome

I know exactly what a "conservation easement" is.

That ain't it.

There may be some instances where some portions of land are allowed to remain in agriculture, but the VAST majority of "conservation easements" by CRP or USDA/NRCS are taking agriculture land OUT of production and putting it under the heavy thump of govt control forever, never to return to productive ag land, but to restore it to it's natural state for "environmental reasons"... And give the public access to your private owned land.

Don't we have enough public land that you can't plow up and grow crops on, without the government buying more of it to keep out of ag production?

Bad subject for me.

I wonder why we have "welfare farmers or ranchers"... mad mad

We are the government. We are here to help.... NOT.

Last edited by rockinbbar; 11/14/19.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

I know exactly what a "conservation easement" is.

That ain't it.

It is, because there is stipulations in each case... and the farm has to be in a sensitive area.. its not like they just pick any old farm...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nowhere did I say that the legacy farm program is mandatory. It is a viable option for families struggling with the dilemma of keeping their land as a farm but also struggling with the economics of being farmers. Or where sons and daughters may argue over farming versus developing after the parents pass away.

If you'd rather your land turn into condos forever than feed people, that's up to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nowhere did I say that the legacy farm program is mandatory. It is a viable option for families struggling with the dilemma of keeping their land as a farm but also struggling with the economics of being farmers. Or where sons and daughters may argue over farming versus developing after the parents pass away.

If you'd rather your land turn into condos forever than feed people, that's up to you.

I'd rather maintain control of my private property rights, and my heir's free will to do with it as they see fit.

Hell, I may even want to sell the ranch when I get too damned old to run it, and buy a house on smaller acreage and have couple of million $$'s in the bank. whistle

If agriculture is to be profitable in the future, then the first thing that needs to happen is to get govt fingers out of the pie.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I said, you are perfectly free to do so. Others may not be in your position.

But remember: If agriculture is to exist at all in the future, it can't happen in subdivisions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1031 money keeps land prices inflated around here.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As I said, you are perfectly free to do so. Others may not be in your position.

But remember: If agriculture is to exist at all in the future, it can't happen in subdivisions.

If agriculture is to exist in the future, at all, we need to quit hamstringing it with dumbass subsidies and stupid govt regulations, and let it get back to the natural markets of supply and demand.

The reason it more profitable to sell land to a developer is that you make much more money that trying to scratch out a living, and sell what you produce for government approved compensation.

The USDA ain't a damned bit "for" agriculture. They are about buying agriculture products as cheaply as they can so that they can feed the boos in the inner cities on welfare and food stamps as cheaply as they can.

That way, not only the inner cities, but the rural areas are under the thumb of govt. whistle

If it cost a farmer ______$$ to grow a bushel of corn, then by God they ought to be able to sell it for a profit. Not be fed the carrot on a string as long as you walk in the direction the person with the string wants you to walk.

It ain't the farmers that benefit the most from subsidies. It's the people buying a gallon of milk in the store for $2.39, and not paying the $8 it costs to produce.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lol... you do realize the vast majority of american farming as you would think.... specifically this iowa piece.. is grain and not food for the “boo’s” as you put it...

This post is going down like 90% of the political threads on here... 99% of the posters havent a clue wtf they are talking about, but do so with such authority...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Land prices are indeed high. We have ground in western Iowa that is mixed in regards to cropland/timber. Many of the farms were purchased when land was between $400-$900 per acre. Worth way more now. Not sure that $10,000 would be seen around here but I have seen some pretty rough ground go for over $7000 per acre

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bad time to buy land for framing. With the climate change you could be in a desert or under ice and snow. Suggest we wait and see.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Lol... you do realize the vast majority of american farming as you would think.... specifically this iowa piece.. is grain and not food for the “boo’s” as you put it...

This post is going down like 90% of the political threads on here... 99% of the posters havent a clue wtf they are talking about, but do so with such authority...

LOL.

You do realize you are not talking to an inner city dumbass, don't you?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So grain isn't food?

What feeds the beef? What feeds the milk cows? Where does bread come from?

You sure are right about most of the posters here not having the most remote clue. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ol mean rough land around here is allus converted to subdivisions. even when in the past it had row crops (cotton early on, later corn).

a lot of pine timberland that housed top knotch deer hunting is also being converted to subdivisions at a frightful pace.

i understand class A farmland in california is being converted to subdivisions. don't know if it's still happening.

foodprices in the future are going to have to be sky-high to pay for those investments plus annual taxes.

of course if money ($$) continues to cheapen, they may be buying a bargain. i don't know.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.